Breeding guidelines - Seeking Info - Sphinx

Old December 29th 03, 05:30 PM
chris

Default Breeding guidelines - Seeking Info - Sphinx

I'm an owner of a beautifly sphinx cat who I am very much interested
in breeding. Having introduced just about both of our entire families
to our girl Cleo, we've found that many would enjoy owning one of
their own. Anyone not familiar with the breed....how can i put it?
Sphinx cats seem to be part monkey, part dog, and part cat....they're
very intelligent, very affectionate.....and atheletic as all get out,
incredibly agile....and they love to jump....big fans of the hanging
toys and chasing the laserpointer around the house

To my surprise it was the men of the family who most enjoyed her
company during the holidays, and I've come to the conclusion that it
would be for the best if we were to raise a litter. cleo's mother was
able to nurse her, so I'm not worried about her maternal instincts so
much as I am possible legal ramifications that could come about from
doing this. If she's not able to produce milk for whatever reason,
my wife and I would be able to ensure that the babies are fed every
3-4 hours....I've done a lot of research and feel very confident that
we're capable of ensuring the safety of each kitten

The papers I received with shipment when Cleo was a baby had nothing
written in terms of agreeing to have her spayed by a certain
time....neither is there any language indicating that the owner would
prefer to not have the animal bred going forward......so to me,
especially considering the price i paid for her $1700+, that breeding
her would not be a problem, but I wanted to run it by this group to
see if I was posibly crossing a line here. Any information or links
to sites which list laws or regulations would be very much
appreciated....as of now I haven't been able to find anything. As the
owner I feel that since no agreement was made as far as spaying the
cat by a certain date that it is now up to me.....

Thanks - Chris
Old December 29th 03, 09:12 PM
Sonam Dasara

I'm no expert, but I do own a purebred and CFA registered Persian, and
spent a great deal of time researching breeders and purebreds, so I'll share
what i know. And for the purposes of this discussion, I'm presuming that you
delt with a CFA breeder and that your cat is a registered purebred.

First, when you met the breeder, there must have been an agreement
between you as to whether you were purchasing a "pet", "breeder" or "show"
cat, and if the breeder was furnishing the registration papers upon
particular conditions such as neutering the cat, which is, in effect,
stating that she was not sold to be bred. For $1700, she may be a pet. And
if the contract states that you must spay her, even if there is not date,
you may NOT breed her; no legitimate cattery would provide stud service, and
the kittens could not be registered as purebred.

Tho my furbaby is a Champion, our agreement was that she would be spayed
before I took her, and that her CFA registration papers were furnished to me
if I wish to continue to show her in the "Premier" (neutered) class (I
don't, but that's not relevant). Obviously, my breeder did not want her
bloodline associated with just anycat, which is why she was sold neutered.
So somehow, somewhere, there must have been an agreement between you and the
breeder, deliniating your rights and responsibilities. My breeder used a
standard, printed CFA contract.

Being that as it may, you will have to exchange paperwork with any
potential stud, and pay for the stud service as well as to register the
kittens with the CFA, so you should make certain that your paperwork is in
order. And you should clear up any grey areas or misunderstandings first,
otherwise you may not be able to register the kittens, or worse yet, have
the breeder file a complaint about you and/or your kittens with the CFA.

I would think that you would want to contact the breeder that you bought
her from to arrange for breeding her; my breeder is a wellspring of advice.
Have you done that? That should be your first step.
--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara

email: ask-at-electric-hyphen-ink-dot-com