Need Recipies from non USAers

Old January 7th 05, 11:16 PM
Tanada

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

Here is an on-line recipe (assembly instructions, really) for
lamingtons, a somewhat old-fashioned, but very popular Australian cake
/ sweet

http://www.aussieslang.com/features/...ons-recipe.asp

Of course, half of Amanda's fun will be "translating" it into
USA-speak! For example, I'm not sure what dessicated coconut is
called in the USA, but it is dried, shredded coconut. It is easy to
get in Australia, so I assume it is easy to get in the USA also.

Will she have to make these recipes? If so lamingtons are easy and
tasty, if somewhat messy.

Tish, ahhh, Australia

I dunno if she'll have to make any of this stuff, but she's supposed to
bring in various recipes from around the world. If she can bring in
ones that are favorites and tested by people she "knows" so much the
better. I'll give her what I've got and find out more today.

Pam S.

Old January 7th 05, 11:37 PM
Tanada

Yowie wrote:
"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...

Hi gang, I'm writing on behalf of the bratling, Amanda. She's taking
fundamentals of food (aka cooking 101) and one of her assignments is to
bring in recipes from places other than the USA. So, knowing that we
post troll-be-que recipes, she asked me to ask you to send your favorite
recipe from your home country. Please include your name and country as
part of the recipe.

Australia:

Cheese and vegemite swirls.

Some sort of savoury pastry - I like flakey but any will do.
If not already in a thin enough layer, roll out to the approximate thickness
you'd use as a pie crust
"Stain" one side with with vegemite (an Aussie would know how much to put
on, but its hard to describe to others. A very thin layer)
Sprinkle with your favourite cookable cheese - paremesan is nice.
Roll up like a jam roll, and slice into bite-size slices
Cook pastry according to instructions.

Yowie (aka Vicky Chapman)

Thank you everyone. She says they make some of these recipes if
possible. Now she wants to know what Monkey Bread is. Any takers?

Pam S.

Old January 8th 05, 01:35 AM
jmcquown

Tanada wrote:
Yowie wrote:
"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...

Hi gang, I'm writing on behalf of the bratling, Amanda. She's
taking fundamentals of food (aka cooking 101) and one of her
assignments is to bring in recipes from places other than the USA.

Thank you everyone. She says they make some of these recipes if
possible. Now she wants to know what Monkey Bread is. Any takers?

Pam S.

LOL Monkey Bread is nothing gourmet and definitely not from outside the U.S.

3 packages of buttermilk biscuit tubes
1 cup sugar (divided)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

Take 3 packages of buttermilk biscuit tubes (10 per roll) and cut each roll
into 4 pieces. Drop roll pieces into 1 cup sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon. drop
sugar coated pieces into a well buttered bundt pan.

Put 1/2 cup of the left over sugar/cinnamon mix and 1/2 cup packed brown
sugar and 1 cup of butter (2 sticks) into small sauce pan.

Bring this mixture just to a boil, take off heat right away. Carefully
drizzle over the biscuits. Bake at 350F degrees for 30 min.

Cool slightly and remove to a plate. Tear the biscuits apart.

Some people put chopped pecans in the bottom of the bundt pan prior to
baking.

Jill

Old January 8th 05, 01:42 AM
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
Tanada wrote:
Yowie wrote:
"Tanada" wrote in message
[...]

We used to use butterscotch pudding mix in this. Not instant. And
sometimes used bridgeford frozen roll dough instead of biscuits.

Old January 8th 05, 07:19 AM
Tish Silberbauer

My folks are from South Africa too! I grew up (in Australia) eating
baboetie, koeksisters, naatjies, spanspek, melktert and all sorts of
unusually-named things. In English, these are (in order of
appearance): curried mince pie, a kind of doughnut, mandarin oranges,
canteloupe and custard pie, but they taste *so* much better with a
funny name!

Which part of ZA did your Mum come from? My Mum came from
Johannesburg and my Dad from Pretoria and Cape Town.

Tish

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 09:55:55 -0500, Karen AKA KajiKit
wrote:

Pam, my mother is from South Africa and here's a traditional recipe
her mother taught her for spice cookies... they're delicious and very
easy to make too

[snip yummy recipe]
Old January 8th 05, 09:06 AM
Yowie

Call me an idiot... I don't have the slightest concept of how this recipe
would turn out. Isn't it just one big cookie in the bottom of a tray, or am
I missing something crucial here? I've never heard of monkey bread before
(my first thought was 'banana bread' - ie, cake made with banana mush).

Yowie

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news

Old January 8th 05, 10:36 AM
CK

Tanada wrote:

I dunno if she'll have to make any of this stuff, but she's supposed to
bring in various recipes from around the world. If she can bring in
ones that are favorites and tested by people she "knows" so much the
better. I'll give her what I've got and find out more today.

Pam S.

If she's running low on recipes, there's always the trusty
http://www.recipesource.com/
It even has some Finnish ones in there too.

I can't do these recipe things as I seldom use recipes when cooking,
it's just a pinch of this, a dash of that and some of that to taste... :/

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Old January 8th 05, 06:59 PM
jmcquown

Yowie wrote:
Call me an idiot... I don't have the slightest concept of how this
recipe would turn out. Isn't it just one big cookie in the bottom of
a tray, or am I missing something crucial here? I've never heard of
monkey bread before (my first thought was 'banana bread' - ie, cake
made with banana mush).

Yowie

I don't know if you have canned (tubed) biscuit dough over there -
Pillsbury? These aren't biscuits like cookies, but biscuits like bread.
When baked, the dough rises and stays relative soft even when browned on
top. With Monkey Bread, you cut the biscuit dough into quarters (they are
usually already 2 or 3 inch rounds about 1 inch thick) and place them in a
circular bundt cake (tube) pan with the other stuff. They come out like
pull-apart sticky buns in a circular shape with a hole in the middle from
the tube in the center of the pan.

Jill

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news

Old January 8th 05, 08:49 PM
Jo Firey

Biscuit. Brit=cookie. American=more like a scone
What we have here is a failure to communicate.

"Yowie" wrote in message
Call me an idiot... I don't have the slightest concept of how this recipe
would turn out. Isn't it just one big cookie in the bottom of a tray, or
am
I missing something crucial here? I've never heard of monkey bread before
(my first thought was 'banana bread' - ie, cake made with banana mush).

Yowie

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news

Old January 8th 05, 09:23 PM
jmcquown

Jo Firey wrote:
Biscuit. Brit=cookie. American=more like a scone
What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Exactly, Jo! Ooh, that reminds me, I need to add Scottish scones to this
thread. True, I'm a USian but my moms parents were straight off the boat
from Scotland in 1918 or so. Grandma made the best scones!

Jill

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message