Pet Smart kittens & cats?

Old September 2nd 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped

Default Pet Smart kittens & cats?

"Sheelagh o" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have noticed over several months that many of our American friends
are
involved in Petsmart adoption days @ Petsmart. Would I be right in
assuming
that rescue dogs & cats are available for adoption on Saturdays &
Sundays?
How does this work? Does it mean that each shelter gets the chance to
put up
their most needy for adoption, or their most easy to home animals?
Also, how
do you all feel about this? ( I remember recently that Wendy went to
pick
some up after their trip to Petsmart, this is why I am asking the
question.)

The reason that I am so interested is because over in the UK, we don't
have
anything like that. You can buy fish, guinea Pigs, hamsters, Snakes,
birds,
rabbits & occasionally chinchillas from a pet shop.......But, never
dogs, cats,
puppies, & kittens. If you want to get a cat or a dog or kittens and
puppies,
it either has to be from an adoption centre, or a layperson selling
them
through the free ads, or a breeder. I can't think of any other way you
can
get one over here. I am sure that If I am wrong, someone will correct
me.

I'm not sure if it is legal to sell a cat or kitten in a shop anymore?
Any Brits know this one?

I was wondering if we should be considering your methods of homing, &
wondered what it entails?
( adopting one from Petsmart?)
I would be most interested to know how it all works & what you think
of the
idea too?
Thanks in advance,
Sheelagh "o"

Our PetsMart allows a no-kill shelter group to operate in their store. They
do *NOT* "sell" cats or dogs. They do charge about $85 per cat and $95 per
dog, but this is to cover the cost of spaying and neutering and the initial
vaccinations. SunMart, the no-kill that operates out of my local PetsMart
doesn't even have their own building, they're just a group of concerned
animal lovers and in between "showing" the animals at PetsMart, they foster
them with volunteers.

I would hesitate to adopt from them again, though, because the few times
that I have the cats/kittens I adopted had pretty severe health problems and
one had a very bad behavior problem. It cost me quite a bit to get "Da
Boyz" healthy (and they'll still battle the herpes virus their entire lives,
but I'm hoping a maintenance dose of L-Lysine will keep them from breaking
out or getting another URI).

I think the local shelter is not allowed to adopt out sick animals, but then
again, they probably euthanize those who are sick, so that's not saying much
for them. On the other hand, when you adopt for the local shelter you are
for sure "saving a life" because they only keep even healthy animal for a
limited period before euthanizing them.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 2nd 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On the other hand, when you adopt for the local shelter you are for sure
"saving a life" because they only keep even healthy animal for a limited
period before euthanizing them.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

That's one of the reasons I am so incredibly grateful to the shelter where I
adopted Duffy. Their policy is to keep an animal for "up to 14 days," but
they had kept Duffy for *several months.* I hate to think of him in a cage
for that long, but they clearly were doing all in their power to find a home
for him. He is the most loving, delightful cat and I will be forever
grateful that he came into my life. I send them checks now and then, but
that does not even begin to repay them for saving Duffy's life.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Old September 3rd 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Sep 2, 7:06 am, "Sheelagh o"
wrote:
On 2 Sep, 06:31, Sherry wrote:

On Sep 2, 12:15 am, "Sheelagh o"
wrote:

I have noticed over several months that many of our American friends
are
involved in Petsmart adoption days @ Petsmart. Would I be right in
assuming
that rescue dogs & cats are available for adoption on Saturdays &
Sundays?
How does this work? Does it mean that each shelter gets the chance to
put up
their most needy for adoption, or their most easy to home animals?
Also, how
do you all feel about this? ( I remember recently that Wendy went to
pick
some up after their trip to Petsmart, this is why I am asking the
question.)

This is how our Petsmart adoptions work; keep in mind I'm not sure
whether all
stores have the same policies.
Petsmart simply gives the store space rent-free to a local rescue org.
They bring animals in
from the shelter, and from foster homes, on weekends for "adoptions".
During the week, and
any other time, there's an area of cages in the stores for a few cats
chosen to stay there. It's
called "multi-cat". They are cared for by the rescue volunteers or
staff. Petsmart donates food and
litter.
Petsmart does not sell cats, or dogs. The adoptions are through the
rescue agency. The same strict
screening applies to potential adoptors the same as if they were
adopting from the regular shelter location.
Adoption fees apply, usuall around $70-$100. The animals are already
neutered and are vet-checked
and current on their vaccinations.

It is a wonderful opportunity for these animals to get far more
exposure than they would advertised from
foster homes, or in the shelter.

