And...

Old April 23rd 10, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Default And...

wrote:
Yowie wrote:

Can appreciate where you are coming from.

Most toilets in shopping malls are internal, that is, have no windows.

And if I am with the Yowlet I usually use th disabled toilet if there's no
"parent's room" because he now refuses to come into the women's toilet with
me (where is he going to wait?), and I don't like the idea of him going into
the men's without supervision. (Its both a matter of wanting him to be safe
*and* not wanting him to get into mischeif).

So there I am, pants around the ankles, doing what I had to do, with Cary
poking and prodding at anything and everything, when all a sudden he flips
the switch for the lights.

It is now pitch black.

He immediately screams and freaks out.

I tell him to turn the lights back on, but its too late. He's too scared to
know where the light switch was.

Of course, there's a problem. My pants are around my ankles, I am in
desperate need for a good application of TP, I can't see a damn thing, and
my child - who I can't see - is hysterical.

There is literally *no* light. None. There was nothing for my eyes to get
adjusted to. It was black and it was going to stay black.

Mothers can do miracles when their kids are screaming in mortal fear. I
found him and held him straight away. I didn't trip over my pants and I
didn't knock into anything until I had him in my arms.

But then I had to find hte light switch with Cary clutching me in a death
grip, all the while with my ankles tied up in jeans and undies, my bare
arse in need of a good clean, and with the horrid knowledge that a) public
restrooms are not particularly clean at any point and b) I'm going to have
to do all of this by *feel*.

It was not a pleasant nor painless process, but I did manage to eventually
find the light switch, then calm Cary down, and then finish off what I had
started.

I dread to think what woudl have happened if there was a blackout and the
lights couldn't have been turned back on *and* I was genuinely physically
disabled. Not even an emergency light int here or those glow in the dark
stickers to point to the exit. The management to whom I complained were less
than sympathetic, all the could say was that I should have supervised my
child better, although I personally think they were in breach of some sort
of building regulation by not having emergency lighting or the glow in the
dark signs..

Needless to say, we don't shop there any more.

Thanks for the hilarious story. You knew we would find this hilarious,
didn't you? I'm sure it wasn't a single bit funny at the time, but...
what an image!! (At least you can have the comfort of knowing that the
image was not visible for most of the time.)

management - what a jerk! Can't take even a reasonable suggestion,
but has to turn it back on you? Not very good at customer relations, are
they?

Suggestion: bring a small flashlight and keep it in your purse. Even
if you never go into that mall again, you might encounter a lightless
bathroom somewhere else.

Joyce

Thinking about it, I always have my phone in my pocket, that would give
enough light to find the switch.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old April 23rd 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

very well put, Lee
"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
Stormmee typed:
yes you can explain most components of it, because you know there are
colors something you can't acess, and something i learned before i
lost all of mine, the biggest abuse of blind people in an every day
living sort of way is the fact that public restrooms MUST be
accessable for wheelchair people, but they don't do things like make
the paper rolls be in the same place in the stalls, not just restroom
to restroom but in different stalls in the same restroom. and the
towel racks/soap dispensers and hand dryers are everywhere at
differing hieights, its very easy to understand and explain to those
who can see how disconcerting and physically painful it is when you
can't find or run into the towel dispenser... Lee

[...]

Yowie

Old April 23rd 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

i was thinking my sister has a teeny tiny led light on her keychain because
one of her kids is terrfied of the dark, Lee
wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

[...]

Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
-- Joseph Wood Krutch

Old April 23rd 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

our family calls this bag "the giant mom purse" or "the majic bag"

Lee
"Yowie" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

[...]

Nah, I need a bat belt with all the tools of the motherhood trade. Wipes,
spare clothes, bandaids, drink, small toy (for distraction in boring
situations), spare clothes, tissues, kiddy tylenol, mobile phone, keys,
earplugs, emergency sewing kit, torch, screwdriver/nail file, sticky tape,
sunnies, etc etc

or, in other words, a giant and unfashionable tote bag where all that sort
of stuff along with a mysterious sock, some fluff covered candy, hair
pins, ex-tissues, small change, an old and out of fashion half melted
lipstic, a few tampons etc etc all sit in the bottom and jingle

Yowie

Old April 23rd 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Yowie wrote:
wrote:
Yowie wrote:

[...]

