Toilet Training update

Old March 15th 04, 02:42 AM
Mischief

Default Toilet Training update

Well, so far, the toilet training of Imp and Mischief is going well.
There still have been a few accidents, but nothing serious. The
aluminum pan is now in the toilet, and both of them have used it, but
reluctantly.

Mischief refused to used it at first. But then I shut her and myself
in the bathroom and sat down with her to explain things to her. Then
I scratched at the litter and she sniffed at it. She gave me this
look, "Do I HAVE to?"

I figured it might take awhile, but after a minute or so, she started
scratching at the litter and finally used it. She figured out that
the only way she was going to get out of the bathroom was to use the
pan.

Unfortunately, if I try to do the same thing to Imp, he'll just freak
out.

I can tell someone used the pan this morning, but so far neither of
them have gone. There was another accident on a towel, but so far
nothing else has been found.

Yes, this is going to be extremely slow, but progress has been made.
Once I get them used to the pan, I'll decrease the amount of litter
and then make a hole in the pan. Until then, I'll have to limit the
amount of clothes I leave lying around unless I want them "anointed"
with cat gifts.

That's all for now,

Kristi
Old March 16th 04, 03:43 AM

snip story of human forcing cats to act completely against their
nature

This is really sad and abusive. You shouldn't be forcing your cats to do
something that is completely unnatural. Why do you think they keep
having "accidents?" There are no accidents. They are just trying to pee
the way *they* want to and were *intended* to, not the way you are
trying to force them to. The whole idea of making a cat use a human
toilet, which involves them trying to balance on a slippery toilet seat
and does not allow them to dig and bury, is really cruel and I hope you
get a little common sense and stop this nonsense.

Megan (disgusted)

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 16th 04, 11:20 AM
Hopitus2

Whoa! Is she still on this project? I'd forgotten all about this losing
proposition. Incredibly stubborn hoomin.....but cats are ever more stubborn.
As I posted before, my aunt trained only one of her brood to use some
plastic deal that fit on the toilet seat....and he forever shunned it after
the day he fell into the porcelain throne's bowl. Cats will be using toilets
when we hoomins are using litterboxes.......like, NOT.

:
: This is really sad and abusive. You shouldn't be forcing your cats to do
: something that is completely unnatural. Why do you think they keep
: having "accidents?" There are no accidents. They are just trying to pee
: the way *they* want to and were *intended* to, not the way you are
: trying to force them to. The whole idea of making a cat use a human
: toilet, which involves them trying to balance on a slippery toilet seat
: and does not allow them to dig and bury, is really cruel and I hope you
: get a little common sense and stop this nonsense.
:
: Megan (disgusted)
:
:
:
: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
: nothing."
:
: -Edmund Burke
:
: Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
: http://www.stopdeclaw.com
:
: Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
: http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
:
: "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
: elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
: splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
: providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
: raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
: material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
: way."
:
: - W.H. Murray
:
:

Old March 16th 04, 12:53 PM
Yowie

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
Whoa! Is she still on this project? I'd forgotten all about this losing
proposition. Incredibly stubborn hoomin.....but cats are ever more

stubborn.
As I posted before, my aunt trained only one of her brood to use some
plastic deal that fit on the toilet seat....and he forever shunned it

after
the day he fell into the porcelain throne's bowl. Cats will be using

toilets
when we hoomins are using litterboxes.......like, NOT.

Hmm, I knew a cat that toilet trained himself (well, for urine anyway). He
never did learn to flush properly, but he did always at least touch the
flush button before scampering off to do his other secret catly business.

And this was a cat who didn't even have a litterbox - before using the
toilet he used to take himself outside to do his business.

Unfortunatley this is *not* Shmogg, but I have no complaints about his
toilet habits. If I haven't cleaned out his box, he'll poo next to it (and
its in the laundry which is tiled, so its not a huge big deal) and while
he'll pretty much wee in a box till its got its own tide, if it gets
*really* bad, he'll go in the shower cubicle. Again, its a simple matter to
clean out and in both cases its my fault for not attending his box properly,
so I don't complain.

Fluffy on the other hand, still has the occasional carpet accident if we for
whatever reason haven't noticed her sitting patiently at the back door.