Our Petsmart also donates bags of litter that may have damaged
packaging, and the same for food, for foster families
to use at home.

[...]

Sheelagh "o"- Hide quoted text -

This is how our Petsmart adoptions work; keep in mind I'm not sure
whether all
stores have the same policies.
Petsmart simply gives the store space rent-free to a local rescue org.

What a fantastic idea!!!!

slapping my forehead

I can't think why no one over here hasn't come up with the same idea?
I wonder if it is because there are difficulties in getting around the
law here? I shall make it my mission to find out.

It is one of the best idea's that I have heard in a long time!! I will
get on to my line manager @ the cat protection league to see if we
can't try out a similar program over here. We don't have exactly the
same shops here, but we do have similar ones. Our local one is called
Pets at Home,(it's like a warehouse shop) which of course is an ideal
logo too.
As it is part of a chain of shops, I wouldn't expect it to happen
overnight, however, I do think this might be achievable if we ask in
the right way.

First, we have to find out if there is some law that prevents us from
doing a similar scheme here to that which have related to me- Then we
need to find out when it is best for them, & work around them (If they
agree to that is...) I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't,
because it gives them a good name in the name of charity. If people
knew that this was a regular thing, it would also be a crowd puller
too, which of course is in the shops benefit. You know how it is- you
go to the shop for milk, then come back with butter, milk, eggs,
bread, jam & tea cake too. Well, it is the same when you go to buy cat
litter too, isn't it?

It would bring a huge sigh of relief to some of our foster parents as
well. I know that over this summer, I have cared for a set couple of
kittens from 6 weeks old, then I had a mother & her 4 kittens, a pair
of snow shoes too, as well as a big fat tabby female for 4 weeks. I
know that I am not alone, because they were crying out for more foster
homes to care for these cats. As fast as one leaves, there is another
to take their place & we had to home these cats our self, which is
hard work, when you are waiting for the client to come your way,
things don't move that fast. Now, if we were able to actually show the
public what we had to offer, that would be a whole new ball game )

I'm delighted that I asked about this now. I just noticed people
mentioning that they got this or that cat from Pet shop, & although I
did realise that they were being adopted rather than bought, I didn't
like to make myself look a complete fool for asking. : I'm so pleased
I have now. If anyone has any other input that might help us out in
our quest to see if we can get a similar scheme up & running over
here.

We have adoption centers rather like you do, & we have open days where
we have like a carnival atmosphere, with rides, car boot sales, shows,
& stalls like a fete does, & that brings people into the centers, with
the same object- Whilst you are here"Why not look around & meet our
animals"? It does help too. We end up adopting 3 times as many cats as
we would normally do. Mind you, if we had the pulling power of a pet
shop, & an in house vet, there is a very high possibility that we
would have a similar response there too.

It can only do the shop the power of good if they were seen to be
"hands on" helping out the cat protection league, that is a sure fact.
We already get dinted tins of food from them & the odd bag of litter
here & there. I am certain that if we could present this in the right
fashion to them, that they would agree to it.
Any further input would be very much appreciated please?
Thank you Sherry, that has been very enlightening )
Sheelagh"o"- Hide quoted text -

Good luck! I think it is a wonderful project for you, wish you all the
success with it.
We don't have a Petsmart locally (it's a 50 mile drive for us)...so
what we do occasionally
is hold an "Adopt-a-Thon" at the local farm/ranch supply store. They
sell livestock, farm, pet supplies.
We've found that's a good place to home the larger breed dogs, as a
lot of rural people shop there.
The store always welcomes us. They even offer a 10% discount for new
adoptors to buy their
food, bedding, toys there. It's a good deal for *them* as well as us.
They don't have space or cages for us to leave animals during the
week. So we made up a looseleaf
notebook with photos and bios of the dogs and cats available at the
shelter, and they leave it on the counter.
Those pictures have actually brought a lot of people into the shelter
to look.

Sherry

Sherry

Old September 3rd 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 2 Sep, 22:03, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

What a wonderful shelter Mary. If only all of them were able to do
that for their residents. No wonder you think so highly of them &
support them so well. I think I would too if I were you too. Duffy is
a really speacial cat, isn't he?
I have often looked @ Duffy & wondered what his parentage might be. He
looks very much like a Ragdoll, British blue cross, with the blue
eye's wonderful coat markings. One question that I have always
wondered but never thought to ask @ the time, is, how old do you think
Duffy is?

