Back AGAIN

Old November 18th 03, 05:13 AM
badwilson

Default Back AGAIN

Sigh...this seems to be the story of my life!
We've been away travelling around Thailand with our friends Helen and Bruce
from Canada that were here visiting for 3 weeks. Just got back on Friday
night and I've been reading messages night and day trying to get caught up.
I feel terrible for missing Yowies wedding and want to send my
congratulations. I have already looked at all the pictures and they are
wonderful.
Sooooo, about our trip. Well, the trip with Helen and Bruce was good,
although slightly frustrating. It seems that those 2 had a cloud of bad
luck following them around the whole time. Bruce got a head cold soon after
arriving and he also has IBS, which isn't so good to have in a country with
mainly squat toilets! On top of that, they both got the typical "Thai
Tummy" that everyone gets when they come here.
Then in Krabi, Bruce stepped on a sea urchin while snorkelling and had so
soak his foot in urine. Then in Phuket on the second to last day, Bruce
complained of having tingly legs and no strength, but wouldn't go see the
doctor. Now that they are back home, Helen wrote and said that they took
Bruce to the hospital and it turns out he's got some incurable disease
(forgot the name) in which the immune system attacks the nervous system and
he had to have a spinal tap and will be in the hospital for 2 weeks :-(
Wow.
So needless to say, they really didn't feel like doing too much on their
trip and kept wanting to stay in the hotel room watching TV. Too bad to
come all the way here to do that, but of course they weren't planning to
have such bad luck.
We did take them to Chiang Mai and showed them around. They got some good
shopping done. We rented a car and drove to Pai, a small hippy town that
Dennis and I have decided we absolutely must return to do some whitewater
rafting and trekking. Next year this time, we think.
After Chiang Mai, we took the train to Bangkok and stayed there for 2
nights, did more shopping and looking at temples. After that, we flew down
to Krabi where we stayed 4 nights. We did one day trip tour to 5 islands
with beautiful beaches and snorkelling. That's when Bruce stepped on the
sea urchin. The snorkelling was great and there was one beach where you
could throw in some bread and hundreds of yellow and black tropical fish
would come up and eat the bread right next to you standing in the water.
That was really cool. On another day, we went kayaking in the mangroves and
saw a ton of monkeys that were really tame and came on our kayaks with us.
At lunch we stopped at this beach and ate and there were 4 monitor lizards
(1.5 meters long) skulking around. Fairly creepy but cool. Dennis kept
throwing them chicken bones, which they ate. I decided not to get any
closer than about 3 meters!
After Krabi, we went to Koh Phi Phi for 2 nights. That was nice, Dennis and
I had never been there before. The island is very small and has no roads,
only walkways. We went scuba diving for a day while Helen and Bruce hung
out in the hotel. The dive was great, saw tons of tropical fish, corals,
leopard sharks, lion fish, sea snakes and moray eels. After that we went to
Phuket where we stayed at a fancy resort for H&B's last few days here. That
really sucked. I guess Dennis and I are just not the fancy resort type
people because we really resented being stuck on the resort and being
charged exorbitant prices to get away by cab or having to eat at the
overpriced restaurants. Also, the only people who stay at resorts seem to
be old rich people. We much prefer doing the backpacker thing where you
actually meet some interesting people who have been places and done cool
stuff. Anyway, by this time Bruce was feeling pretty ****ty because of that
disease he has, so we didn't do too much. I feel really bad for them, I do
hope everything turns out ok.
So now we are back home with our little buddy Vino (who we missed terribly!)
and 5 lbs fatter, so back on track with the healthy eating and workouts!
Unfortunately Dennis has to go back to work in Burma on the 27th already, hi
s time off went by way too fast! He will be away over xmas and new years
and should be back mid-January. In Feb, we are planning to go to Vietnam
for 2.5 weeks. This travelling thing is just not working out very well for
Dennis because of how much he misses Vino. He is away from him for 6 weeks
while working in Burma, and then on his time of we want to go somewhere and
he has to be away from Vino again! I really hope he can get a position in
Thailand again, but who knows when that may be. The company is doing a lot
of shuffling around, but Dennis gets no sympathy from anyone because he's
had it pretty good up until recently.
So, that's my explanation for my most recent absence. I have read every
message and want to send out purrs and headbutts to everyone who needs them.
--
Britta
ROT13 to reply

Old November 18th 03, 07:57 AM
Steve Touchstone

Welcome back. sounds like you've been having a good time, but it
really sucks about your friend's illness. Please pass along good
thoughts, prayers and purrs.

[remove Junk for email]
Old November 18th 03, 05:51 PM
lewe

"badwilson" wrote in message
[...]

good to see you again, where are the pics? we do expect pics from your
trips, you know!
I am sure Vino is happy you are back! (don't think I saw any new pics of him
for a while either??)
Purrs for your friend and for Dennis being able to be around Vino - and
you! - more!
--
:: lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se || cat pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old November 18th 03, 11:32 PM
polonca12000

We've missed you, Britta! So glad you're back.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"badwilson" wrote in message
Sigh...this seems to be the story of my life!
We've been away travelling around Thailand with our friends Helen and

Bruce
from Canada that were here visiting for 3 weeks. snip

Old November 19th 03, 05:11 AM
Marina

"badwilson" wrote
We've been away travelling around Thailand with our friends Helen and

Bruce
from Canada that were here visiting for 3 weeks.

Nice to see you back. Too bad about your friends' bad luck. We're purring
for Dennis to be able to spend more time with his buddy Vino.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki