Bengals vaccine side effects

Old May 10th 05, 01:52 AM
Philip

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
On Mon, 09 May 2005 16:40:42 GMT, "Philip"
wrote:

(to the audience) Compared to some of you vaccination believers out
there, I have never been one to enrich veterinarians for
preventative measures. But I've also never had more than two cats
simultaneously and they have been mostly indoor animals.

(to Mandarina) The experience you relate sounds like deliberate over
dosing with a toxic substance. The vet is likely following some
protocol having nebulous benefits beyond enriching the vet. MY
feeling is no vaccination should produce those kinds of side/after
effects.

I recently adopted a cat and took him in for neutering and vaccination
without knowing these issues existed. He is going to be an indoor
cat, which suits him fine, and this will probably be the last time he
gets a vaccine, now that I have learned a thing or two. He has
developed oozing lesions between his shoulder blades but seems to be
in good general health. I have been waiting for him to recover on his
own, but perhaps I should do something. If so what?

I had no idea that pharmacology was so lax in this area. People pay
money for this service. Why aren't more of them screaming bloody
murder? I hope my cat will be ok. I swear I will drag out the hammer
and goddamn tongs if he's not.

Charlie

Don't buy the hype. Don't get guilt tripped with "If you love your cat,
you'll buy our $199 vaccination/booster package" crap. I don't buy the
philosophy of deworming a perfectly healthy kitten when the presence of
intestinal worms is contraindicated. Nor to I buy the notion that
sterilizing a cat before 6 months of age is without probable consequences,
more so for males. Remember, vets have staff, rent, homes to pay for, and
they KNOW they can play on your emotions. There are dollar signs all along
the way. Beware.

Old May 10th 05, 03:23 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Tue, 10 May 2005 00:52:32 GMT, "Philip"
wrote:

Don't buy the hype. Don't get guilt tripped with "If you love your cat,
you'll buy our $199 vaccination/booster package" crap. I don't buy the
philosophy of deworming a perfectly healthy kitten when the presence of
intestinal worms is contraindicated. Nor to I buy the notion that
sterilizing a cat before 6 months of age is without probable consequences,
more so for males. Remember, vets have staff, rent, homes to pay for, and
they KNOW they can play on your emotions. There are dollar signs all along
the way. Beware.

I didn't even think about it; I merely assumed that responsible pet
owners get their pets vaccinated, and that the vaccines are safe and
effective. They're effective, alright, just like cyanide is
effective. But they're not safe.

Here is my cat:

www.geocities.com/wallofgrays/lesion.htm

This picture was taken about 10 minutes ago. The damage caused by
this vaccination gets worse every day. After reading through this
thread and looking at a couple of links, I'm slightly annoyed. I'd
like to get ahold of the CEO of this company and pour a bottle of
drano down his miserable goddamn money-grubbing throat before I burn
his ****en house down with his family tied up inside.

Charlie
Old May 10th 05, 04:57 AM
Mary

wrote:

[...]

God, Charlie, I missed this thread until this post. I am so sorry. I will
read
back through and see what vaccination caused this.

Old May 10th 05, 05:24 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Tue, 10 May 2005 02:28:06 GMT, "Diane L. Schirf"
wrote:

In article ,
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

I didn't even think about it; I merely assumed that responsible pet
owners get their pets vaccinated, and that the vaccines are safe and
effective. They're effective, alright, just like cyanide is
effective. But they're not safe.

I remember a few kids in school (1960s) had reactions to vaccines,
although most of us didn't. I think the smallpox vaccine was the worst.
I wonder if that's true of cats -- that a few are sensitive, while most
are not.

I have the impression that harmful or fatal reactions to the leukemia
vaccine are very common.

Pudge had vaccinations against rabies, distemper, etc., with no
problems; same with Hodge. We (veterinarian and I) dropped the feline
leukemia vaccination when evidence turned up it caused problems, as they
were/are not outdoor cats and are unlikely to be exposed to an infected
cat.

I didn't have that discussion. I stupidly assumed veterinarians don't
use dangerous drugs routinely on healthy animals. I suppose in the
back of my mind I had the naive idea that the industry might be
regulated in some manner. I realize now that it's no different than
buying illegal drugs on the street -- caveat emptor, with the
difference being that dealers who cut their drugs with rat poison tend
to be rewarded with short lives instead of fat salaries.

