Strays

Old September 4th 03, 04:57 PM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

Default Strays

Rain It Pours.... =-\ wrote:
Does anyone know how to catch a stray cat without one of those wire
traps?? I've tried catching this cat mant times , and never works!
Any Ideas??

Sarah

The only way I've ever had any luck was with a trap. They can usually be
borrowed from a local animal control agency or animal shelter, or rented
from a feed store.

Depending on ho wwild the stray is, just spending time near it might
help. Some people on rec.pets.cats.anecdotes have reported that setting
food out and sitting nearby, and doing so on a regular basis, has
allowed stray cats to become comfortable enough to come near enough to
be petted and perhaps caged.

Dan

Old September 4th 03, 11:14 PM
Hotspur

Dan and Nancy Mahoney wrote in message ...
Rain It Pours.... =-\ wrote:
Does anyone know how to catch a stray cat without one of those wire
traps?? I've tried catching this cat mant times , and never works!
Any Ideas??

Sarah

The only way I've ever had any luck was with a trap. They can usually be
borrowed from a local animal control agency or animal shelter, or rented
from a feed store.

Depending on ho wwild the stray is, just spending time near it might
help. Some people on rec.pets.cats.anecdotes have reported that setting
food out and sitting nearby, and doing so on a regular basis, has
allowed stray cats to become comfortable enough to come near enough to
be petted and perhaps caged.

Dan

Hoomin he I've been feeding a stray (now family of them) for over a
year. Whenver we come out, they take off post haste. We even tried to
sneak up on the kittens, etc. No luck. With the trap I caught the Tom
(he's now been, uh, tutored) and just last night we got one of the
kittens.

best of luck,
Chris
Old September 8th 03, 08:10 AM
Rain It Pours.... =-\\

Thanks for the help!
I tried the sardines.. It was working until someone slammed a car door..
I'm trying to catch one beautiful cat and another larger cat that she's
very affectionate to, and their way too smart! Everyone tries to catch
her because she's so beautiful, and the other one I want to get because
I thought maybe if she had her buddy, she wouldn't feel so scared and
alone (from being away from the rest) She's at the laundry mat I go to.
I feed the "fleet" of stray cats there. Over half of them have no tails
or just a half a tail (probably because the trains that go thru)
Anyways, I want this cat so bad, that's why I posted. Nothing has
worked. Probably because someone else done it before I did. However, I'm
not the only one who feeds them, so I'm sure i'm not the only one
trying! I've seen those cage traps there, but these cats just don't fall
for it!
I caught one (or rather it caught me) but it was very young. It
"attacked" me from around a corner, and it's claws got stuck in my
jeans. LoL!

If I could just catch this family of strays, they wouldn't be strays
anymore. I could "tame" them and find good homes! No such luck yet. =(
Thanks again for the help.

Sarah

Old September 8th 03, 05:59 PM
Rain It Pours.... =-\\

I thought that too. I think maybe I could. Atleast try, anyways. I can
get real close to them, but if I try to get within arms reach, they run.
I also have to take off my shoes, I noticed they watch my feet, so I
figured my shoes scare them, or the way it sounds when walking on loose
pebbles. When I started to take them off they ran, (I also was a
distance away) so I figured maybe people have thrown shoes at them?

I don't know... I can try. And to me that counts. =)

Sarah

Old September 8th 03, 10:44 PM
William Hamblen

On 2003-09-08, Rain It Pours.... =-\ wrote:

I feed the "fleet" of stray cats there. Over half of them have no tails
or just a half a tail (probably because the trains that go thru)

You might have a colony of Manx cats. The gene that produces taillessness
sometimes produces half-tails. There used to be a colony of Manx cats
that lived in the railroad yard where my grandfather was a brakemen. He
caught one and brought it home to the children.

Old September 9th 03, 02:37 AM
Fred Williams

Unca Cory wrote:

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 03:10:15 -0400 (EDT), Rain It Pours.... =-
said... snip...
If I could just catch this family of strays, they wouldn't be
strays anymore. I could "tame" them and find good homes!

Not necessarily. Some feral cats are simply untameable sp?.
They've been outdoors for so long, away from prolonged human
contact, that nothing in the world will "tame" them.

