Cats and Embroidery Thread

Old October 22nd 03, 02:40 AM
Gizela

Default Cats and Embroidery Thread

Last night while doing cross stitch I noticed that quite a long piece of thread had gone missing, along with Gizmo, I then spotted Gizmo sitting in the corner happily playing with the thread....not a problem, till I went to retrieve it off her and it disappeared down her throat. Picture me, opening her mouth trying to retrieve it and my other half calling TED....who said that it shouldn't be a problem but to watch her anyway (apparently the thread "should" breakdown in her digestive tract).....she seemed OK this morning....

Lets hope nothing *bad* comes of it

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo
Old October 22nd 03, 03:34 AM
Nan

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:40:47 +1000, "Gizela"
u wrote:

Last night while doing cross stitch I noticed that quite a long piece of thread had gone missing, along with Gizmo, I then spotted Gizmo sitting in the corner happily playing with the thread....not a problem, till I went to retrieve it off her and it disappeared down her throat. Picture me, opening her mouth trying to retrieve it and my other half calling TED....who said that it shouldn't be a problem but to watch her anyway (apparently the thread "should" breakdown in her digestive tract).....she seemed OK this morning....

Lets hope nothing *bad* comes of it

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

Purrs that Gizmo digests the the embroidery thread with no ill
effects.

Tiger always has to help me with my cross stitch, usually getting
between me and the light. He loves to watch the needle going in and
out and occasionally tries to catch the thread. It really makes for
an interesting session with one cat on the arm of my chair and the
other one on my lap.

Nan
Old October 22nd 03, 05:01 AM
Marina

"Gizela" u wrote
Last night while doing cross stitch I noticed that quite a long piece of

thread had gone missing, along with Gizmo, I then spotted Gizmo sitting in
the corner happily playing with the thread....not a problem, till I went to
retrieve it off her and it disappeared down her throat. Picture me, opening
her mouth trying to retrieve it and my other half calling TED....who said
that it shouldn't be a problem but to watch her anyway (apparently the
thread "should" breakdown in her digestive tract).....she seemed OK this
morning....

Purrs that she does break it down.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 22nd 03, 07:14 AM
Takayuki

"Gizela" u wrote:
Last night while doing cross stitch I noticed that quite a long piece of
thread had gone missing, along with Gizmo, I then spotted Gizmo sitting
in the corner happily playing with the thread....not a problem, till I
went to retrieve it off her and it disappeared down her throat. Picture
me, opening her mouth trying to retrieve it and my other half calling
TED....who said that it shouldn't be a problem but to watch her anyway
(apparently the thread "should" breakdown in her digestive
tract).....she seemed OK this morning....

From what I've read, there's also a good chance that it would go
through intact. The only advice I can think of is that if you see it
come out, to cut off the end instead of pulling on it.

Isn't cross-stitch thread a fairly thick thread?

Old October 22nd 03, 10:13 AM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snip Picture me, opening her mouth trying to retrieve it and my other half

Old October 22nd 03, 01:52 PM
Sherry

I've read on other groups that this is a critical situation and many cats
require surgery, etc. for ingesting string.
On the other hand, think about all the stuff cats eat we don't know about.There
sure are a lot of cats at the shelter who have obviously at some time or other
eating that peel-off thingy that's around a slice of bologna and it all comes
out okay in the end. (pardon the pun AND the disgusting mental picture). Good
luck! Keep us posted.
Sherry
Old October 22nd 03, 06:06 PM
Adrian

Gizela wrote:
Last night while doing cross stitch I noticed that quite a long piece
of thread had gone missing, along with Gizmo, I then spotted Gizmo
sitting in the corner happily playing with the thread....not a
problem, till I went to retrieve it off her and it disappeared down
her throat. Picture me, opening her mouth trying to retrieve it and
my other half calling TED....who said that it shouldn't be a problem
but to watch her anyway (apparently the thread "should" breakdown in
her digestive tract).....she seemed OK this morning....

Lets hope nothing *bad* comes of it

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

Purrs that Gizmo is OK.
Please don't post messages using HTML
--
Adrian
A House Is Not A Home, Without A Cat.

Old October 22nd 03, 07:48 PM
Jette Goldie

"Gizela" u wrote in message
Last night while doing cross stitch I noticed that quite a long piece of

thread had gone missing, along with Gizmo, I then spotted Gizmo sitting in
the corner happily playing with the thread....not a problem, till I went to
retrieve it off her and it disappeared down her throat. Picture me, opening
her mouth trying to retrieve it and my other half calling TED....who said
that it shouldn't be a problem but to watch her anyway (apparently the
thread "should" breakdown in her digestive tract).....she seemed OK this
morning....

Lets hope nothing *bad* comes of it

I've just watched a cat on "Animal Hospital" having a major
stomach operation to get cotton thread - like embroidery
thread - removed from its guts where it was causing severe
problems.

--
Jette Goldie

Apache and Dakota
http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/kitties.html

Old October 22nd 03, 11:59 PM
Charles Kincaid

Takayuki wrote in
:

"Gizela" u wrote:
From what I've read, there's also a good chance that it would go
through intact. The only advice I can think of is that if you see it
come out, to cut off the end instead of pulling on it.

Isn't cross-stitch thread a fairly thick thread?

My wife loves to wrap packages (somewhat tough for a blind person) and
she is VERY good at it. Our boy cat, Lamoni, loves to play with ribbon.
This gives an extra challenge to the wrapper.

One day my wife said that she had lost a peice of ribbon while wrapping
one of the Christmas presents. We both looked around the table and could
not find it.

Two days later she called me at work to say that she had found the
ribbon. While petting Lamoni she noticed something shiny under his tail
(so not completely blind). She grabbed hold and just let him walk away
from it.

This was several years ago. Cat and wife both doing fine.

Best to keep non cat food items out of the cat though. You never know.

--
ATB

Charles Kincaid
Old October 24th 03, 02:46 AM
Tanada

Gizela wrote:

Last night while doing cross stitch I noticed that quite a long piece
of thread had gone missing, along with Gizmo, I then spotted Gizmo
sitting in the corner happily playing with the thread....not a
problem, till I went to retrieve it off her and it disappeared down
her throat. Picture me, opening her mouth trying to retrieve it and my
other half calling TED....who said that it shouldn't be a problem but
to watch her anyway (apparently the thread "should" breakdown in her
digestive tract).....she seemed OK this morning....

Lets hope nothing *bad* comes of it

Angela, that is one of my biggest fears, when I'm doing any kind of
needle work. Another one is that the cat will find a way to step on,
sit upon, or ingest a needle. Fortunately, most of them are bored by my
stitching. Huey and Pine Cone are the only ones who really get involved
with me, though QC and Penny have been known to try to help out Rob and
Jim when they're working.

Pam S. still stitching away