This is Disturbing (OT)

Old October 10th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default This is Disturbing (OT)

Prisoners in the Philippines:

I suppose it's a good idea they are getting their exercise. Dance in
formation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o

Oh dear. YouTube has cleverly hidden the actual 1982 video but if you look
hard you can find it

Jill

Old October 10th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Oct 10, 8:58 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Prisoners in the Philippines:

I suppose it's a good idea they are getting their exercise. Dance in
formation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o

Oh dear. YouTube has cleverly hidden the actual 1982 video but if you look
hard you can find it

Jill

This is the same video we all discussed back a few months ago, right?
I'm looking
to see if it's a different one? (thought maybe they'd made a sequel)

Sherry

Old October 10th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Sherry wrote:
On Oct 10, 8:58 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Prisoners in the Philippines:

I suppose it's a good idea they are getting their exercise. Dance in
formation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o

Oh dear. YouTube has cleverly hidden the actual 1982 video but if
you look hard you can find it

Jill

This is the same video we all discussed back a few months ago, right?
I'm looking
to see if it's a different one? (thought maybe they'd made a sequel)

Sherry

Sorry if I posted it before. Every once in a while I go looking for old
music videos. Probably already posted this. Samhain is coming up and I was
looking for spooky stuff

Jill

Old October 10th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Matthew wrote:
I did not know your were Celtic Jill

LOL With a name like McQuown you have to ask? I think "Pagan" is the word
you're looking for.

I decorate for Samhain. I'll be going to the farmers market for gourds,
squashes and cornstalks later today. My decorations are often mistaken for
Halloween; the dates coincide. All Hallow's Eve/All Saints Day. It's a
late harvest celebration.

I also celebrate and decorate for the Winter Solstice which sort of
coincides with Christmas. Those decorations include grapevine wreaths,
holly and winter berries (the birds love it!)

The Vernal Equinox coincides with Spring (Easter). Ever wonder where the
Christians got all these holidays? They merely incorporated existing Pagan
holidays into their own dogma.

There is the Summer Solstice which takes place in late June. There are
berries to be had then... blueberries, blackberries, raspberries,
ligonberries. Think pancakes and jam or syrup!

The Autumnal Equinox just passed (9/21). It is almost (but not quite) at
Canadian Thanksgiving. Still, it's a fall celebration. Turkey not
required. LOL

Jill

Old October 10th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Someone did, I don't remember who it was though. I remember hearing
later
that it wasn't exactly fun for the prisoners, that they were forced to
dance
to exhaustion, etc. etc. (don't know how true that is).
I do remember what freaked me out most was thinking
"Oh man, how did they get a *woman* in there?" Then looked closer,
gah.
I heard they have a new routine, but haven't seen it yet.

Sherry

On Oct 10, 10:26 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Sherry wrote:
On Oct 10, 8:58 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Prisoners in the Philippines:

I suppose it's a good idea they are getting their exercise. Dance in
formation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o

Oh dear. YouTube has cleverly hidden the actual 1982 video but if
you look hard you can find it

Jill

This is the same video we all discussed back a few months ago, right?
I'm looking
to see if it's a different one? (thought maybe they'd made a sequel)

Sherry

Sorry if I posted it before. Every once in a while I go looking for old
music videos. Probably already posted this. Samhain is coming up and I was
looking for spooky stuff

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Old October 10th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Matthew wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
I did not know your were Celtic Jill

LOL With a name like McQuown you have to ask? I think "Pagan" is
the word
you're looking for.

Every Christian is Pagan LOL.

I defy you to stand in front of a Baptist church and say that!

I know all about the festivals I grew up on a farm. We did what
ever it took to make the fields grow. We always put out a jug of
cream for the Grogoch to make sure the planting went well. The great
grand parents made sure they made food offerings to the little people
to keep them helping instead of being bad.

When my great grand parents were still alive we were not allowed to
celebrate Halloween. I grew up in the country so there was still a
lot of superstition. With Irish and Scottish back grounds you can
imagine what we had to go through

Having to put a cup of water out with any ivy leaf in it, Having the
bonfire. Eating that good awful Colcannon; Cabbage, raw onions and
boiled potatoes all unseasoned for dinner.

