Yoda. This is Disturbing.

Old November 22nd 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Yoda. This is Disturbing.

For the past week or so, Yoda is apparently sleeping like the dead.
Literally. I call his name, no
response. I shake him, no response. I shake him HARD, and he raises
his dead, blinks, and looks
at me like "What do you want?"

A couple of times it scared me -- I did think he was dead. I can
believe he's going deaf with age, but
that doesn't explain why it takes such a hard shaking to wake him up.
He doesn't have any current health
problems that we know about, but he is very old. I hate to take him to
the vet and say "He's too hard
to wake up." That's not really a symptom of anything, is it? I suppose
I could just take him anyway
for the senior blood panel, it is about time to do that again.
Or I could just leave him alone and let him sleep, which he'd probably
appreciate more. :-)

Sherry
Old November 22nd 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Sherry wrote:
For the past week or so, Yoda is apparently sleeping like the dead.
Literally. I call his name, no
response. I shake him, no response. I shake him HARD, and he raises
his dead, blinks, and looks
at me like "What do you want?"

A couple of times it scared me -- I did think he was dead. I can
believe he's going deaf with age, but
that doesn't explain why it takes such a hard shaking to wake him up.
He doesn't have any current health
problems that we know about, but he is very old. I hate to take him to
the vet and say "He's too hard
to wake up." That's not really a symptom of anything, is it? I suppose
I could just take him anyway
for the senior blood panel, it is about time to do that again.
Or I could just leave him alone and let him sleep, which he'd probably
appreciate more. :-)

A hard decision. If it were me, I'd probably take him in for the blood
panel, but I see why you might rather just let him have his sleep. Poor
old man. Purrs that it's just his age that makes him sleep so deeply.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old November 22nd 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Sherry" wrote in message
For the past week or so, Yoda is apparently sleeping like the dead.
Literally. I call his name, no
response. I shake him, no response. I shake him HARD, and he raises
his dead, blinks, and looks
at me like "What do you want?"

A couple of times it scared me -- I did think he was dead. I can
believe he's going deaf with age, but
that doesn't explain why it takes such a hard shaking to wake him up.
He doesn't have any current health
problems that we know about, but he is very old. I hate to take him to
the vet and say "He's too hard
to wake up." That's not really a symptom of anything, is it? I suppose
I could just take him anyway
for the senior blood panel, it is about time to do that again.
Or I could just leave him alone and let him sleep, which he'd probably
appreciate more. :-)

Sherry

Amber did that when she was elderly. Like you, I was really scared several
times. I think it would be a good idea to get the senior blood panel, but I
suspect it is just a situation where an aging cat needs more sleep, and they
may also sleep more deeply. Think of how older people sometimes just drop
off to sleep while sitting in a chair, and this may be similar.

MaryL

Old November 22nd 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
For the past week or so, Yoda is apparently sleeping like the dead.
Literally. I call his name, no
response. I shake him, no response. I shake him HARD, and he raises
his dead, blinks, and looks
at me like "What do you want?"

A couple of times it scared me -- I did think he was dead. I can
believe he's going deaf with age, but
that doesn't explain why it takes such a hard shaking to wake him up.
He doesn't have any current health
problems that we know about, but he is very old. I hate to take him to
the vet and say "He's too hard
to wake up." That's not really a symptom of anything, is it? I suppose
I could just take him anyway
for the senior blood panel, it is about time to do that again.
Or I could just leave him alone and let him sleep, which he'd probably
appreciate more. :-)

Sherry

It could be something as simple as the cold weather making him sleep more
and sleep sounder. I usually have to take two sleeping pills just to get 6
hours of sleep, but in this weather it's *really* hard for me to get out of
bed in the mornings. Today, a Saturday, I slept until *9AM*!!! I usually
wake up at 4AM or 5AM even when the alarm doesn't go off.

Anyway, mega purrs coming that it's only the weather causing this - please
let us know what the vet says if you do take him.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 22nd 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Sherry wrote:
For the past week or so, Yoda is apparently sleeping like the dead.
Literally. I call his name, no
response. I shake him, no response. I shake him HARD, and he raises
his dead, blinks, and looks
at me like "What do you want?"

A couple of times it scared me -- I did think he was dead. I can
believe he's going deaf with age, but
that doesn't explain why it takes such a hard shaking to wake him up.
He doesn't have any current health
problems that we know about, but he is very old. I hate to take him to
the vet and say "He's too hard
to wake up." That's not really a symptom of anything, is it? I suppose
I could just take him anyway
for the senior blood panel, it is about time to do that again.
Or I could just leave him alone and let him sleep, which he'd probably
appreciate more. :-)

Sherry

If he doesn't seem ill, and isn't sleeping in hard to locate
hiding-places, I'd be inclined to let him sleep. (Remember, a healthy
YOUNG cat sleeps between eighteen and twenty hours a day - if elderly
cats are are anything like elderly people, their nap-times are likely to
increase in length.)
Old November 22nd 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_4_]

"MaryL" ...

"Sherry"
[...]

