Tiger knows it's chicken night

Old August 16th 11, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Tiger knows it's chicken night

I shop one day a week (stores are 20 miles away). I usually buy a fried
chicken breast. Tiger knows that when I have been shopping, he will be
getting some chicken breast when I eat supper. He won't touch his
regular dish until after he gets his chicken. Amber is not interested.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old August 16th 11, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/16/2011 1:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I shop one day a week (stores are 20 miles away). I usually buy a fried
chicken breast. Tiger knows that when I have been shopping, he will be
getting some chicken breast when I eat supper. He won't touch his
regular dish until after he gets his chicken. Amber is not interested.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I always find it strange how some cats will eat (or at least taste and
try) human food, how some cats will eat only certain foods (like
Lesley's Sarsi who *LURVES* ham, and my (RB) Sammy who loved cantaloupe
of all things!), and how some cats will not eat any human food at all
(Like my Jessie).

Archer will try anything mommy gives him - at least enough to lick and
give a chew or two. He'll eat most meats and bits of cheese, but not a
lot, but his litter-mate, Ozzy, will not eat *ANY* human food
(perversely, he will sit and stare at you while you eat, even extending
a paw in supplication, but refuses to even try anything you feel bad and
give him.

Synopsis... cats are weird!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 16th 11, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 8/16/2011 1:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

Yes, they're very different in that respect. I've had cats who were crazy
for human food, including one that liked nothing better than to chew on a
corn cob, even after you'd eaten the corn off of it. I've also had cats who
wouldn't go near human food. One would beg for bits of raw hamburger when I
was cooking it. Another wanted bites of chicken when I was fixing that.

Until recently, my current two showed no interest in human food. Pickles
couldn't even be bothered with canned cat food. However, she has discovered
that she loves tuna. If I give Waffles canned tuna catfood, she has to have
some. Otherwise she'll shoulder him away from the dish so she can eat it.
And if I drain a can of tuna to mix up for sandwiches, she has to have some
of the juice. I think she'd take it all, immediately, if I'd give it to
her, but I give them each a little when I open the can (Waffles likes it,
but not as much as Pickles does) and put the rest in a little jar in the
fridge. Then when I give Waffles his canned food, I pour a little of the
juice over it for him, and put some in a dish for Pickles. That way they
can enjoy it for a few days.

Lately, Pickles has also shown great interest when I have turkey.

Joy

Old August 16th 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/16/2011 4:10 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
On 8/16/2011 1:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

The water from a can of tuna is a *great* way to get cats to drink when
they're having kidney problems and refuse to drink water. Lots of times
this will save you from having to syringe it down them, but you have to
be careful of the sodium in it too, so it's best to ask your vet first.

Old August 16th 11, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 8/16/2011 4:10 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
On 8/16/2011 1:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

There may be some sodium in it, but getting a couple of teaspoonfuls a day
for a few days every now and then shouldn't do too much damage.

Joy

Old August 16th 11, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/16/2011 4:30 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
On 8/16/2011 4:10 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
On 8/16/2011 1:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

Oh no, I wasn't talking about that - I meant when your cat is having
kidney problems and you can't get them to drink enough water. In that
case, when it's maybe the *only* thing you can get down them and you
want to get a good bit of fluids down them *then* you need to be
concerned. I've always given my cats, the ones who like it, tuna water
as a treat.

Old August 17th 11, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 8/16/2011 1:34 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

Persia looks on hopefully but she doesn't get "people food". She has tried
but I don't think it's good for her. I didn't feed my dog Sampson (RB)
people food, either (although my mother used to prepare scrambled eggs for
Sampson. That's a long story.) My one big vice is potato chips. If Persia
hears me opening a bag of chips [crisps, for those on the other side of the
pond] it doesn't matter if she's sound asleep in another room, she hears it.
She comes running. No, Persia, you can't have any. She looks at me with
those gorgeous green eyes. Please, please, please? Okay, one tiny little
chip. Crunch crunch crunch. Then she's like the boy in Oliver Twist -
"Please sir, could I have some more?" LOL Nope, sorry. That's also my cue
to put the bag away.

Jill

Old August 17th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 16, 1:34*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I shop one day a week (stores are 20 miles away). *I usually buy a fried
chicken breast. *Tiger knows that when I have been shopping, he will be
getting some chicken breast when I eat supper. *He won't touch his
regular dish until after he gets his chicken. *Amber is not interested.

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

He sounds like my Frank, who loves chicken in any form. He has turned
into
a terrible table-beggar. DH says, "And whose fault do you think that
is?" I only
give him tiny bits of meat or fish but he stares at me with those
mournful blue
eyes the whole time I'm eating.

Sherry