Oh, then you didn't have good Colcannon! The Scottish version uses kale and
a swede (rutabega), potatoes, butter and salt & pepper. Cabbage is
sometimes substituted for the kale. Too bad yours was unseasoned! Butter,
salt & pepper is essential! Bubble & Squeak is a wonderful Scottish potato
& cabbage dish.

I always did enjoy
getting a silver piece in my potatoes. I do miss Barnbrack Cake. I
think I will have to make some.

Grandma Brown made delicious shortbread. Never, ever use margarine to make
shortbread. Butter, always butter.

The carving of the pumpkins to make jack o lanterns was fun the whole
family made one each and every one got involved.

The one Halloween I remember when I was about 6 or 7 we had a kin
folk pass away. Man did they all go nuts putting rock salt on the
windows edge , on every entrance. They did many ritual such as
putting stones in the fire one for each of us with our names on it.
They put some type of flower all around the house and barn's
entrances. I think it was night shade or something like that.

Night Shade is poisonous. Hope they knew the pets should be kept away from
it!

They sat in a circle with rock salt all around them all the children
and would not let us move from that circle till dawn we were not
allowed to sleep. We kept awake telling stories about the family.
Than at dawn we had a feast to celebrate the life of our deceased
kinfolk. They told me later on that they did not want the dead
spirit to come back and haunt them as a Púca or a banshee ( correct
word is Bean Sidhe) or the worse a Taisé.

Puca's are big rabbits. Remember the film with Jimmy Stewart, 'Harvey'?
Harvey was a Puca LOL

Jill

Old October 10th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
I did not know your were Celtic Jill

LOL With a name like McQuown you have to ask? I think "Pagan" is
the word
you're looking for.

Every Christian is Pagan LOL.

I defy you to stand in front of a Baptist church and say that!

If they celebrate Christmas in December, light a Yule log, decorate an
evergreen, and in particular bring the tree inside, they are indeed
celebrating as pagans.

I'll give them a pass on Easter, since it is also tied to the date of
Passover, but not really if they insist on the name "Easter" and color
eggs.

But really guys, you are starting to make me miss my Grandma Sindy, and I
never much liked her. She never much liked me either. But she did know and
practice all the old superstitions. Grandpa Sindy used to make treks up
into the mountains for days at a time. He knew where all the healing plants
were and how to use them. Its a shame those things are lost. (Still wish I
could get some decent sassafras)

Jo

Old October 10th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy P.

Matthew, hon, just for those of us who aren't from the old country ( at
least not in the last 200 years), can you explain pieces of your recipe and
bring it into this century for us? Thanks...
Hugs and purrs,
Kathy P.
"Matthew" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
I did not know your were Celtic Jill

LOL With a name like McQuown you have to ask? I think "Pagan" is
the word
you're looking for.

Every Christian is Pagan LOL.

I defy you to stand in front of a Baptist church and say that!

I tell every christian that when they start religious debates. The look
on their faces when you provide them facts that their religion is pagan
religion. They can agrue all they want when you put the information right
in their face

[...]

My great grandparents said it ruined the experience with the seasoning.
We always argued that you eat it than but back than you did as your elders
said. I still don't like cababge to this day

I always did enjoy
getting a silver piece in my potatoes. I do miss Barnbrack Cake. I
think I will have to make some.

Grandma Brown made delicious shortbread. Never, ever use margarine to
make
shortbread. Butter, always butter.

