Cat Vomiting - please help

Old November 13th 04, 02:41 PM
Carol

Default Cat Vomiting - please help

I have a 13 1/2 year old male tabby. About four months ago he started
to vomit usually, but not always shortly after eating. Since I only
feed him once a day that meant he threw up all his food for the day.
Right after that he'd be begging for food. I took him to the vet who
examined him and said he appeared to be just fine. He suggested it
was probably a hair ball and told me to give him hair ball remedy
twice a day for a couple of weeks. I did but that didn't help too
much. I tried feeding him very small portions many times daily. I
even tried tossing the food on the rug to force him to eat slowly.
Nothing really helped. Eventually the vomiting stopped on it's own in
a few weeks.

After having no problems for about two months he's started again. He
threw up his dinner yesterday morning and this morning. I feed him at
8 pm at night but when he threw up it was clearly his entire meal.
Since he sleeps right after eating for the rest of the night I'm not
sure if having the whole meal still in his stomach is unusual or not.

This morning he not only threw up the meal but continued throwing up
for about 15 minutes. He threw up 18 times in all. He has NEVER done
that before. About 15 minutes later he was begging for food.

Here's my problem: my husband just had heart bypass surgery. I am
barely able to cope with what I need to do for him. I cannot take the
cat to the vet and start with tests, special treatments,etc. In fact
I can't take him at all. If he doesn't improve I may have to have him
put down since I cannot allow the cat to interfere with what I need to
do for my husband. There is nobody else that can help me with the cat
or my husband.

I love my cat and don't want to lose him. I was wondering if I should
change his food? I give him Science Diet Feline Light Maintenance
(1/2 cup daily). This has been his diet for the past 12 years and he
has thrived until now. Is canned food easier to digest? I just don't
know what to do.

Don't know if this is related but a few days before this all started
four months ago he ate a mouse. He caught it in the kitchen, ate it
and threw it up, along with his food all over the house. It looked
like a mini autopsy on my living room floor. The vet didn't think it
was related.

He is an indoor cat and has no contact whatsoever with other animals.

Old November 13th 04, 03:35 PM
---MIKE---

Is it possible that he is swallowing the dry food without chewing it -
maybe a tooth problem? Why not try a good quality canned food (not
supermarket types) and see if that helps.

---MIKE---

Old November 13th 04, 05:12 PM
Mary

"Carol" wrote in message
om...
I have a 13 1/2 year old male tabby. About four months ago he started
to vomit usually, but not always shortly after eating. Since I only
feed him once a day that meant he threw up all his food for the day.

Why do you only feed him once a day? By the time he eats he's
probably starving.

Right after that he'd be begging for food. I took him to the vet who
examined him and said he appeared to be just fine. He suggested it
was probably a hair ball and told me to give him hair ball remedy
twice a day for a couple of weeks. I did but that didn't help too
much. I tried feeding him very small portions many times daily. I
even tried tossing the food on the rug to force him to eat slowly.
Nothing really helped. Eventually the vomiting stopped on it's own in
a few weeks.

So you're also feeding him dry food. This stuff expands in the stomach,
particularly when a cat has not eaten in 24 hours, I bet. No wonder
he vomits.

You know he needs to see the vet again. He also needs to be put
on good canned food and fed twice a day, about 12 hours apart.
Good luck.

Old November 13th 04, 05:15 PM
Mary

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Is it possible that he is swallowing the dry food without chewing it -

They don't chew dry food.

Old November 13th 04, 05:41 PM
Sherry

So you're also feeding him dry food. This stuff expands in the stomach,
particularly when a cat has not eaten in 24 hours, I bet. No wonder
he vomits.

If anybody doubts this, just try wetting a few kibbles of dry food and watch
them puff up twice their original volume, but maintain their shape. It's
creepy.

Old November 13th 04, 06:29 PM
Mary

"Sherry " wrote in message
So you're also feeding him dry food. This stuff expands in the stomach,
particularly when a cat has not eaten in 24 hours, I bet. No wonder
he vomits.

If anybody doubts this, just try wetting a few kibbles of dry food and

watch
them puff up twice their original volume, but maintain their shape. It's
creepy.

I know it from scraping it up off the floor ten minutes after
Cheeks eats it. The pieces are noticably bigger than when they went in.
She LOVES Purina One Tuna and Salmon, (my cats are junk food
junkies, sigh) and she is so skinny I can't say no so she gets it.

Old November 13th 04, 06:32 PM
Gail

Yes, switch to high quality canned food and feed him small amounts as
frequently as possible.
Gail
"Mary" wrote in message

om...

Old November 13th 04, 06:38 PM
Sherry

I know it from scraping it up off the floor ten minutes after
Cheeks eats it. The pieces are noticably bigger than when they went in.
She LOVES Purina One Tuna and Salmon, (my cats are junk food
junkies, sigh) and she is so skinny I can't say no so she gets it.

That's the *only* food Bootsie will eat with any regularity. She won't even eat
Fancy Feast. The only canned food she will touch is Nutro "Hunter's Stew".
Sigh. I open cans and she sniffs and *runs*. Then Biskit comes along and
finishes it up. So Bootsie is still tiny and Biskit is getting fat.

Sherry
Old November 13th 04, 07:13 PM
---MIKE---

Mary, they may not "chew" dry food but they sure do break it up. I can
hear Amber doing this.

---MIKE---

Old November 13th 04, 07:24 PM
Mary

"Sherry " wrote in message
I know it from scraping it up off the floor ten minutes after
Cheeks eats it. The pieces are noticably bigger than when they went in.
She LOVES Purina One Tuna and Salmon, (my cats are junk food
junkies, sigh) and she is so skinny I can't say no so she gets it.

That's the *only* food Bootsie will eat with any regularity. She won't

even eat
Fancy Feast. The only canned food she will touch is Nutro "Hunter's Stew".
Sigh. I open cans and she sniffs and *runs*. Then Biskit comes along and
finishes it up. So Bootsie is still tiny and Biskit is getting fat.

Hmm, seems there may be the secret "Kitty Crack" ingredient
in this Purina food, just as there is in FF Chopped Grill. Your Biskit
is like my Buddha. She wolfs all of her canned food then sneaks
upstairs (low to the ground and furtive, like very fat tuxedo land
sub) to find Cheeky's if I don't pick it right up. Sherry, Boo is
HUGE since the hypothryoid correction. I play with her as much as I
can, but nothing seems to help.

BTW, I tried Nutro's Hunter's Stew on my cats, and they liked it better
than the other Nutro brands but I had to mash up the chunks with a fork.
*rolling eyes*