--- Cory

No such luck yet. =( Thanks again for the help.

Sarah

Jetadiah is sort of like that, although we think he may have been
abused when he was younger. He's been coming around here for about 7
or 8 years. The first two years he wouldn't come near the house.
Then we started feeding him at the door in the carport. I built a
shelter for him. After a couple more years, I actually got to touch
him when I fed him. Last winter was hard and when he started walking
on three legs, (arthritis we believe), I trapped him and got him to
the vet's. He got a clean bill of health and all his shots and spent
the rest of the winter hiding in the basement and occasionally
howling in the middle of the night.
We let him out in spring and he's had a great summer; eating at the
door and being very friendly while only my hand is outside. As soon
as I set a foot out there, he's retreating about ten feet, usually
under the porch.
He's an extremely intelligent cat. He came in one night a couple of
weeks ago walking right by me while I was petting him. He went
downstairs and spent the night. We tried to get him out the next
morning, but he was not coming near us again and when we left the
door open and backed off, he stayed in the basement, hiding/sleeping,
who knows. The next night I'm watching TV and I hear a couple of big
thumps at the door. I looked over to see that it was open. "Hmmm, I
was sure I left that closed." On inspection I find Jetadiah outside
on the porch. He had jumped up and operated the latch and opened the
door by himself. I told mum and she said she herself had trouble
with that door. She said she had to kick it. I said that from the
sound of it, so did Jetadiah. (:-))
A couple of nights earlier I saw a young skunk in the carport with
Jetadiah. I wasn't worried, because I'd seen him with skunks before
and he knows to leave them alone. This time when the skunk came to
get his food, Jetadiah hissed and went to challange the skunk. I was
saying things like, "That's not a good idea Jatadiah." and stuff like
that. He ignored me. Then started batting the skunk
up-side-the-head with his claws!!! I thought well, he's finished,
but strangely enough the skunk backs down and walks away. Now
Jetadiah had to know that young skunks haven't got their scent fully
developed yet, or don't know how to use it. Whatever. But somehow
he knew it would be OK. DON'T TRY THAT AT HOME, FOLKS! This cat is
smarter than I am. He's perfectly suited to his environment. He is
"one" with the forest and the fields. : The perfect being.
But the point of the whole thing is that with a very feral cat,
you'll only get limited success and it takes many years. If they
won't come in, you may be able to help them live safely and provide
shelter where they are, outside. When the weather is cold, Jetadiah
eats much more than an indoor cat, and we see less of him, but we're
prepared to help him live on his own terms. We negotiate, and once
in a while we take the upper hand if we feel he's in danger. I think
this winter when it starts to get cold he'll come in of his own free
will, and we'll let him out when he asks, as long as we don't have to
hold the door open to the winter too long. We're in Canada and it
can get cold here... It *does* get cold here.

--
Regards
Fred

Remove FFFf to reply, please
Old September 9th 03, 12:08 PM
Fred Williams

Unca Cory wrote:

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:37:21 -0400, Fred Williams said...
shredded fur da serfur...
We're in Canada and it can get cold here... It *does* get cold
here.

Weez (Pawpa anna mineownself) thawt yu wuz frum Englund, Unca Fred.
Go figgur.

--- Onyx

My mum's from Manchester, and of course if you go back far enough the
"Williams" family is from Wales. We still have a Welsh motto on our
family crest. But now we're living in Quebec, Canada, and watching
Manchester United when it's shown on the TV. (not often enough).

--
Regards
Fred

Remove FFFf to reply, please
Old September 10th 03, 08:44 PM
Jennifer

It takes a long time to win a strays trust. I suggest bringing it simple
cat food for awhile then slowly build a bond with it. Once a stray came up
and with alot of coaxing it came to me.
Best of Luck I'm sure you'll do fine!

Old September 11th 03, 06:13 AM
Rain It Pours.... =-\\

Yes.. I got to touch her today. I didn't grab her up or anything, but
she let me pet her head once. Better than nothing I guess.
She freaked out afterwards and ran off. Maybe i'll do better next time.
She seems picky, so maybe I didn't do it to her liking. hehe

thanks everyone!
Sarah