Singer Boyle reaches Talent final

Old May 25th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

Default Singer Boyle reaches Talent final

In article ,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

snip

Don't get me started on what passes for "talent", these days! Aside
from her unfortunate appearance (couldn't she at least TRY to improve
her grooming?) she has a mediocre voice which might or might not profit
from a few lessons with a qualified voice teacher. Given a choice
between her and most current pop "singers", I'd probably prefer to
listen to her. (However, that's not saying much, since I'd prefer
silence to either!)

So she's not Bubbles. So what? I've heard her say nothing to suggest
she even *wants* to be another Bubbles!

Baird

--
You know you're getting old when Muzak plays the Top 40 of your salad days.
Old May 26th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article ,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Practically anyone who can carry a tune CAN!!!! The only thing
"amazing" about her voice is the chutpzah that allows her to display it
in public. To call it "beautiful" is profound overstatement, and
indicates you have not heard any TRULY beautiful voices (which is
possible, considering what gets recorded as "professional" singing these
days).

Would Callas' voice count as "beautiful?" I find Boyle's voice to be
more beautiful than Callas' - but then, I never cared for tremolo,
especially when it is screeched rather than sung.

The "beauty" of a voice is not always a measure of its quality, either.
I wouldn't say that Ethel Merman, Tina Turner or Cher had and have
particularly "beautiful" voices - but they could and can certainly
*sell* a song. Sometimes that counts for more than mere "beauty."

I'd be more impressed by Boyle's detractors if so many of them didn't
sound as though they are trying very, very hard to persuade themselves
that the grapes are sour.

Baird

--
You know you're getting old when Muzak plays the Top 40 of your salad days.
Old May 26th 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Cheryl P." wrote in message
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Practically anyone who can carry a tune CAN!!!! The only thing "amazing"
about her voice is the chutpzah that allows her to display it in public.
To call it "beautiful" is profound overstatement, and indicates you have
not heard any TRULY beautiful voices (which is possible, considering what
gets recorded as "professional" singing these days).

Could you be specific about what's missing for those of us who are not
trained musicians? She certainsly sounds dramatically different (and to
me, better) than a great many other singers, including many professionals.

I also doubt what you said elsewhere, about anyone being able to learn to
sing like that. I couldn't. I can carry a tune, especially if someone else
sings along or plays a piano, and the melody isn't too difficult. I can
quite often hit the right notes, if the music isn't too hard and I get
some help. But I can't sing like she can. I don't have the volume, or the
fullness of the sound. I also don't know the right technical music terms
to discuss this topic, alas.

I can carry a tune and was in a choir once. I cannot sing like Susan Boyle
either.

Tweed

Old May 26th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Baird Stafford" wrote in message
[...]

I get that impression too. Apparently some people think one has to look
glamorous to be a good singer. I like the fact that she doesn't try to
pretend to be something she isn't.

Joy

Old May 26th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Baird Stafford wrote:
In article ,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

snip

Don't get me started on what passes for "talent", these days! Aside
from her unfortunate appearance (couldn't she at least TRY to improve
her grooming?)

Her unfortunate appearance, Evelyn? What does it matter what she looks
like? The woman can sing.

Tweed

Old May 26th 09, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

MLB wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Scottish singer Susan Boyle has secured a place in the final of ITV's
Britain's Got Talent, after performing live on television for the
first time.

To bring it on topic, she sang, Memory from the musical, Cats. :-)

I tried to find it on the TV and computer but the only thing I could
bring up was the previous show. She is extraordinary and she is "tops".
MLB

I located it today on the computer and she definitely would get my
vote. IMHO she has a lovely voice and she is a winner as far as I am
concerned. Not everyone is a beauty contestant but I personally think
she looks just fine. MLB
Old May 26th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Scottish singer Susan Boyle has secured a place in the final of
ITV's Britain's Got Talent

The only thing "amazing" about her voice is the chutpzah that allows
her to display it in public. To call it "beautiful" is profound
overstatement

I'm not that bothered about voice quality - one of my main interests
is folk music, where the whole *point* is that any voice can do it.

But Boyle is only interested in performing the most cliched,
sentimental, commercially middle-of-the-road garbage imaginable.
I won't willingly listen to ANYBODY singing that crap, and the
fact that they have a made-for-TV romantic-fantasy background
story of overcoming frumpiness and mental retardation to get
where they are doesn't do a damn thing to make me want to listen.

Evelyn has written here or in some other forum about the singer
Thomas Quasthoff, who has some very severe physical problem. I
forget what it is; I listen to Quasthoff because of what he sounds
like. Probably he could have sucked up to a TV executive and
turned himself into a cripple-does-good success story, but he had
the good taste not to. I can think of two major-league instrumental
players I knew from recordings and was surprised to see them come
on stage in wheelchairs when I first saw them live; none of the
sleeve notes mentioned any handicaps they'd had to deal with.