I agree about having a senior blood panel done, but an sging kitty can sleep
more and fall into a deeper sleep as well. Purrs for Yoda to be okay, and
try not to worry.
I fall asleep in my chair all the time...LOL, and I'm not 'that' old..unless
you consider 63 to be 'old'.
Kyla

Old November 22nd 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

"Sherry" wrote in message
For the past week or so, Yoda is apparently sleeping like the dead.
Literally. I call his name, no
response. I shake him, no response. I shake him HARD, and he raises
his dead, blinks, and looks
at me like "What do you want?"

A couple of times it scared me -- I did think he was dead. I can
believe he's going deaf with age, but
that doesn't explain why it takes such a hard shaking to wake him up.
He doesn't have any current health
problems that we know about, but he is very old. I hate to take him to
the vet and say "He's too hard
to wake up." That's not really a symptom of anything, is it? I suppose
I could just take him anyway
for the senior blood panel, it is about time to do that again.
Or I could just leave him alone and let him sleep, which he'd probably
appreciate more. :-)

They really can sleep soundly sometimes! Purrs for the old guy. I know how
much you love him.

Cheryl

Old November 22nd 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:14:53 -0800 (PST), Sherry
wrote:

For the past week or so, Yoda is apparently sleeping like the dead.
Literally. I call his name, no
response. I shake him, no response. I shake him HARD, and he raises
his dead, blinks, and looks
at me like "What do you want?"

A couple of times it scared me -- I did think he was dead. I can
believe he's going deaf with age, but
that doesn't explain why it takes such a hard shaking to wake him up.
He doesn't have any current health
problems that we know about, but he is very old. I hate to take him to
the vet and say "He's too hard
to wake up." That's not really a symptom of anything, is it? I suppose
I could just take him anyway
for the senior blood panel, it is about time to do that again.
Or I could just leave him alone and let him sleep, which he'd probably
appreciate more. :-)

Sherry

Purrs coming that all it is is the change in the weather making him
want to sleep in. Since it's almost time for his blood panel, anyway,
getting it done for your peace of mind makes since.
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby
Old November 22nd 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

wrote:

For the past week or so, Yoda is apparently sleeping like the dead.
Literally. I call his name, no
response. I shake him, no response. I shake him HARD, and he raises
his dead, blinks, and looks
at me like "What do you want?"

A couple of times it scared me -- I did think he was dead. I can
believe he's going deaf with age, but
that doesn't explain why it takes such a hard shaking to wake him up.
He doesn't have any current health
problems that we know about, but he is very old. I hate to take him to
the vet and say "He's too hard
to wake up." That's not really a symptom of anything, is it? I suppose
I could just take him anyway
for the senior blood panel, it is about time to do that again.
Or I could just leave him alone and let him sleep, which he'd probably
appreciate more. :-)

Sherry

That would scare me to death!

I remember many, many years ago Lucky(RB) had fallen asleep in her
favorite spot: on my chest, with one paw on each side of my neck.

I was watching TV, sitting in my recliner, and I finally had to answer a
call of nature.

I reached up and gave Lucky a scritch on her ear.

Nothing.

I gave her a scritch on her chin.

Nothing.

I scritched BOTH ears.

Nothing.

Growing concerned, I picked up her head, and gave it a gentle shake.

Nothing.

When I let go of her head, it just dropped lifelessly.

Then I got really scared, and sat up and picked her up and turned her
over.

Then, finally, Lucky mrrped at me!

For a short time, I thought she had just passed away, sleeping on me!

Scared me to bits! My heart was going at about 200bpm.

So, I know EXACTLY how you feel. But, it only happened to me that one
time.

I doubt that the vet can tell you anything about this.

Ted can probably determine if Yoda has significant hearing loss.

But you can do that by coming up behind him, when he is awake, and
calling his name, slowly increasing in volume, until he responds.

That's how I figured out that Blizzard(RB) had gone completely deaf,
without my realizing it, in the last 2 years of her life

Purrs are on the way for Yoda to stop scaring you like this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old November 23rd 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

A couple of times it scared me -- I did think he was dead. I can
believe he's going deaf with age, but
that doesn't explain why it takes such a hard shaking to wake him up.
He doesn't have any current health
problems that we know about, but he is very old. I hate to take him to
the vet and say "He's too hard
to wake up." That's not really a symptom of anything, is it? I suppose
I could just take him anyway
for the senior blood panel, it is about time to do that again.
Or I could just leave him alone and let him sleep, which he'd probably
appreciate more. :-)

The blood panel certainly isn't a bad idea.

For the record, Smudge once did a sleeping-cat-pretending-to-be-dead BCT
when she was about 6 *months* old. Scared the hell out of me, especially
since it happened in the middle of the night, when I woke up to discover
that she was completely underneath me. I thought I'd smothered her!

--
Joyce ^..^

SHerry for Yoda Karen Cat anecdotes 2 August 31st 07 07:24 PM
How is Yoda? MaryL Cat anecdotes 4 August 28th 07 03:04 AM
Purrs for Yoda Sherry Cat anecdotes 64 August 22nd 07 10:54 PM
Another birthday for Yoda [email protected] Cat anecdotes 14 August 31st 06 01:16 PM
Yo Yo Yoda Says Thanks Sherry Cat anecdotes 18 August 30th 04 10:22 PM