Should I microchip my pussy?

Old August 7th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

Default Should I microchip my pussy?

She's lived here more than a year now and I don't see her getting lost
unless I took her on a trip or something.

It's kinda like aliens putting a chip in to track you. Are there any
other benefits?

Old August 7th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Default Should I microchip my furball?

Yeah she gets away and gets pickup they can find out who she belongs to

ups.com...

Old August 7th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Matthew" wrote in message
Yeah she gets away and gets pickup they can find out who she belongs to

I want to get Gracie chipped. She ran out the front door, around the
azaleas,
and back in again just the other day.

Old August 7th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, James exclaimed (8/7/2007 9:12 AM):
She's lived here more than a year now and I don't see her getting lost
unless I took her on a trip or something.

It's kinda like aliens putting a chip in to track you. Are there any
other benefits?

It's a good idea, even for indoor-only cats. What if she gets out, gets
scared, can't find her way home, and ends up picked up by a shelter or
ends up at the vet? The chip, coupled with proper registration, ensures
she'll get home OK.

It's relatively inexpensive, painless, and AFAIK, lifelong. Meep's had
her chip since 1999, she noticed it less than she notices shots, and
it's never bothered her. I can sometimes feel it in-between her
shoulder blades, if I give her a deep shoulder massage.

If you think she might travel to other countries though, make sure you
get the right brand trip. Meep's lived in three countries, I was able
to register her chip (AVID) in all three.

jmc
Old August 7th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Aug 6, 6:42 pm, James wrote:
She's lived here more than a year now and I don't see her getting lost
unless I took her on a trip or something.

It's kinda like aliens putting a chip in to track you. Are there any
other benefits?

I'd say yes, get a microchip. Both my cats have chips and they are
indoor-only cats. You never know when there might be a tragedy or
emergency and having a microchip means you will be reunited with your
pets. I've read lots of stories where hundreds of pets were reunited
with their owners after Hurricane Katrina b/c they had a chip.

You can call your shelter and see if they will chip your cat for a
donation if you don't want to go to your vet. I paid $20 to have one
cat chipped at my shelter--a great deal IMO.

Old August 8th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 07 Aug 2007 07:26:10a, jmc wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

It's relatively inexpensive, painless, and AFAIK, lifelong.
Meep's had her chip since 1999, she noticed it less than she
notices shots, and it's never bothered her. I can sometimes
feel it in-between her shoulder blades, if I give her a deep
shoulder massage.

I can feel Shamrock's, too. He's pretty bony on his shoulders. I
have heard that they can travel to other areas of the skin. I wonder
how common that is? I guess the skin would have to be really really
loose for that to happen.

--
Cheryl

Old August 8th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

On Aug 7, 10:32 pm, Cheryl wrote:
On Mon 06 Aug 2007 07:42:58p, James wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com:

She's lived here more than a year now and I don't see her
getting lost unless I took her on a trip or something.

It's kinda like aliens putting a chip in to track you. Are
there any other benefits?

My cats (4) are all indoor-only but I got them all microchipped
after events caused by Hurricane Katrina. I'm nowhere near there,
but it brought home how something devastating can happen, and if we
were separated, there'd be no way anyone could put us back togather
again if I couldn't find them. I feel much better now knowing that
even if I can't be reached, surely one of my backups can. They ask
you to add alternate contacts. I got Home Again AVID chips - they
provide scanners to many shelters, and many of the vets here have
that brand scanner. I don't think there's a universal chip out
there yet.

--
Cheryl

If they don't have the right scanner will they at least know there's a
chip?