Supporting Sammy the post office cat

Old January 13th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DWMeowMix

Default Let's send Sammy Letters (WAS: Supporting Sammy the postoffice cat)

On Jan 12, 4:11*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
"Linda Boucher" wrote in message

I say we should all write Sammy a letter to his new P.O. Box 173 in
Notasulga, Alabama, Postal Code 36866-0173 *If you can, send catnip!
send Kitty toys! *I say we support Sammy! *snip

Jill

Jill, that's a wonderful idea. After reading the news report and
watching the video news feed it really pulls at your heart strings.
Libraries have cats (very famous ones too!) why not Post Offices?
Hell, we have a dog in our office! I think every place should have an
animal, especially cats. Who was Sammy really bothering anyway? Did
that person want Sammy's little patch of sunshine in the window he
slept in? PLEASE. People can be real idiots at times. No wonder I
don't have a great fondness for most of the human race.

Debbie
Old January 13th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default My apologies: I should have snipped the Cross-postings (Was: Supporting Sammy the post office cat)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
We don't need those rec.pets.cats.health+behav people storming in here
again. rec.pets.cats.anecdotes was created to get away from those people
with their constanty criticisms and lack of a sense of humour.

I apologize for not noticing this was crossposted in the first place
before I replied to the original post (and to rpchb). Here come the
trolls again. Dammit.

Mary, you should know better.

Jill

I post to *both* rpca and H+B. I seldom cross-post, but this was one time I
did because of the content. Cross-posting is usually better than
multi-posting because the responses show up in both. As to trolls, we have
had our own fair share.

MaryL

Old January 13th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Supporting Sammy the post office cat

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:10:35 -0600 from MaryL -
OUT-THE-LITTER:
People in a small town in Tennessee have rallied around to support
Sammy the cat. Someone wrote a letter of complaint because the Post
Office is a federal building and Sammy does not pay taxes.
Therefore, the writer said, Sammy should not be allowed inside.
Sammy was banned from the building because of that letter.

My "urban legend" antennae are quivering. I searched at snopes.com
but there's nothing there (yet) about this.

If this is true -- which I doubt mightily -- then either there are
significant facts we're not being told, or someone was monumentally
stupid.

Just for starters, the Post Office is legally not part of the Federal
government but is a corporation. Then of course there are many humans
who legitimately owe no taxes.

If there is indeed a post office cat, and if it was indeed banned, I
suspect it was on health and safety grounds, however specious they
might be.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Did you look at the video? It's not long, and it should answer your
question about being "real." One of the videos was on CNN.com yesterday, so
it's a recent report. Here's the same video from a different location:
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...National_.html
(Video)

Most of us call it the Post Office. However, it is actually now the U.S.
Postal Service--and, yes, it is part of the federal government. It is a
wholly owned government corporation, and that *is* part of the U.S.
Government.
http://www.libsci.sc.edu/bob/class/c...ides/corp.html

MaryL

Old January 13th 09, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Angela[_2_]

"Linda Boucher" wrote in message
| who ever wrote that letter should be ban from the post office for
life....i
| never heard of anything so stupid before...i would
| say the cat as more right to be inside that post office than that person
| does

It's not the person who wrote the letter that's at fault, it's the
bureaucrat that threw that cat out that should be fired!

Old January 13th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message
We don't need those rec.pets.cats.health+behav people storming in here
again. rec.pets.cats.anecdotes was created to get away from those people
with their constanty criticisms and lack of a sense of humour.

I apologize for not noticing this was crossposted in the first place
before I replied to the original post (and to rpchb). Here come the
trolls again. Dammit.

Mary, you should know better.

Jill

I post to *both* rpca and H+B. I seldom cross-post, but this was one time
I did because of the content. Cross-posting is usually better than
multi-posting because the responses show up in both. As to trolls, we
have had our own fair share.

MaryL

I don't care where else you post; crossposting is frowned upon here. Check
the rpca FAQ.

At any rate, I sent Sammy a letter to his new P.O. Box. I sprinked some
catnip on it

Jill

My "urban legend" antennae are quivering. I searched at snopes.com
but there's nothing there (yet) about this.

It was on the national news, dipstick.

Old January 13th 09, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 13, 12:14*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Screaming "idiot" at a post you don't know, purely because you didn't
agree with what they posted,
is probably also frowned upon in the FAQ, don't you think? And *far*
more likely to bring in what you
refer to as "trolls" than anything Mary did. Get off her back.

Perhaps in the future, anything crossposted between both cat groups
could be noted as such in the header
so that people who choose to reply with hatefulness will be fully
aware their posts are appearing in another group.

Sherry
Old January 13th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

At a post I don't know? Stan someone from H+B posted this was a false
story, a hoax. It was posted here and there and I replied to it. I clicked
on the link and read the story and watched the video. What didn't I *know*?

purely because you didn't
agree with what they posted,
is probably also frowned upon in the FAQ, don't you think? And *far*
more likely to bring in what you
refer to as "trolls" than anything Mary did. Get off her back.

How about you get off MY back? I didn't scream IDIOT at Mary. I called
that person from H&B who called the news story into question a fidiot. It
was apparent he didn't even watch the video; you could tell so even from
Mary's reply to him.

These are not the sort of people I wish to associate with. Yes, let's toss
out the FAQ. Absolutely. If you want to encourage crossposting, go for it.
Let's recombine all the cat newsgroups to we can argue continually.

I've made a lot of friends here but if it's going to turn into The War of
the Newsgroups again, heh... no problem. rpca is nice but it's not my life.

Jill

Old January 14th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Johnny Pride" wrote in message
listen bitch.......pets are not allowed inside our post office
here.....they
make smelly ****ing messes, leave paw prints on the ****ing floor and many
people are allergic to them. You miserable people are all ****ing stupid,
medication dependent wretches. You are even more worthless and bereft of
logic than your mangy, lice-covered furballs.

Well now, aren't you preshus. *pet pet pet*

Old January 14th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:27:08 -0500 from cybercat :

It was on the national news, dipstick.

Right, and everything that's on the news is true.
Suuuuuurrrrrrreeeee.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Supporting Sammy the post office cat MaryL Cat health & behaviour 43 January 17th 09 12:48 AM
Post Office cats update Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 6 July 5th 08 10:11 PM
Sammy? ChildFree23 Cat community 1 October 4th 06 02:12 PM
Sammy? ChildFree23 Cat community 18 April 8th 04 10:28 PM