OT. Rant

Old November 19th 04, 09:54 AM

CK wrote:

You can always put *on* more and warmer clothes, but if it's hot, like I
expect it to be in California, you can only take *off* so much...

Actually, it doesn't get too hot where I live, the San Francisco area.
This is a very moderate climate, appealing to both cold- and hot-weather
wimps alike. Occasionally, we'll get a 100-degree (38C) day, but most
of the time it's quite temperate. Other parts of California have hotter
temperatures, but I'm in Weather Wimp Central, and I fear that I'll never
be able to tolerate more extreme climates.

Now politically, it's another story. Lots of polarization around here -
extreme left AND extreme right. Maybe people are bored with the weather.

Joyce

Old November 19th 04, 12:05 PM
jmcquown

Christina Websell wrote:
I'm very upset. I've mailed for quite a few years to an American
woman that I knew from my chicken group. We got on pretty well.
Last year she forwarded me a mail that I considered to be racist, but
it was only a few hours before I was due to fly to visit my German
friend, so I mailed a disapproving reply and said I'd like to discuss
it with her when I got back. I never did.

A few weeks ago she started to forward me pro-Bush mails. Well, I'm
sorry, but he seems to be a bit shall we say intellectually
challenged, so I said so.

But now, she is sending what seems to some sort of fundamental
Christian mails to me. Extremely racist, homophobic and right wing.
I have challenged her on every mail and she just got cross and said I
was a stupid liberal. There is more, but I won't bore you with it.
I just won't have her tell me that she refuses to let anyone into
America and if so they must speak English. For G's sake. If she was
true to her word she ought to speak Native American. It isn't her
country, after all.

I told her I don't want to have a friend who thinks like this. She
told me she doesn't want to have a friend that is ineducable about
what is going on in America.

It will be painful for me to fall out with her, but I cannot tolerate
a racist and bigot. She thinks she is right, and I think I am right.
I can't see that being a racist and a bigot is right in any country.
She quotes the Bible at me. I told her that I didn't think God was a
bigot. This is hard for me. We have been friends, and we are falling
out about Bush. That was the first thing. I'll never compromise
about the other racism and homophobic stuff.
It might be the end of our friendship.

Tweed

I'm very sorry to hear about this. If you've been emailing for a couple of
years I'm surprised none of this came through in the tone of the letters
sooner. Perhaps something happened to cause her to go off the deep end.

I won't tolerate racist remarks. And raving about politics or someone
trying to shove their religious beliefs down my throat are things that will
tear up a friendship pronto.

Rest assured not all Americans are like this. I know that doesn't help with
your situation but I needed to say it.

Best of luck,
Jill

Old November 19th 04, 02:15 PM
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
him soon after. I think this country must be pretty open-minded and
unbiased to elect someone like her for pres. Oh, and she has two cats! )

Hmmm... how hard is it to immigrate to Finland? Though I'm not sure I
could survive one of your winters...

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he