I had that when the kids were little, it was called a diaper bag. Then
I graduated to the enormous purse (little suitcase) then a slightly
smaller suitcase. I went shopping for a more appropriate bag for Rob's
memorial service. I couldn't fit any of the many tools I carry around
in it. I make sure that the car keys are on the thing when I use it.
The rest of the stuff is kept in a bag in the van.

Pam S.
Old April 23rd 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

I cannot see if I go outside into bright light from dull. Or the reverse.
My eyes say no.
I have to get a torch if I want to see what is in my cupboards.
There are all sorts of visual impairment.
I'm getting negative from my new manager at work, she wants to me perform
better than my sight allows me to do.

Old April 23rd 10, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote in message

Yowie wrote:

wrote:

Suggestion: bring a small flashlight and keep it in your purse. Even
if you never go into that mall again, you might encounter a
lightless bathroom somewhere else.

Nah, I need a bat belt with all the tools of the motherhood trade.
Wipes, spare clothes, bandaids, drink, small toy (for distraction in
boring situations), spare clothes, tissues, kiddy tylenol, mobile
phone, keys, earplugs, emergency sewing kit, torch, screwdriver/nail
file, sticky tape, sunnies, etc etc

or, in other words, a giant and unfashionable tote bag where all
that sort of stuff along with a mysterious sock, some fluff covered
candy, hair pins, ex-tissues, small change, an old and out of
fashion half melted lipstic, a few tampons etc etc all sit in the
bottom and jingle

In other words, the one you already have?

Howdja guess????

I hate the thing, and only bring it along when I'm going to be out for a
long period of time. I personally would prefer a bat belt, or camo-pants
with an infnite number of pockets. I really despise having to carry a bag,
and am most miffed that back-packs are now out of fashion again since min
broke. I jsut wasn't blessed with the sort of shoulder than can keep a bag
on easily.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old April 23rd 10, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I never had kids, but i still hate a bag, i bring it fully loaded into the
car, and i have a jacket i wear "in" with the min req. for whatever i am
doing. so if i need one of those tools they are a short way away but don't
intrude on me otherwise, Lee, avowed purse hater
"Yowie" wrote in message

Old April 23rd 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

I personally would prefer a bat belt, or camo-pants
with an infnite number of pockets. I really despise having to carry a bag,
and am most miffed that back-packs are now out of fashion again since min
broke. I jsut wasn't blessed with the sort of shoulder than can keep a bag
on easily.

Is a "bat belt" the same as what we might call a "waist pack"? (Or, more
commonly, something Australians would consider very rude. ) You wear it
around your waist, and the pack rests just above your butt. I used to have
a very large one that fit a lot of things, although it would not have been
able to accomodate a change of clothes!

http://www.rei.com/product/739712?pr...:referralID=NA

(Or: http://tinyurl.com/27rwapp )

I used to find these indispensible, but when my last one broke, I
replaced it with a shoulder bag whose strap goes across my body
diagonally. This just happened to coincide with my finally getting a
job after a few years' unemployment, so I was wearing clothes that
looked a bit more professional than the worn-out jeans and dumpy
shirt uniform of the "too broke to buy new clothes" set. And the
butt-pack just didn't go with my new look.

I tend to stuff all kinds of things into my bag. Sometimes it gets a
bit bulgy and sticks out into the personal space of someone sitting
next to me. A friend of mine calls it a "menace to society".

When I was young I used to wear denim overalls all the time - those
also have pockets everywhere, very practical. Plus, they provided
bodily protection in case a cat happened to run up me all the way to
my ribcage, and then hang there staring at me with wackadoodle eyes
(yes, this did happen frequently).

Joyce

--
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me,
for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me