O.T. Memorial day in the U.S.

Old May 27th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default O.T. Memorial day in the U.S.

"Ann" wrote in message
Tomorrow in the U.S. we are celebrating Memorial day. It is really on may
30 but everything here is turned into a 3 day weekend.

It's not a day for car sales or 50 percent off a TV set. It's a day to
remember all the veterans who fought and died in wars.

I want to thank all of the veterans for the sacrifices they made. My
fatther in law is was the Navy and I have heard about how difficult it can
be on the families.

Rob says thank you.

Pam S. who's been thinking about her friends and family in the military all
day

Old May 27th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

tanadashoes wrote:
"Ann" wrote in message
Tomorrow in the U.S. we are celebrating Memorial day. It is really
on may 30 but everything here is turned into a 3 day weekend.

It's not a day for car sales or 50 percent off a TV set. It's a day
to remember all the veterans who fought and died in wars.

I want to thank all of the veterans for the sacrifices they made. My
fatther in law is was the Navy and I have heard about how difficult
it can be on the families.

Rob says thank you.

Pam S. who's been thinking about her friends and family in the
military all day

Pam, ANZAC day (25th April) is Australia and New Zealand's day to honour
those who put their lives on the line to defend those 'back home'. Its also
a day to remember how darn stupid war is.

I hope you'll understand that thats the day I say silent thanks to military
folks, their families & friends, rather than on the 26th of May like you
folks do. I do remember you & Rob and the whole darn Shirk clan, and the
sacrifices you guys - and thousands like you - have made.

Not realising the significance, we all went to the Australian War Memorial
on Sunday (we think its important for Cary to know about such things and try
to take him every year... have a look at http://www.awm.gov.au/). Now I
know why there were so many American accents there, and why it was much
busier than usual. Shoulda realised....

Sorry.

Yowie

Old May 27th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Yowie" wrote in message

Pam, ANZAC day (25th April) is Australia and New Zealand's day to honour
those who put their lives on the line to defend those 'back home'. Its
also a day to remember how darn stupid war is.

I hope you'll understand that thats the day I say silent thanks to
military folks, their families & friends, rather than on the 26th of May
like you folks do. I do remember you & Rob and the whole darn Shirk clan,
and the sacrifices you guys - and thousands like you - have made.

Not realising the significance, we all went to the Australian War Memorial
on Sunday (we think its important for Cary to know about such things and
try to take him every year... have a look at http://www.awm.gov.au/).
Now I know why there were so many American accents there, and why it was
much busier than usual. Shoulda realised....

Our traditional Memorial day is May 30. The bureaucrats and such have
turned it into a three day holiday. It makes it easier to target people to
spend money, let the kids out of school for that day, let people have an
organized day off and so forth. I'm sorry that I'm cynical about it. Most
people don't seem to think about those who've gone on before, military
service or not.

Some of my father's stories about serving in the Pacific during WWII include
the Aussies that he served with. They liked to pick on each other. Vietnam
was an UN effort through part of the war. Uncle Pat died in July 1965, so
there were groups of service members from a lot of different countries
there. From the vets I've talked with on different groups, the Aussies were
the best.

Pam S.

Old May 27th 08, 09:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

tanadashoes wrote:

snip

Some of my father's stories about serving in the Pacific during WWII
include the Aussies that he served with. They liked to pick on each
other.

Very much part of the culture, that. Australia is perhaps the only country
where your worst enemy is "a bit of a *******" whilst your best friend is "a
total *******". I cant explain it very well,but its *very* important in
Australia to be able to tease and be teased in a lighthearted, self
depreciating way, and not being able to give and receive that sort of
friendly banter will isolate a person and prevent them from forming friends.

Joel & I knew we were made for each other when we spent the whole evening
trading insults and 'hanging ****' on each other. Clearly, it was love :-).
We still do it.

Yowie

Old May 27th 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
tanadashoes wrote:

snip

Some of my father's stories about serving in the Pacific during WWII
include the Aussies that he served with. They liked to pick on each
other.

Very much part of the culture, that. Australia is perhaps the only
country where your worst enemy is "a bit of a *******" whilst your
best friend is "a total *******". I cant explain it very well,but its
*very* important in Australia to be able to tease and be teased in a
lighthearted, self depreciating way, and not being able to give and
receive that sort of friendly banter will isolate a person and
prevent them from forming friends.
Joel & I knew we were made for each other when we spent the whole
evening trading insults and 'hanging ****' on each other. Clearly, it
was love :-). We still do it.

Yowie

Clearly Joel was a lucky ******* when he met you. ;-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old May 27th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^. .^=`

My Dad was also in the Navy, is buried in Steamboat Springs Colorado.
He 'went home' January 29, 2007 at age 82 and had a small Military funeral.
I couldn't atttend, but he was in my heart. He sent be a book about his and
his comerades adventures at sea, and it went missing
Mom was in The Coast Guard, she also ;left us' August 28, 2007 at age 84.
I miss you Mom and Dad and I'm proud of you.
Bless all their hearts...rest in peace, you who gave your lives for us.
Kyla
--crying

"Charleen Welton"
Our small city is having a Memorial Day ceremony this morning. My dad, 22
years US Navy, is buried in Arlington National Cemetary, 1,000 miles away.
I'll honor these local heros as I can't be in Washington today.
Charleen

"Ann" Tomorrow in the U.S. we are celebrating Memorial day. It is

--
Ann
in Connecticut

Old May 27th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Yowie" wrote in message

Very much part of the culture, that. Australia is perhaps the only country
where your worst enemy is "a bit of a *******" whilst your best friend is
"a total *******". I cant explain it very well,but its *very* important in
Australia to be able to tease and be teased in a lighthearted, self
depreciating way, and not being able to give and receive that sort of
friendly banter will isolate a person and prevent them from forming
friends.

Joel & I knew we were made for each other when we spent the whole evening
trading insults and 'hanging ****' on each other. Clearly, it was love
:-). We still do it.

OK, Rob and I are undercover Aussies. We pick on each other all the time.

Pam S.

Old June 2nd 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

tanadashoes wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

Very much part of the culture, that. Australia is perhaps the only
country where your worst enemy is "a bit of a *******" whilst your
best friend is "a total *******". I cant explain it very well,but
its *very* important in Australia to be able to tease and be teased
in a lighthearted, self depreciating way, and not being able to give
and receive that sort of friendly banter will isolate a person and
prevent them from forming friends.

Joel & I knew we were made for each other when we spent the whole
evening trading insults and 'hanging ****' on each other. Clearly,
it was love :-). We still do it.

OK, Rob and I are undercover Aussies. We pick on each other all the
time.

I'd always suspected ;-P

Yowie

Need ideas for pet cat memorial varois83 Cat health & behaviour 7 March 28th 07 02:39 AM
Help with Memorial, please [email protected] Cat anecdotes 17 November 26th 06 10:24 PM
Memorial Service KaN Cat anecdotes 23 July 24th 05 04:18 AM
The Memorial Service Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 15 December 11th 03 04:52 AM