Mom [OT]

Old March 27th 04, 10:54 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

My bestest friend's little boys are Geordies born and bred (she's
Kentish through and through), and they call her "mam".

Me Mam??

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old March 27th 04, 10:56 PM

jmcquown wrote:

I do appreciate it, however, when I have my hands full and am trying
to exit a store with several bags and a big jug of Tidy Cats kitty
litter. "Go ahead, ma'am" Thank you! LOL

I read this and thought, "Oh how nice, another cat person!" Forgot where
I was for a minute.

Joyce
Old March 27th 04, 11:01 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:02:23 -0500, Takayuki
yodeled:

wrote:

Why would kids from Glasgow want to imitate Londoners with Cockney
accents? Is it some kind of working-class chic or something? Like over
here, when white suburban kids start talking hip-hop lingo to imitate
black kids in the cities?

A friend of mine (who's black) once told me that I wasn't "black
enough", and tried to teach me how to walk more black, talk more
black, and even romance women more black. He eventually gave up and
told me that I would be the worst excuse for a black person he's ever
seen.

I'm white (egregiously so ) and a black friend instructed me on what
he called the essential expression for black women-- to say very
strongly and emphatically, "OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!" I'm actually
getting pretty good at it.

I also used to occasionally tweak a colleague of mine at work by
casually slipping in black slang into my everyday conversations, but
in egregiously incorrect ways. For example, I would talk to some of
the personnel about how I was "kicking it" to him about some new ideas
for calibration procedures. The other employees (who were white),
would just gloss over the phrase, but he would growl, "You weren't
KICKING IT TO ME!"

hee hee. You should have brung him a beatdown.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 27th 04, 11:04 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 14:03:10 -0800, Seanette Blaylock
yodeled:

Steve Touchstone had some very interesting
things to say about Mom [OT]:

Course, as we've already heard in this thread, a lot of times the
accent doesn't mean much as you get farther away from "home". Lots of
us 'Merikans can't distinguish accents within GB, heck some can't tell
the difference between someone from NZ, Australia or GB. Don't feel
too bad, some New Yorkers can pinpoint what neighborhood another New
Yorker is from by their accent, while most West Coasters are clueless.

As I discovered fast in tech support, the stereotypical New York
accent is limited to the city.

No, this isn't exactly true. It is limited to the geographical area
that clusters around New York Harbor-- so it encompasses the five
boroughs of New York City, plus the surrounding suburbs-- which extend
East to Long Island, west and south to New Jersey, and north to
Westchester County and southern Connecticut. But upstate New York,
that's true, they talk nothing like us.

Old March 27th 04, 11:07 PM
Kreisleriana

On 27 Mar 2004 22:54:56 GMT, omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) yodeled:

My bestest friend's little boys are Geordies born and bred (she's
Kentish through and through), and they call her "mam".

Me Mam??

Cheers, helen s

Now you might make David Stevenson's head explode.

Theresa
alt.tv.frasier FAQ:
http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/

Old March 27th 04, 11:21 PM
Yowie

wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

I couldn't call my mother anything other than "Mum" despite the
fact I know her full name, and she calls me "Victoria". Everyone
else calls me Vicky.

Except for your online friends, of course...

True... Even Joel knows who the phone call is for is someone is asking for
'Yowie'. LOL!

And my poor son will be known as The Yowlet' to the day he dies as well.
s******

Yowie

Old March 27th 04, 11:32 PM
Jo Firey

David, Quite a thread you started.

And I'm guessing that part of what you find so annoying isn't just the word
Mom (or even worse Moms) used in referring to the maternal parent. Its the
annoying little brats in American TV. Trust me, many of us consider them
annoying little brats here in the US as well.

Somewhere along the line the idea got out that TV wanted to get attention,
and annoyed was nearly as good as pleased. Add in the notion that anyone
over 40 already has everything they need, or else is unlikely to spend their
disposable income based on a TV commercial. So the target audience for
these shows is 15 to 22 or 18 to 28 or such. An age where marketers hope
the audience will find it "cool" to disrespect the elders, if not in word at
least in attitude and expression.

Jo
"David Stevenson" wrote in message

I find it most annoying when little brats in American TV series refer
to "My Mom" or say something sick-making like "I love my Mom".

What I am curious about is the word 'Mom'. Is that what children
actually say? for that matter do they say that yucky word in England
nowadays?

If anyone wonders what my problem is then I learnt 'Mum' and 'Mummy'
and never heard this word 'Mom' until a few years ago.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome

Old March 28th 04, 12:36 AM
Jette Goldie

wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

An' th' infamous glo--al stop (glottal stop).

LOL!

Some people use that here, too, eg, "I ain't gi'in (getting) any younger."

Scots are famous for it - only a fellow Scot can hear the
T and D when a Scot says "Sco'lan"

--
Jette
"Work for Peace and remain Fiercely Loving" - Jim Byrnes

http://www.jette.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Old March 28th 04, 12:36 AM
Jette Goldie

wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

Kids imitate anything they see on TV. They don't think too hard about
it-- they just think if it's on TV, it's cool.

Well, yeah. But I was just wondering what the appeal was about cockney-
speaking Londoners, to kids from Glasgow. There's probably a cultural
history there that I'm not aware of, being from over here.

It's not even that it's "cool" - it's just that the darn show
is on tv 5 days a week, and the kids just pick up the accent
unconsciously.

A few years ago it was "Neighbours" that was causing the
concern...... kids were turning Aussie!

Old March 28th 04, 12:37 AM
Mishi

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 14:03:10 -0800, Seanette Blaylock
yodeled:

But upstate New York, that's true, they talk nothing like us.

That is very true, we don't! G One time, I was at a party in Connecticut,
and one of the women there asked where I was from. I said, New York. She
said I couldn't be, because I didn't have the right accent. I told her I
wasn't from the city, but upstate NY. She looked very puzzled, and said
"Westchester?" (which is just north of NY City). No, I told her, north of
Albany. She looked at me again and said "Canada?" (shakes head. Sigh)