Ping NMR

Old February 11th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ping NMR OT

.. There was a real soda
fountain shop which was also the feedstore and grocery store till the
A and P came in and we got a piggly wiggly; which is gone now but I
loved the piggly wiggly. I used to love the A and P they had a
pastry called the Spanish bar cake can't find it down here in the
south anymore used to carry it at Kroger's but food lion bought them
out.

, The next town over had
an A & P, and I remember the Spanish Bar cakes. I haven't seen them in
years! Now you have me craving one! G Some of the unusual (now)
things my mom used to buy were pickled pigs feet, pickled eggs, Head
Cheese (they call it something different in the south) , and Croghan
Bologna - a pickled sausage like kielbasa. My sister used to get brine
pickled mozerella cheese from Canada. YUM! My grandmother used to make
pickled deer heart - we used everything we could from the deer. (There
seems to be a pickle theme here...)

I miss those days - would give anything to have them back again.

Ha. From my southern childhood, fond memories of MoonPies, Nehi
"pop", RC Cola, popsicles, and of course Twinkies....
and your fond memories of all that pickled stuff.....I never saw a
PigglyWiggly till I visited the Cajun cousins in LA, and every time
we went by it I would laugh & laugh at its name (I was 17). For
your yearning hearts' information: I have an email in at the corporate
HQ of A & P conglomerate re Spanish Bar Cake. I searched all
of its company stores (different stores, almost all states NE area)
and found NOTHING about this cake. Maybe we'll get lucky and
they'll send me a recipe, LOL. I never had any of this cake but I've
been told about it for years now and how good it was.

Old February 11th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

you want the recipe I have it here it is
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/ar..._Bar_Cake.html

http://fitdv.recipezaar.com/32190

after 3/10 you can buy it here and they will ship it you
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...anish+bar+cake

Old February 11th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"NMR" wrote in message
you want the recipe I have it here it is
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/ar..._Bar_Cake.html
http://fitdv.recipezaar.com/32190
after 3/10 you can buy it here and they will ship it you
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...anish+bar+cake

Thank you! Now I can finally taste it. The recipe looks easy and doesn't
call for any wierd, exotic ingredients, which I appreciate.When I was
growing up, local grocery in our neighborhood was called Margaret
Ann....which over years became Winn Dixie (now defunct).

Old February 11th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:
snipped
Ha. From my southern childhood, fond memories of MoonPies, Nehi
"pop", RC Cola, popsicles, and of course Twinkies....

Heh. I was partial to Grapettes and Chocolate Soldiers. My sister
always got a Virginia Dare.
Favorite candies were Walnettos, and you had to be young with no
fillings or crowns to eat them. Sticky!
I still drink a Chocolate Soldier once in a while. It's some kind of
*******ized, fake chocolate "milk."...but I doubt milk is in the
ingredients.
I never heard of a Spanish bar. What it is?

Sherry

Old February 11th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

it is basically carrot cake with out the nuts and using cinnamon the
frosting use a little lemon juice in it to give a lip smacking taste it is
a mouth watering taste

wrote in message
ps.com...

snipped

Old February 11th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

NMR wrote:

I never heard of a Spanish bar. What it is?

it is basically carrot cake with out the nuts and using cinnamon the
frosting use a little lemon juice in it to give a lip smacking taste it is
a mouth watering taste

WOW!! That sounds wonderful. Is this what the recipe was for? (I didn't
follow that thread very carefully.) I'll have to go back and look. I love
carrot cake, *except* for the nuts. So not having the nuts is a vast
improvement, IMO. And lemon in the frosting (is it a cream cheese frosting
like on regular carrot cake?) does sound yummy.

Off to find that recipe...

Joyce
Old February 11th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
NMR wrote:

I never heard of a Spanish bar. What it is?

it is basically carrot cake with out the nuts and using cinnamon the
frosting use a little lemon juice in it to give a lip smacking taste
it is
a mouth watering taste

WOW!! That sounds wonderful. Is this what the recipe was for? (I didn't
follow that thread very carefully.) I'll have to go back and look. I love
carrot cake, *except* for the nuts. So not having the nuts is a vast
improvement, IMO. And lemon in the frosting (is it a cream cheese frosting
like on regular carrot cake?) does sound yummy.

Off to find that recipe...

Joyce

SPANISH BAR CAKE, SPANISH BAR CAKE, YAY!!
Yes, I'm yelling. When I moved to Florida in 1989 I missed two food items
badly Howard's Green Piccalilli (which is now sold here and Spanish Bar
Cake. Back to New England I go and no SBC, what!!! Every trip there I
tried to find it. No go. Here it is. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU,
THANK YOU!
Charleen, who is not going to share the first bar, maybe the second, but
definitely not the first!!

Old February 11th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Charleen Welton wrote:

When I moved to Florida in 1989 I missed two food items
badly Howard's Green Piccalilli (which is now sold here and Spanish Bar
Cake. Back to New England I go and no SBC, what!!! Every trip there I
tried to find it. No go.

Are you saying that Spanish Bar Cake is a New England specialty? But I'm
from New England, and I've never heard of it!! I grew up there and lived
there 37 years. This is the first I've heard of it.

Joyce
Old February 11th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Charleen Welton wrote:

When I moved to Florida in 1989 I missed two food items
badly Howard's Green Piccalilli (which is now sold here and Spanish Bar
Cake. Back to New England I go and no SBC, what!!! Every trip there I
tried to find it. No go.

Are you saying that Spanish Bar Cake is a New England specialty? But I'm
from New England, and I've never heard of it!! I grew up there and lived
there 37 years. This is the first I've heard of it.

Joyce

Joyce,
I can't say for sure it was a NE specialty but it was avaliable any time I
went shopping from the time I was a kid and went with my foks until the time
I moved. It came in a white loaf box with a cellophane window, cost $1.29.
It was very popular and went quickly. Have no idea why it was called
Spanish Bar Cake, maybe some one else knows. I never saw it in any other
part of the country.
Charleen