OT - Chronic Pain Management Experience?

Old October 8th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default OT - Chronic Pain Management Experience?

It's been a month since my spinal surgery and, unfortunately, the pain has
not gone away - which pretty much means there was irreversible nerve damage
done (and I won't get into all those doctors I went to for 2 years who said
nothing could be done, which prolonged the time the nerve was pinched, which
ended up causing the permanent damage). I've dealt with constant pain in
the past, having Fibromyalgia, but this is a whole 'nother level of pain
from that.

I'm going to a chronic pain management clinic next Tuesday, but I'm not
really hopeful that much can be done - especially since I'm not willing to
take the most popularly prescribed medications like Neurontin or Lyrica
(which mess with your brain chemistry, have horrific side effects, and
horrific withdrawal symptoms).

I'd like to have some data on pain management when I talk to the doctor, but
haven't been able to find anything helpful on the 'net. Has anyone here
dealt with chronic pain management? If so, which
drugs/procedures/diets/other have had the most effectiveness?

I would appreciate any and all advice and experiences.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 8th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix

CatNipped wrote:
I'd like to have some data on pain management when I talk to the doctor, but
haven't been able to find anything helpful on the 'net. Has anyone here
dealt with chronic pain management? If so, which
drugs/procedures/diets/other have had the most effectiveness?

Well, I deal with chronic, degenerative pain and have for a long
time (severe scoliosis, sciatica, severely osteoarthritic ankle
(as in, collapsed, no cartilage), and post-polio muscle and joint
pain.) Long time = 20 years now since I broke the ankle, and
about 10 years since things started getting a lot worse with the
other systems.

Does that qualify me?

I use gabapentin (neurontin) for overall pain management and have
had no side effects and have not noticed any problems with my
brain chemistry.

At night, I use hydrocodone (vicodin) plus ibuprofen or naproxen
to reduce pain levels enough to get to sleep.

I have found that meditation helps some, and for the various
inflammatory things, avoiding the "nightshade family" (potatos,
tomatos, peppers).

Overall, though, I just cope with it and limit my activities as
needed. I'm grateful to have a DH who does many things for me,
and a job that requires mostly my brain.

Deborah
Slave to the Magnificent Seven
Old October 8th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Phoenix" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
I'd like to have some data on pain management when I talk to the doctor,
but haven't been able to find anything helpful on the 'net. Has anyone
here dealt with chronic pain management? If so, which
drugs/procedures/diets/other have had the most effectiveness?

Well, I deal with chronic, degenerative pain and have for a long time
(severe scoliosis, sciatica, severely osteoarthritic ankle (as in,
collapsed, no cartilage), and post-polio muscle and joint pain.) Long time
= 20 years now since I broke the ankle, and about 10 years since things
started getting a lot worse with the other systems.

Does that qualify me?

Unfortunately, I'd say you're over-qualified!

I use gabapentin (neurontin) for overall pain management and have had no
side effects and have not noticed any problems with my brain chemistry.

When I was taking it for Fibromyalgia it gave me "tingles" (like a constant,
mild electrical shock), a great deal of confusion (I'd be driving and
suddenly forget where I was going), aphasia, and nausea (along with a bunch
of lesser symptoms). When I stopped taking it I had, literally, DTs-like
symptoms (shaking and vomiting for 3 weeks until I ended up in the ER). I
just don't want to go that route again.

At night, I use hydrocodone (vicodin) plus ibuprofen or naproxen to reduce
pain levels enough to get to sleep.

Vicodin helps (I swore I wouldn't take it, but broke down and did when the
pain got too bad). But all my doctors so far will only give me a very
limited amount - i.e. a prescription of 30 with no refills. They claim it's
addicting (I don't see it - but maybe that's just me since I don't *like*
feeling "high" - I don't even drink alcohol because that woozy feeling
freaks me out). I didn't know you could get a "maintenance" type
prescription for it. I'll definitely ask the pain management doctor about
it! I've usually been taking just one when I get home from work (that's
when I hurt the most after a day of typing and then a long commute in the
truck with no shocks) - but that because I've "doled them out" to make them
last longer, I'd love to be able to take two a day.

I have found that meditation helps some, and for the various inflammatory
things, avoiding the "nightshade family" (potatos, tomatos, peppers).

I've heard of an anti-inflammatory diet that's supposed to help with Fibro
and other nervous system/muscular pain. They claim Fibro is from food
allergies (which makes sense to me since I'm *so* allergic to so many
things). I've only read "book reviews", though, so I don't know how true
this is or if it's just another guy trying to sell a book and make a buck.

Overall, though, I just cope with it and limit my activities as needed.
I'm grateful to have a DH who does many things for me, and a job that
requires mostly my brain.

Deborah
Slave to the Magnificent Seven

My DH is "ergonomically challenged" - he does a lot (for him), but that
still leaves a lot for me to do. And my job is pretty physically intensive
(not too much heavy lifting, but *constant* typing, which aggravates the
pain in my neck and shoulder). No help for it - it's either do the job or
starve! ;

Thanks for the info - that gives me some "talking points" for when I see the
doctor.