Once the novelty of the "brain-damaged frump makes the big time"
angle wears off, Boyle's complete lack of originality will see
her consigned to oblivion again. She's only where she is now
because the British tabloids needed a long-running human interest
story and Jade Goody finally made herself unavailable.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old May 26th 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
Scottish singer Susan Boyle has secured a place in the final of

Once the novelty of the "brain-damaged frump makes the big time"

angle wears off, Boyle's complete lack of originality will see
her consigned to oblivion again. She's only where she is now
because the British tabloids needed a long-running human interest
story and Jade Goody finally made herself unavailable.

What a grump you are, Jack. I saw Susan Boyle for the first time last
night, I missed her the first time.
I did notice that she had a slight touch of learning disability there, but
you cannot say that she doesn't have a wonderful voice. All power to her, I
hope she wins.

Tweed

Old May 26th 09, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 25, 6:05*pm, Baird Stafford wrote:
[...]

Andrea Bocelli even had some awful reviews and distractors, who even
went as far
as to say the attraction to the public was not a great singing voice,
it was the blind-guy-
overcomes-disability card that made him a star. (I disagree). IIRC Ray
Charles didn't
call himself a singer, but a "song stylist." Still he was a wonderful
entertainer and
sang from the soul. And nobody whines like Bob Dylan.
I do like opera, but it would be a boring world if that were the only
music available.

Sherry
Old May 26th 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
Scottish singer Susan Boyle has secured a place in the final of
ITV's Britain's Got Talent

The only thing "amazing" about her voice is the chutpzah that allows
her to display it in public. To call it "beautiful" is profound
overstatement

I'm not that bothered about voice quality - one of my main interests
is folk music, where the whole *point* is that any voice can do it.

But Boyle is only interested in performing the most cliched,
sentimental, commercially middle-of-the-road garbage imaginable.
I won't willingly listen to ANYBODY singing that crap, and the
fact that they have a made-for-TV romantic-fantasy background
story of overcoming frumpiness and mental retardation to get
where they are doesn't do a damn thing to make me want to listen.

But thats what gets on TV. She'd be stupid if she sang something that the
mainstream audience couldn't relate to, and sappy overly-emotional 'Big
Number' show-tunes are pretty much the only 'style' she could do well enough
to please the audience (predominantly young and mainstream) in question.
She'd certainly look (and probably sound) extremely silly doing modern pop
songs, most jazz, rock or the blues (perhaps powerballads would work, but I
can't imagine her doing Bed of Roses by BonJovi for example).

As any performer would know, half the task of giving a well-received
performance is understanding and *working* your audience. In this regard,
she (or whoever is managing/advising her) is doing very well indeed, and the
'frumpy, old, mentally challenged unrecognised talent' schtick is just the
cherry on top.

In this regard, she's going to be quite successful... at least until the
novelty wanes (like many of the other "talents" that have been shot to
stardom and then abandoned by the likes of /Idol/, /got talent/, Stock,
Aitkin and waterman, and Malcolm McClaren). But unlike many 'talents' in
those sorts of stables, I don't think she'll be quite so gullible to the
lies those folks like to spin, and I suspect she is less likely to believe
her own publicity as the good-looking youngen's who are desperate for fame
and fortune that such mass-producers use as fodder. Even if she sinks back
into obscurity, I suspect she'll continue singing just as she did, and
remain pretty much the person she always has been. I don't think she'll
suffer the 'hasbeens' of visibly burning out to the utter glee of tabloids
as many other ex-members of the talent 'stables'.

And yes, I like many others who have no idea about 'what real music is', I
find the way she sings spine tingling and inspiring. Even if a good-looking
20-something had that voice, I'd find it enjoyable. And in the end, thats
what sells the I-Tunes downloads[1], not the critic's opinion, as valid as
it well may be.

Yowie
[1] I was going to write 'records' but thats such an old-fashioned thing to
say
--
"because its more fun to be evil" - Jarppi, _The Dudesons_

ot CAT SHOW ON AMERICAN GOT TALENT Matthew Cat anecdotes 7 June 14th 07 04:27 PM
Final FINAL Mooch Fan Club list Bobcat Cat anecdotes 1 October 11th 06 06:26 PM
Bandit's talent(?) Exocat Cat anecdotes 46 September 5th 04 08:44 PM
Such Talent! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 28 May 4th 04 09:26 PM
Snowball reaches 1 Exocat Cat anecdotes 10 March 25th 04 07:09 PM