I must also stress @ this point (because we all know that the Fur
Balls read the screens whilst we don't attend them..!!), that Holly is
also ever so pretty with her lovely silky smooth black coat, her
caring manner with Duffy & her superb eye colouring too. She is just
as wonderful as Duffy is any day as well ;o)
Sheelagh"o"

Old September 3rd 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

ups.com...
wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

You are absolutely correct about Holly. I'm afraid I often overlook her
when I post to this group because this NG is "health+behav," so I tend to
emphasize Duffy because he is blind and has been so remarkable in living
without sight. But Holly is truly a wonderful cat. She is my little
shadow -- everywhere I go, Holly goes. Everyone I know says she is clearly
a "one person cat," and there is no doubt of her love. She is also gorgeous
with her beautiful eyes and glossy black coat. I don't know anything about
Duffy's parentage, but I do have some information (although anecdotal) about
Holly's. My previous cat had died (Amber, age 16-1/2), and I was ready to
adopt another. I went to the animal shelter the day after Thanksgiving, but
they were closed. So I went to a pet supply store that sometimes had
kittens (for adoption, not for sale) but there were none at that time of the
year. I was talking to a woman who worked there and told her that I would
also be happy with an older cat, and she said, "Would you consider..." and
told me Holly's story. According to her (but an account that I never
verified), a local breeder had deliberately mixed two breeds in an attempt
to get a specific type of cat. She bred an Oriental shorthair and a
Persian. Holly was one of the results, but this "breeder" also specifically
wanted gray and Holly is black. The breeder planned to destroy Holly solely
because of her color, so the woman I was talking to talked her into letting
her take Holly and find a home for her. I adopted Holly the next day, and
she has been my true love ever since! She was born in early June, so she
was about 6 months old when I adopted her 12 years ago. Incidentally, I
asked my vet if Holly's physical characteristics would fit the story I was
given, and he said they would.

I adopted Duffy on Jan. 31, 2003. He was estimated by three different vets
to be between 3 and 5 years of age at that time. He is much smaller than a
Ragdoll, but I can see how you might see that possibility from his pictures.
He weighs about 8 pounds, and Holly is 9 pounds. He does not actually have
blue eyes. In fact, there is no iris or pupil at all. What you see in the
pictures is a blue glaze across his eyes caused by his blindness. I took
Duffy to a feline ophthalmologist at Texas A&M University College of
Veterinary Medicine shortly after I adopted him. I wanted an evaluation
because he could get along so well that I thought he might have some vision,
and I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to preserve it. I
learned at that time that Duffy is completely blind. If there is any residue
of vision at all (which is "minimal to nothing"), it would only be the
merest light/dark perception. He would not even be able to see broad shapes.
His condition was described as "anterior cleavage syndrome." His eyes are
much smaller than normal. Since the eyes did not grow correctly, the eyelids
also did not grow. It seems that the eyelids grow to accommodate the eye. I
was shown a model of a cat's eye. There should be space between the iris and
the cornea, but there is no space in Duffy's eyes; the two components
adhered together. This probably happened in utero, and possibly was caused
by infection in the mother. However, Duffy does not have any infection; and
this was not caused by herpes (in Duffy) or anything similar.

Thanks for asking about Holly. These are my two furbabies, and -- just as
you said -- each is equally special, in their own particular ways.

MaryL

Old September 4th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

You're story about Holly doesn't surprise me in the least. I've gotten over
being surprised by what some people will do.

You're Duffy is an inspiration as is the story of your introducing them. You
don't know how many people have heard their story. Duffy always comes up
when we are doing an adoption of a cat/kitten with vision problems. This
last summer we adopted out a kitten with cataracts and another with
glaucoma. Both of those adoptive parents heard how well Duffy has adapted.

Our rescue group is really lucky in that we have a feline ophthalmologist
who works with us gratis. He built eyelids for one kitty and consulted on
the other two that I already mentioned. It helps to have an expert discuss
the cat's long term prognosis.

The last word I got was that all of these cats were doing really well in
their adoptive homes and their people just rave on about how sweet they are.

Wendy

Old September 5th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Wendy" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks, Wendy. You made my day -- or maybe my week! It's always nice to
hear that our experiences have made a difference for others. Duffy was a
"poster cat" for a news article in our local newspaper some time ago. Just
as you described, we tried to use Duffy as encouragement for others to adopt
blind or visually impaired kitties.

You are really fortunate to have a feline ophthalmologist who will offer
services to your rescue group without charge. That is a specialty that is
in very short supply, so that makes his services doubly valuable.

MaryL