bald spot

Old September 5th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Laila

Default bald spot

Shaina keeps biting at her fur on her back, close to the tail and there
is a 5x8 cm bald spot there. we've been to the vet in NY and here in
Tucson and the consensus is that it's not an infection (they did tests)
and it's not an allergy (she got a cortisone shot). the vet here
specializes in felines. she said that Shaina must be stressed and/or
bored. i leave for work at 6:30 am and come back close to 7 pm. i am
the only one taking care of her now because my fiancé is in North
Carolina for his residency. i try to play with her as much as i can
when i am home, but i think she is so used to having 2 humans with her
that it's just not enough for her. i am afraid that by the time i move
to North Carolina, she will have broken all her fur. i was thinking of
getting her a friend, but i'd have to take the time to introduce them
and i'd have to spend time with the kitten. i can never catch her
doing that, but once i saw the fur ruffled and slightly wet at that
spot. i am not sure what to do.

Old September 5th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sosessyithurts

Default blood sport

Laila wrote:
Shaina keeps biting at her fur on her back, close to the tail and there
is a 5x8 cm bald spot there. i can never catch her
doing that, but once i saw the fur ruffled and slightly wet at that
spot. i am not sure what to do.

when i first read the thread, I thought it said blood sport
sorry

it's mites under the skin

she needs to take a pill that will kill the micro-bugs in her blood
stream

best to yas

Old September 5th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Laila

Default bald sport

sosessyithurts wrote:
Laila wrote:
Shaina keeps biting at her fur on her back, close to the tail and there
is a 5x8 cm bald spot there. i can never catch her
doing that, but once i saw the fur ruffled and slightly wet at that
spot. i am not sure what to do.

when i first read the thread, I thought it said blood sport
sorry

oh, god, i thought that i've misspelt it.

it's mites under the skin

she needs to take a pill that will kill the micro-bugs in her blood
stream

i'll ask the vet about it. the other vet gave me some anti-flea drops
to put on her skin right behind her head, where she can't reach it.

best to yas

Old September 5th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

sosessyithurts wrote:
Laila wrote:

Shaina keeps biting at her fur on her back, close to the tail and there
is a 5x8 cm bald spot there. i can never catch her
doing that, but once i saw the fur ruffled and slightly wet at that
spot. i am not sure what to do.

when i first read the thread, I thought it said blood sport
sorry

it's mites under the skin

she needs to take a pill that will kill the micro-bugs in her blood
stream

best to yas

Come on Barry, when did you get your vet degree and x-ray vision?

Laila, did the vet test for ringworm? That can cause bald spots.

Our cat had bald areas above his tail due to flea allergies. Even inside
cats can get fleas -- since fleas can hitch rides into the house.

Good luck finding out what's going on,

Rhonda

Old September 5th 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sosessyithurts

Rhonda wrote:

Come on Barry, when did you get your vet degree and x-ray vision?

i got my degree on here.

Now I think her cat needs a topical solution

I had it backwards... can't fleas put poison of some sort into the
blood stream?

Im confused

Old September 6th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

sosessyithurts wrote:
Rhonda wrote:

Come on Barry, when did you get your vet degree and x-ray vision?

i got my degree on here.

Now I think her cat needs a topical solution

I had it backwards... can't fleas put poison of some sort into the
blood stream?

Im confused

I don't know what kind of poison it would be -- maybe an infection. I
think cats that get flea allergies are allergic to flea spit.

Rhonda

Old September 7th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Laila

Rhonda wrote:
sosessyithurts wrote:
Rhonda wrote:

Come on Barry, when did you get your vet degree and x-ray vision?

i got my degree on here.

Now I think her cat needs a topical solution

I had it backwards... can't fleas put poison of some sort into the
blood stream?

Im confused

I don't know what kind of poison it would be -- maybe an infection. I
think cats that get flea allergies are allergic to flea spit.

it's not an allergy. she doesn't have fleas. that's already been
determined by the vet(s). she is bored because she is not getting
nearly as much attention and human interaction as she used to in the
past. i am not sure what to do at this point. i am trying to spend as
much time with her as possible and play with her. well, off to play
with her now.

Old September 7th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Laila wrote:

it's not an allergy. she doesn't have fleas. that's already been
determined by the vet(s). she is bored because she is not getting
nearly as much attention and human interaction as she used to in the
past. i am not sure what to do at this point. i am trying to spend as
much time with her as possible and play with her. well, off to play
with her now.

How about getting her another cat to play with?

Rhonda

Old September 7th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Laila wrote:

it's not an allergy. she doesn't have fleas. that's already been
determined by the vet(s). she is bored because she is not getting
nearly as much attention and human interaction as she used to in the
past. i am not sure what to do at this point. i am trying to spend as
much time with her as possible and play with her. well, off to play
with her now.

How about getting her another cat to play with?

Rhonda

My thoughts, too! I've found that two are frequently easier than one--they
don't get as bored. Careful introductions are vital but having more than
one cat can really enrich the cats lives as well as yours!

Bonnie

Old September 7th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Laila wrote:
Rhonda wrote:

it's not an allergy. she doesn't have fleas. that's already been
determined by the vet(s). she is bored because she is not getting
nearly as much attention and human interaction as she used to in the
past. i am not sure what to do at this point. i am trying to spend as
much time with her as possible and play with her. well, off to play
with her now.

Sounds like, since your vet has ruled out several things, that she is
just stressed and is overgrooming that one spot. One of my cats started
doing this after a stressful trip to the vet. You might try either a
Feliway diffuser or adding Rescue Remedy (a homeopathic blend of herbs
you can get from a health food store) to her water. Both of those
helped me (er, the cat!)

Long term, it sounds like a playmate would help her.

Rene