Charlie
Old May 10th 05, 05:30 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Mon, 9 May 2005 23:57:50 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

It's not your fault. My reading on the web strongly suggests it was
the leukemia vaccine. Who ever heard of rabies or distemper shots
causing such a reaction? Apparently it is common with the leukemia
vaccine and quite often leads to a fatal sarcoma.

At least my cat is not half paralyzed like the bengal kittens.

Who is selling this poison???

Charlie
Old May 10th 05, 06:26 AM
Mary

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote:

My reading on the web strongly suggests it was
the leukemia vaccine. Who ever heard of rabies or distemper shots
causing such a reaction? Apparently it is common with the leukemia
vaccine and quite often leads to a fatal sarcoma.

I have never heard of this.

At least my cat is not half paralyzed like the bengal kittens.

Who is selling this poison???

I don't know, but it is unbelievable that this can happen. I hope
your kitty will be okay. Have you seen the vet?

Old May 10th 05, 06:40 AM
Philip

wrote:

[...]

Ah go on ... tell me what you REALLY think! ;^)

There is something DREADFULLY wrong (suggesting a moral/ethical lapse) with
the dosing determination, at the very least!!! :^(

NOW where are the "good" people in P.E.T.A ??? Hmmm?

Old May 10th 05, 06:41 AM
Philip

wrote:

[...]

I think I would be in that Vet's face for replacement kittens (Bengals ain't
cheap) if either of them dies or has to be put down. This is malpractice!

Old May 10th 05, 06:41 AM
Philip

Diane L. Schirf wrote:
In article ,
Charlie Wilkes wrote:

I didn't even think about it; I merely assumed that responsible pet
owners get their pets vaccinated, and that the vaccines are safe and
effective. They're effective, alright, just like cyanide is
effective. But they're not safe.

I remember a few kids in school (1960s) had reactions to vaccines,
although most of us didn't. I think the smallpox vaccine was the
worst. I wonder if that's true of cats -- that a few are sensitive,
while most are not.

Pudge had vaccinations against rabies, distemper, etc., with no
problems; same with Hodge. We (veterinarian and I) dropped the feline
leukemia vaccination when evidence turned up it caused problems, as
they were/are not outdoor cats and are unlikely to be exposed to an
infected cat.

Considering Bengals are often purchased from breeders, I'm starting to
seriously consider buying one ONLY IF the breeder agrees to NO vaccinations
or at least ONLY the one or two that have been proven safe over the past 20
yrs. Ours would be an indoor cat & only cat anyway. Furthermore, there is a
fair percentage of Bengals who do not have the genetics to get feline
leukemia anyway ,,, from what I've read.

Old May 10th 05, 06:59 AM
Phil P.

"Mandarina via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Two weeks ago I brought home our two new Bengal kittens - Jasper and

Beau -
they were 3 months old and when they left the breeder's home they were

both
healthy and playing happily. The kittens had just had their booster -

when
they had the first jab the breeder said they had 'stiff legs' for a short
while but soon got over it - but one of their brothers wasnt able to

walk -
the vet said she thought it was a reaction to the 'live vaccine'. On the
journey home Jasper went mad and raced around the walls of the carrier -
when he emerged when we got home he wasnt able to walk - his left leg was
limp and his back end was wobbly. The breeder came to look and said it was
the same as his brother (definitely not a broken leg) and likely a

reaction
to the vaccine. Beau was fine and explored his new home - poor Jasper had
to be carried everywhere. Jasper is starting to improve now and can just
about manage to hobble around occasionally but now Beau has a problem with
his back and has lost control of his back legs and is dragging himself
around with his front legs - poor thing. It looks like the stress of the
journey caused Jasper to get the reaction before Beau - I am worried that
they wont fully recover - its so sad to see them hobbling around when they
should be running around - has anyone else experienced this?

It sounds more like a problem caused by improper vaccine administration than
an adverse reaction from the vaccine itself. Whoever vaccinated the cats
could have injured a muscle or nerve with the needle-