It's Snowing!

Old February 12th 06, 09:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default It's Snowing!

badwilson wrote:
Marina wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Not that the roads were terribly treacherous; people just drive
slow. *Sigh*. I'm pretty sure that, over the summer, I biked to
work in less time that it took to drive today.

Here in Finland, some people bike to work in the winter, too. You
just need special tyres. And thick clothing, of course.

In Yellowknife, people used to go out jogging in -40C. I thought they
were freaks ;-)
In Thailand, I see people jogging in +40C. I think they are also
freaks ;-)

I expect you'll find a few freaks in Australia too, they're everywhere. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old February 13th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Used to bicycle to school when I was a teen, tenspeed bike with narrow
tires. Of course, I was a lot less smart, then.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

On 2006-02-11, Marina penned:
Here in Finland, some people bike to work in the winter, too. You
just need special tyres. And thick clothing, of course.

A few dedicated souls do that here, too. But I think it's much more
common where you are.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 13th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Rochester NY has about three or four inches on the ground. Buffalo, where
Liz and Louie live, havn't been there in a couple weeks. Most likely the
same.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I clicked on the television, purely for Peaches to have some noise to chirp
to. What's this ticker across the bottom of the screen? School closings?
Huh? I looked out the window; sure enough, it's snowing to beat the band!
Persia's sitting at the front window staring up at the white flakes
emanating from the sky.

Jill

Old February 13th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

How much snow did you end up with Cheryl?

"Cheryl Sellner" wrote in message
On Fri 10 Feb 2006 04:25:07p, jmcquown wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

I clicked on the television, purely for Peaches to have some
noise to chirp to. What's this ticker across the bottom of the
screen? School closings? Huh? I looked out the window; sure
enough, it's snowing to beat the band! Persia's sitting at the
front window staring up at the white flakes emanating from the
sky.

Jill

We have your snow now. Nor'Eastern, but we won't get it as bad as NYC
and Boston. I *knew* we weren't out of the woods yet, winterwise!
We've had the most gorgeous winter; temps way above normal, no snow
since early Dec. Oh well. That wouldn't have been natural, so I'm
sort of glad to see normal winter.

--
Cheryl

Old February 13th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:31:25 -0600, "Karen"
yodeled:

[...]

More than 2 feet here-- 26.9" in Central Park, a new record.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old February 14th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon 13 Feb 2006 10:31:25a, Karen wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
m):

How much snow did you end up with Cheryl?

We ended up with about a foot. It must have come mostly overnight
Saturday into Sunday, because it was still mostly melting as it
landed before I went to bed. It was the heaviest snow! My poor
evergreen shrubs are crushed. They're rebounding a little after
getting the snow off, but they're damaged. I lost my Comcast internet
for a day and a half. Power was iffy, but hung in there after off/on
cycles most of the day. A town about 10 miles from here registered 21
inches! How they ended up with almost double, I can't figure.

--
Cheryl
Old February 14th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Kreisleriana wrote:
More than 2 feet here-- 26.9" in Central Park, a new record.

They showed images from New York on the news here. We get that much snow
here, but not all at once, usually. P

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old February 14th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

We got about 8-10 inches. We lost power around 4:30am and didn't get it back
until 10:30am. Without power you can't even boil water to make coffee. We
ended up opening a can of tuna and eating that. Of course, the heat was gone
by then and even Lily kept climbing up on the bed to snuggle, she was so
cold!

Yesterday, my next door neighbor cleared out my driveway of about 8 inches
of snow, praise the man, and didn't charge me anything although I offered to
pay for his time and the gasoline. There are still good neighbors around.

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old February 14th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:
More than 2 feet here-- 26.9" in Central Park, a new record.

They showed images from New York on the news here. We get that much snow
here, but not all at once, usually. P

Well, we can't say that New York City gets that much *usually*.

(I'll whisper this and try not to snicker too loud, so as not to
make all the folks farther south who got clobbered by this storm
mad

We only got 3.5" of light snow here, ten miles north of
Portland, Maine. We can't even qualify for an "I survived the
blizzard of '06" T-shirt. Of course, the ski areas in the
mountains north and west got nothing, and they are not amused.

--

Wayne M.