Plump Kitten

Old April 14th 05, 01:53 AM
The Four Beagles

Default Plump Kitten

I've just adopted a kitten from the Humane Society. She's bright eyed,
active and in good health. However, from spending time in a cage without
much to do, she's kind of fat. I can feel the fat in the lower abdomen.
She's 9 months old. Should she be eating kitten food or should I have her on
weight-management food? Just want to do the right thing to slim her down in
a healthy way.

Old April 14th 05, 02:36 AM
Elle

I have been reading that the proportion of kittens and puppies, particularly
from shelters, that have worms is very high--like over 50%. Any chance your
kitten could have worms.

My reading suggests deworming is in order for all new kittens. It is not
expensive.

"The Four Beagles" wrote

Old April 14th 05, 02:42 AM
Elle

Oops. Forgot to mention that a pot-belly is symptomatic of worms, but
otherwise a kitten/cat may show no adverse effects. It's just kinda yucky to
humans, depending on the worm type.

Old April 14th 05, 02:48 AM
Judy

"The Four Beagles" wrote in message
I've just adopted a kitten from the Humane Society. She's bright eyed,
active and in good health. However, from spending time in a cage without
much to do, she's kind of fat. I can feel the fat in the lower abdomen.
She's 9 months old. Should she be eating kitten food or should I have her
on weight-management food? Just want to do the right thing to slim her
down in a healthy way.

How much does she weigh and how much physical activity does she get?

Old April 14th 05, 03:10 AM
Justin L

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:53:50 GMT, "The Four Beagles"
wrote:

I've just adopted a kitten from the Humane Society. She's bright eyed,
active and in good health. However, from spending time in a cage without
much to do, she's kind of fat. I can feel the fat in the lower abdomen.
She's 9 months old. Should she be eating kitten food or should I have her on
weight-management food? Just want to do the right thing to slim her down in
a healthy way.

I would say keep her on the kitten food until 1 year old.

Are you feeding dry or canned food? My kitten would get bloated from
dry food and throw up sometimes.

Has she seen a vet recently? It would be a good idea to have her
checked out for parasite, etc.

She may just need some exercise to get rid of her gut!

Congratulations and good luck!

Justin

Old April 14th 05, 03:11 AM
The Four Beagles

She weighs about 9.5 pounds. She was in a cage at the Humane Society so
there wasn't much to do but eat and sleep. She'll get more exercise here.
She's already jumping up on the cat tree and exploring all over. Plus, she
has my other cat to keep her hopping.

Old April 15th 05, 02:54 AM
poster

I would say, #1, take her to the vet and get a fecal done. Then they
can tell you if they have a mirage of things (including worms and other
treatable conditions). My 5 month old shelter kittens had tapeworm,
roundworm, and coxcida. Then, one of them had anal prolapse from the
roundworm. Anyhoo...keep close check on them now by getting the fecal
and giving them a great healthy life.

Food - my kittens only eat dry food. We alternate between kitten Iams
(expensive but good) and cheaper kitty food. They don't seem to care
which brand. (thank goodness!!)