And please accept my clowder's purrs for your constant pain and my prayers
for you, I hope you can find something that helps you more. I'll let you
know what my doctor says.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 8th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Oct 8, 3:09�pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

Lori, YMMV, but I took Neurontin for neuropathy pain in my legs after
femoral surgery.
I didn't have any bad side effects, not that I noticed anyway. It
didn't get rid of the
either, but I think it did help.
I've always been leery of narcotics, but when it comes down to living
in severe pain, or having a monkey on my back, I suppose I'd choose
the monkey. The doc even told me once, "It's a nicer monkey than
the one you already have."

I hope you find relief, at any rate. Living in pain really isn't
living, when it's all you can think about.

Sherry
Old October 8th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

A couple of things.

Several people on the arthritis group I hang out with swear by the
chronic pain group.

Nerves take time to respond to anything. So while its frustration not
to have relief yet, you don't really know for about six months how
much the nerves will heal. Will keep the purrs coming for this one.

Narcotics taken for pain are not addicting. There is a huge
difference between physical dependence and addiction. Surgeons do not
want to be responsible for pain meds long term. Pain managements
places will.

Sometimes low level pain control works almost as well as the heavy
duty stuff. Especially if you throw in the difference in side
effects. If I take the Arthritic Strength Tylenol at bed time (it
isn't stronger, it just works for eight hours) I have a pretty good
shot at being less stiff and sore when I wake up.

But don't let the pain get ahead of you. Take the heavy duty stuff
when you need it, don't wait until you are in tears.

Jo

Old October 9th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

There *may* be other solutions... I'm no expert, but I seem to recall there
being some doohickey that effectively shoves white noise down the nerve that
causes the trouble. The brain quickly filters out the white noise and the
constant pain, and will then only register pain above that signal. If its
jus tone nevere causing you grief, you may wish to consider this.

I am also not a great believer in 'natural therapies' but perhaps
acupuncture might help, on the same general theory as shovin white noise
down the nerve causing trouble. Its not so much getting rid of the pain, but
rather, trainign the brain to ignore it (the human brain is *really* good at
ignoring almost all stimulus it receives).

And perhaps, hypnotism (you should be able to be trained to do it yourself)
for the same general reasoning of trainign the brain to filter it out as
irrelevant noise.

I do know that nerves can repair themselves, but it is *very* slow.

I'm sorry you are in this much pain. *Hugs*.

Yowie

Old October 9th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix

Jofirey wrote:
Narcotics taken for pain are not addicting. There is a huge
difference between physical dependence and addiction. Surgeons do not
want to be responsible for pain meds long term. Pain managements
places will.

Yes...and there is a lot of research now that shows that when you
take the addicting stuff for pain, it doesn't engage the
addiction circuits in the brain. For short-term pain, it makes
sense to avoid narcotics b/c it's easy to get the addict-stuff
engaged after the actual pain signals are gone. With chronic
pain, the pain signals don't ever go away.

I have a friend with severe fibro who uses morphine regularly.
She's not addicted to it, near as anyone can tell.

Sometimes low level pain control works almost as well as the heavy
duty stuff.

I forgot to tell you a trick I learned from a friend: tylenol
plus ibuprofen works almost as well (during the day) as vicodin,
but without the sleepiness. (I don't take it often due to stomach
side-effects, and an iffy liver.)

But don't let the pain get ahead of you. Take the heavy duty stuff
when you need it, don't wait until you are in tears.

Yes! Something that's hard for me to remember, too. Thanks for
the reminder.

Deborah
slave to the Magnificent Seven, and not after any Pain Queen tiaras
Old October 9th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I've had enough experience to know this is true: It takes a year to
recover from surgery. And, the older you are, the longer it takes. MLB
Old October 9th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I had forgotten about "the electric doohicky" but a friend has had this for
years. It is small like a pace maker and is implanted in her back. It
intercepts pain from the brain and makes her life a lot easier.

Old October 9th 08, 11:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I'd like to have some data on pain management when I talk to the
doctor, but haven't been able to find anything helpful on the 'net.
Has anyone here dealt with chronic pain management? If so, which
drugs/procedures/diets/other have had the most effectiveness?

There *may* be other solutions... I'm no expert, but I seem to recall there
being some doohickey that effectively shoves white noise down the nerve that
causes the trouble. The brain quickly filters out the white noise and the
constant pain, and will then only register pain above that signal. If its
jus tone nevere causing you grief, you may wish to consider this.

It's called a TENS machine. They do work for some people.

One dietary thing that might help is a low-salt diet, which reduces
fluid in the tissues and hence swelling and pressure. Some food
allergies can also produce fluid retention - wheat in particular -
it might be worth trying an elimination diet to see what happens.
Magnesium can also help (but you may need a LOT), as can B vitamins.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====