A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat health & behaviour
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fleas!



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 10th 12, 06:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,065
Default Fleas!

Mack A. Damia wrote:
On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:22:48 -0700, Mack A. Damia
wrote:


Hello cat lovers!

Pookie adopted me almost two years ago; somebody dropped a litter of
kittens in a box off in our small community, and she made it through
several fences and a closed-in porch to my place. She picked the
right place.

This is the first summer I have noticed that she is having a very
definite problem with fleas, amnd I am not even certain where she is
getting them. She is strictly a house cat, although a have a
screened-in porch that she goes on.

I have tried everything - a flea collar (doesn't do a thing)
Frontline (seems to be water) and last week, the groomer put a
stronger lotion on her - supposed to last a month. She is covered
with fleas and very unhappy. So am I.

I have taken her to the groomer several times for a bath, and that is
the only time she seems to be free of them - for a couple of days.
While she is at the groomers, I fumigate the house with bombs and
sprays. Doesn't seem to help one bit.

I know she is upset because she hides from me. I can see them on her
face and cannot even pick the little devils off! I live in a warm
climate, and I am hoping that the fleas will abate as the weather
becomes cooler. As I said, this is the first summer season I have
noticed the problem.

Any advice and help with be greatly appreciated! Thanks! I am upset
because I think she is in misery.


Thanks for all your advice and tips; I am still processing them. Don't
know about giving her a bath every couple of days; I've never tried to
give her one, but the groomer tells me she is quite docile - well,
maybe for him!

Also, trying to figure out something for the screened-in porch.
Actually, it's the white diamond lattice, and I'm wondering if I
should put wainscot half way up the wall. Since the wall borders on a
path, I don't know how I could put down borax soap or cedar chips
effectively.

Has anyone ever heard of a porker mating with a cat? Pookie is a
butterball and is always crying for food. I was under the impression
that cats will not overeat. This one has her nose in "my" food while
I'm eating.


Cats overeat. I have a cat that is heavy boned, like a Main Coon, but he is
like 50% overweight at nearly 30 pounds. He is unhappy unlessw his stomach
is completely full. He eats, throws up, and then ewts some more. I don't
know how to stop him without isolating him from my other 4 cats and starving
him down to size, and this would be very hard to do. The other four cats
only eat when they are hungry, and they have an infinite supply of kibbles
available to them 24/7, as well as canned food whenever they want it.

  #12  
Old September 17th 12, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Fleas!


"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
...

Hello cat lovers!

Any advice and help with be greatly appreciated! Thanks! I am upset
because I think she is in misery.
--


You have to vacuum your entire house and spray everywhere with a hormone
growth regulator. You also need to be using something really effective on
her such as Revolution. Many of the products on the store shelves are no
longer working.

http://www.vetinfo.com/flea-products...egulators.html

Fleas are becoming very resistant to the OTC products.

  #13  
Old September 17th 12, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Fleas!


"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
...

Thanks, there is a concrete path outside the screened-in porch, so I
don't know how the borax soap or cedar chips will work out. She's
here now and seems to be sleeping comfortably, although I think they
bother her periodically. Don't understand why the Frontline doesn't
work. I'll take her to the groomer again next week for a bath and
fumigate as you have advised. Thanks again, much appreciated.


They don't work because fleas are becoming resistant, almost immune to the
commonly products.

  #14  
Old September 18th 12, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Fleas!

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 17:58:08 -0500, "Kelly Greene"
wrote:


"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks, there is a concrete path outside the screened-in porch, so I
don't know how the borax soap or cedar chips will work out. She's
here now and seems to be sleeping comfortably, although I think they
bother her periodically. Don't understand why the Frontline doesn't
work. I'll take her to the groomer again next week for a bath and
fumigate as you have advised. Thanks again, much appreciated.


They don't work because fleas are becoming resistant, almost immune to the
commonly products.


Yes, I have to come to that conclusion from observation. Front Line
doesn't seem to do a thing. It might as well be water.
--


  #15  
Old September 18th 12, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Fleas!

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 17:56:59 -0500, "Kelly Greene"
wrote:


"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
.. .

Hello cat lovers!

Any advice and help with be greatly appreciated! Thanks! I am upset
because I think she is in misery.
--


You have to vacuum your entire house and spray everywhere with a hormone
growth regulator. You also need to be using something really effective on
her such as Revolution. Many of the products on the store shelves are no
longer working.

http://www.vetinfo.com/flea-products...egulators.html

Fleas are becoming very resistant to the OTC products.


Thanks, I'll work on it.
--

  #16  
Old September 18th 12, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
See you in the funny papers.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Fleas! Have you tried this?

Get a flea comb and comb Pookie several times a day. Have handy a glass
of dawn-laced water for them - as they come off on to the comb...dunk
the comb.

Just passing thru...hope you don't mind the suggestion.

  #18  
Old September 18th 12, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,065
Default Fleas!

Mack A. Damia wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 17:58:08 -0500, "Kelly Greene"
wrote:


"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
...

Thanks, there is a concrete path outside the screened-in porch, so I
don't know how the borax soap or cedar chips will work out. She's
here now and seems to be sleeping comfortably, although I think they
bother her periodically. Don't understand why the Frontline doesn't
work. I'll take her to the groomer again next week for a bath and
fumigate as you have advised. Thanks again, much appreciated.


They don't work because fleas are becoming resistant, almost immune
to the commonly products.


Yes, I have to come to that conclusion from observation. Front Line
doesn't seem to do a thing. It might as well be water.


Yes. I caught a flea the other day sitting on a cedar chip while eating a
bowl of borax and washing it down with a cold frontline drink......

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fleas? Richard Evans Cat health & behaviour 3 October 1st 07 06:01 PM
No fleas? David Mooney Cat health & behaviour 2 June 8th 07 08:55 PM
fleas, Help!! [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 3 October 3rd 06 01:27 AM
fleas Jenni G. Cat health & behaviour 24 July 19th 04 07:43 PM
Fleas all over Tang Cheng Yuen Cat rescue 2 July 14th 04 04:19 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.