I love mountain cooking. I do many recipes from up there and people love
them. Specially my black skillet cornbread

BARNBRACK

8 ozs sultanas
4 ozs currants
2 ozs mixed peel
1 oz. fresh yeast
3 oz. caster sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. mixed spice
1 lb. strong white flour
1 beaten egg
10 fluid ozs tepid milk

Mix yeast with one teaspoon of sugar and milk, add the rest of the warm
milk, plus the egg. In another bowl, sieve flour, spice and salt together,
rub in butter and add the fruit. Stir the yeast mixture into this and mix
well. Turn this onto a floured surface and knead for ten minutes. Place in
a greased bowl, cover with an oiled plastic bag and leave for one hour in
a warm place. Divide the dough in half and knead for a few more minutes,
then place each in a loaf tin and return to the warm place for a further
hour. By this time the dough will be well risen. Bake for 35 minutes in an
oven pre-heated to 200º C. If you wish, a glaze can be applied to the warm
cake, by dissolving 2 tablespoons of sugar in 2 tablespoons of hot water.

I also like TEABACK
TEABRACK

8 ozs sultanas
8 oz. raisins
6 ozs brown sugar
2 tbsp. whiskey
10 fluid ozs strong black tea
2 beaten eggs
1 lb. self-raising flour
½ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. mixed spice
½ tsp. nutmeg

Soak the spices in the tea and whiskey overnight. Next day simply add the
remaining ingredients and mix well. Bake in a pre-heated oven, 160ºC for
1½ hours

The carving of the pumpkins to make jack o lanterns was fun the whole
family made one each and every one got involved.

The one Halloween I remember when I was about 6 or 7 we had a kin
folk pass away. Man did they all go nuts putting rock salt on the
windows edge , on every entrance. They did many ritual such as
putting stones in the fire one for each of us with our names on it.
They put some type of flower all around the house and barn's
entrances. I think it was night shade or something like that.

Night Shade is poisonous. Hope they knew the pets should be kept away
from
it!

Back than the only cats we had were barn cats. They never came into the
house or around the house. I did not have a cat myself till i was about
10

They sat in a circle with rock salt all around them all the children
and would not let us move from that circle till dawn we were not
allowed to sleep. We kept awake telling stories about the family.
Than at dawn we had a feast to celebrate the life of our deceased
kinfolk. They told me later on that they did not want the dead
spirit to come back and haunt them as a Púca or a banshee ( correct
word is Bean Sidhe) or the worse a Taisé.

Puca's are big rabbits. Remember the film with Jimmy Stewart, 'Harvey'?
Harvey was a Puca LOL

Jill

A Púca is a little more than that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%BAca
I remember that movie but Harvey was a pooka a different term or version
of a Púca http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooka

also one definition is The Púca, pronounced "Pookah" is the Irish word for
hobgoblin. One of the most feared spirits, according to legend, it can
take on a variety of shapes and sizes in order to wreak havoc and harm.
However, as the legend goes, it's now less dangerous thanks to the
legendary King, Brian Boru, who is said to have tamed it and ridden it
like a horse. In fact, (if one can use that word in the same sentence as
talking about the supernatural), it's said that the Púca often takes on
the form of a horse or calf, rushes between a victim's legs, and hoists
them away for a mad dash across the countryside.
Besides horses and cows, the Púca can also take on the shape of a bird or
bat and has been known to scratch the face of its quarry. Usually, this
ominous spirit lies in wait at suitably eerie places such as a crossroads,
fence or bridge

Old October 11th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

jmcquown wrote:
Prisoners in the Philippines:

I suppose it's a good idea they are getting their exercise. Dance in
formation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o

Oh dear. YouTube has cleverly hidden the actual 1982 video but if
you look hard you can find it

Jill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9qpyAlH8m0

They think they stopped it... sorry, they didn't (for now)

Jill

Old October 11th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Changed to Recipes

Lentil Soup

2 c. lentils
8 c. water
3 slices bacon, diced
1 med. onion, chopped
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. chopped carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
2- 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano, crushed

Brown the bacon and place in a deep soup pot. Saute the onion, celery,
carrots and garlic in the bacon drippings. Add to the pot. Rinse lentils;
drain. Place in large soup kettle with the water and seasonings. Cover and
simmer about 2-1/2 to 3 hours. 6-8 servings.

Matthew wrote:
What part? Which recipe?
What can I explain for everyone? I will be very happy to do that.

PS I am not from the old country just from the Kentucky hills hence
me be a hillbilly. ;-)

. ..
"Matthew" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message