Ping NMR

Old February 12th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ping NMR OT

Charleen Welton

YOU ARE VERY WELCOME

You are not the far away charleen I am in florida to near Daytona beach

I love spanish bar cake have some of that and a rich cup of coffee in the
morning talk about awake me up

Old February 12th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:31:51 GMT, "Christine K."

NMR wrote:

I never heard of a Spanish bar. What it is?

it is basically carrot cake with out the nuts and using cinnamon the
frosting use a little lemon juice in it to give a lip smacking taste it is
a mouth watering taste

WOW!! That sounds wonderful. Is this what the recipe was for? (I didn't
follow that thread very carefully.) I'll have to go back and look. I love
carrot cake, *except* for the nuts. So not having the nuts is a vast
improvement, IMO. And lemon in the frosting (is it a cream cheese frosting
like on regular carrot cake?) does sound yummy.

Off to find that recipe...

Joyce

The strange thing is that you all say it's without nuts, but the ones
that turned up with Google all seemed to have walnuts in them... Google
produced quite a few sites with recipes for Spanish Bar Cake.

Also, the name should probably be parsed as Spanish "Bar Cake", rather
than "Spanish Bar" Cake. Bar cake probably means that it is to be
baked in a square or rectangular pan, and sliced into bars, rather
than in a circular pan and sliced into wedges.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old February 12th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
NMR wrote:

they original one from A & P did not have them in it but most people
have
eaten the carrot cake and associate it with the Spanish Bar cake

By the way, the recipe that was posted here (that is, the URL to the
recipe posted here) did not include carrots, which is an ingredient I
consider essential to carrot cake. Also, the frosting for carrot
cake is made of cream cheese, which wasn't in that recipe either. So
I'm not so sure it's really that much like carrot cake. Maybe it's more
like spice cake?

Joyce

Sorry my bad Joyce you are right spice cake is the best example but the
taste is well you will have to try it for yourself
:-)

Old February 12th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
NMR wrote:

Sorry my bad Joyce you are right spice cake is the best example but the
taste is well you will have to try it for yourself

That's OK. I'm thinking of finding a regular carrot cake recipe and
just eliminating the nuts, while adding lemon to the frosting. Both of
those differences sound like excellent improvements to me!

Joyce

I knew I was good fro something :-D

Old February 12th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sorry my bad Joyce you are right spice cake is the best example but the
taste is well you will have to try it for yourself

That's OK. I'm thinking of finding a regular carrot cake recipe and
just eliminating the nuts, while adding lemon to the frosting. Both of
those differences sound like excellent improvements to me!
Joyce

I knew I was good fro something :-D

Reading you two's posts, I am going to doctor this recipe to my
liking, LOL, being a good baker with the ability to read a recipe
and visualize both appearance and taste of finished product:
I hate carrot cake, so will follow the carrot-less recipe to the letter
that way, BUT since I do like nuts and raisins, these will be added
to the spicy batter....
I also hate cream-cheese frosting on anything (cream cheese is only
great on bagels, IMHO) so will only dust top of finished loaf cake
(bar) with powdered sugar and see how that goes. Cake sounds
rich enough to stand on its own w/o frosting, anyway.
Thanks again, NMR. Who needs A. & P.?

Old February 14th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
NMR wrote:

they original one from A & P did not have them in it but most people
have
eaten the carrot cake and associate it with the Spanish Bar cake

By the way, the recipe that was posted here (that is, the URL to the
recipe posted here) did not include carrots, which is an ingredient I
consider essential to carrot cake. Also, the frosting for carrot
cake is made of cream cheese, which wasn't in that recipe either. So
I'm not so sure it's really that much like carrot cake. Maybe it's more
like spice cake?

Joyce

Correct, the original cake is a mild spice cake, it does not include
carrots, it also does not include nuts but does contain raisins. The correct
name is Spanish Bar Cake, Bar is for the shape. It can be baked in loaf
pans or 9x13 and cut into bars. The frosting is not, traditionally, cream
cheese frosting. It is a dark, very moist cake. And it is very, very, very
good!
Charleen