Yowie

Old March 16th 04, 02:17 PM
Sherry

Whoa! Is she still on this project? I'd forgotten all about this losing
proposition. Incredibly stubborn hoomin.....but cats are ever more stubborn.
As I posted before, my aunt trained only one of her brood to use some
plastic deal that fit on the toilet seat....and he forever shunned it after
the day he fell into the porcelain throne's bowl. Cats will be using toilets
when we hoomins are using litterboxes.......like, NOT.

Heh. There are two bathrooms here, and two people. I grew up with a sister, and
raised two kids already. My days of waiting in line to use the bathroom are
over...I'm not waiting on the cats. They'll just have to make do with a
litterbox.

Sherry
Old March 16th 04, 03:09 PM
Marina

"Hopitus2" wrote
Whoa! Is she still on this project? I'd forgotten all about this losing
proposition. Incredibly stubborn hoomin.....but cats are ever more

stubborn.
As I posted before, my aunt trained only one of her brood to use some
plastic deal that fit on the toilet seat....and he forever shunned it

after
the day he fell into the porcelain throne's bowl. Cats will be using

toilets
when we hoomins are using litterboxes.......like, NOT.

Actually, my sister's cat Linus taught himself to use the toilet, though he
has two litterboxes that are always well cleaned. When he was young, he got
very much imprinted on my sister, so we think that is why he started using
the toilet - because Meowmie used it, too. He wasn't even that young when he
came to live with her, ten weeks or so. I have a picture of him somewhere
where he is using the litterbox, but sitting on the edge like he would if he
was using the toilet. Since Linus is a very "fluffy" cat, it's a wonder the
litterbox doesn't fall over!

You forgot the first rule about cats, Hop: never say never. ;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old March 16th 04, 04:39 PM
Hopitus2

Well, I apologize to you folks with cats from a different
mothership......but as you know I'm not from Missouri, but find it almost
impossible to believe this testimony w/o seeing it with my very own eyes.
OTOH I will probably go to my grave before this happens.....

"Marina" wrote in message
:
: "Hopitus2" wrote
[...]
: --
: Marina, Frank and Nikki
: Email marina (dot) kurten (at) pp (dot) inet (dot) fi
: Pics at http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/frankiennikki
:

Old March 16th 04, 07:27 PM

Yowie wrote:

Unfortunatley this is *not* Shmogg, but I have no complaints about
his toilet habits. If I haven't cleaned out his box, he'll poo
next to it (and its in the laundry which is tiled, so its not a
huge big deal) and while he'll pretty much wee in a box till its
got its own tide, if it gets *really* bad, he'll go in the shower
cubicle. Again, its a simple matter to clean out and in both
cases its my fault for not attending his box properly, so I don't
complain.

But I do hope that Joel is doing the honors until the Yowlet emerges!

Joyce
Old March 16th 04, 10:52 PM
Yowie

wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

Unfortunatley this is *not* Shmogg, but I have no complaints about
his toilet habits. If I haven't cleaned out his box, he'll poo
next to it (and its in the laundry which is tiled, so its not a
huge big deal) and while he'll pretty much wee in a box till its
got its own tide, if it gets *really* bad, he'll go in the shower
cubicle. Again, its a simple matter to clean out and in both
cases its my fault for not attending his box properly, so I don't
complain.

But I do hope that Joel is doing the honors until the Yowlet emerges!

Nope, its still my job because *technically* Shmogg is my cat not "our" cat,
and its one of those things that I"ve always done (like its Joel's job to do
the vacuuming 'just because').

I figured that if Shmogg has toxoplasmosis, and I've had him for 14 years,
and been scratched and bitten on a pretty much daily basis, I must surely
have resistance to it by now. I do take care when cleaning out his box, but
the Yowlet is, by all accounts, just fine anyway.

Here in Australia, they say you've got far more of a chance of getting
toxoplasmosis from eating raw vegies (including salad items) than you do
from any cat, especially an indoor only one. Its a risk, yes, but in the
scheme of things, not one I have worried about. As my obs said, even if I
did all the wrong things during pregancy, like smoke, drink, eat crappy
food, etc etc etc, getting into the car each day is a bigger risk to the
Yowlet then all the rest of the (controllable) risks combined. And once he
put it like that, I quit worrying about eating soft cheeses and cleaning the
litterbox.

Yowie

Old March 17th 04, 12:28 AM
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
Actually, my sister's cat Linus taught himself to use the toilet, though he

Too bad we can't leave the lid up (don't want the kids drinking out of
it!)....

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he