A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat health & behaviour
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Churchill's Lessons of History



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 28th 12, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Churchill's Lessons of History


I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to engage
in flame wars. I noted more than a few replies to my thead; I posted
it as a clever joke. I'm not the only one who thinks Romney is
evasive about how he's going to pay for all the money problems our
nation has. I'm an ordinary citizen, and I want what is best for all
of us.

Anyway, being a Brit, I have always admired Churchill, and I know some
of you will be interested in his "Lessons of History".

Read and heed:

1. Despite the importance of doing so, we do not learn from history.

2. Science and technology cannot immunize us from history's lessons.

3. Freedom, which Americans believe is longed for by people
worldwide, is not a globally shared value. By contrast, desire for
power, whether wielded as a despot, or as a benevolent empire or
superpower, is a universal value.

4. Known as the cradle of civilization, the Middle East has also been
the graveyard of empires, no matter what their intention, as the
Romans and so many others have learned.

5. America will experience the same ultimate destiny as the memorable
democracies, republics, and superpowers of the past.

6. Religion and spirituality—and the lust for power—are the most
profound motivators in history.

7. Nations and empires rise and fall not because of anonymous social
and economic forces but because of decisions made by individuals.

8. A true statesman possesses four qualities: a bedrock of
principles, a moral compass, a vision, and the ability to build
consensus to achieve that vision.

BTW, Churchill loved cats:

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/supp...line-menagerie

--




  #2  
Old October 29th 12, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,065
Default Churchill's Lessons of History

Mack A. Damia wrote:
I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to engage
in flame wars.....


How the hell can you avoid them? If I post that 2 + 2 = 4 on this forum,
there will appear some ass hole who gives me an argument about it.

  #3  
Old October 29th 12, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Churchill's Lessons of History

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 23:34:19 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

Mack A. Damia wrote:
I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to engage
in flame wars.....


How the hell can you avoid them? If I post that 2 + 2 = 4 on this forum,
there will appear some ass hole who gives me an argument about it.


Nah, it's the name-calling and descent into personal attacks that I
want to avoid. Somebody insults me personally, then I will insult
them, because they are not worth a rational debate. Just my personal
feelings; I know there are those that thrive on flame wars, and
depending on the group, I might participate if I get disgusted enough.

--


  #4  
Old October 30th 12, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,065
Default Churchill's Lessons of History

Mack A. Damia wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 23:34:19 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

Mack A. Damia wrote:
I had unsubscribed but decided to come back. I'm not going to
engage in flame wars.....


How the hell can you avoid them? If I post that 2 + 2 = 4 on this
forum, there will appear some ass hole who gives me an argument
about it.


Nah, it's the name-calling and descent into personal attacks that I
want to avoid. Somebody insults me personally, then I will insult
them, because they are not worth a rational debate. Just my personal
feelings; I know there are those that thrive on flame wars, and
depending on the group, I might participate if I get disgusted enough.


In the long run, it is a waste of time. No one has ever been convinced of
anything by being insulted. If you are trying to conmvince someone that your
point of vies is valid, only continue to do so with rational arguments.
Beyoned that, you are much better off just terminating the discussion and
pick up some other subject to discuss with someone else. I sit here and try
to give people the knowlege I have picked up during my 77 years of living.
But if they don't want to learn anything from me, there is no reason why I
should waste my time with them. Certainly screaming, "YOU IDIOT!!" at them
can't accomplish any purpose whatsoever. Far better to just state what you
have to say, and then bow out.

  #5  
Old October 31st 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,065
Default Churchill's Lessons of History


Someone said:

I'm not the only one who thinks Romney is
evasive about how he's going to pay for all the money problems our
nation has.


Of course he's, "evasive". Nobody can possibly get rid of a 16+ trillion
dollar debt in 8 years or less. He's evasive because he hasn't a clue how to
do the impossible, but the stupid voting public in this country will only be
happy with someone who tells them that he will be able to do just that. The
only thing worse than lying politicians is a voting public that forces them
to lie.....

  #6  
Old October 31st 12, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,065
Default Churchill's Lessons of History

FragSinatra wrote:
Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and never
be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever again.



How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to have to
spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are willing to give their
lives for some non-existent boogy man in the sky? I keep running to one
hiding place or another hoping these idiots won't find and kill me as an
offering....

  #7  
Old October 31st 12, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 48
Default Churchill's Lessons of History

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and
never be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever
again.



How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to have
to spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are willing to
give their lives for some non-existent boogy man in the sky? I keep
running to one hiding place or another hoping these idiots won't find
and kill me as an offering....


There's only ONE religion currently slaughtering, enslaving, raping
and kidnapping people of other faiths in the name of their death god all
over the world, today, in the here and now.

In Iran, one of the first groups rounded up and disappeared following the
Islamic Revolution were Communists.

I predict Christianity will be completely eradicated from the Mid-East
and N. Africa sometime this century, w/the possible exception being Israel.

Anyone who thinks Islam is at all peaceful or tolerant should try wearing
a kippah and tallits publicly in any Islamic state. They better make sure
their life insurance is paid up and their will made out first.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
  #8  
Old November 1st 12, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,065
Default Churchill's Lessons of History

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and
never be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever
again.



How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to have
to spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are willing to
give their lives for some non-existent boogy man in the sky? I keep
running to one hiding place or another hoping these idiots won't find
and kill me as an offering....


There's only ONE religion currently slaughtering, enslaving, raping
and kidnapping people of other faiths in the name of their death god
all over the world, today, in the here and now.

In Iran, one of the first groups rounded up and disappeared following
the Islamic Revolution were Communists.

I predict Christianity will be completely eradicated from the Mid-East
and N. Africa sometime this century, w/the possible exception being
Israel.

Anyone who thinks Islam is at all peaceful or tolerant should try
wearing a kippah and tallits publicly in any Islamic state. They
better make sure their life insurance is paid up and their will made
out first.

I have no use for it either, but then, I have little use for any religion,
with the possible exception of those who support charitable efforts. On of
my favorite charities is also supported by the Catholics, I believe. In
general, religion has been responsible for most of the wars and mass
murderings on this planet since the dawn of mankind. Its death record is
onloy surpassed by its Gods, who, (presumably) have been around since they
created everything, and have been murdering the little creatures for
billions of years......

  #9  
Old November 1st 12, 07:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 48
Default Churchill's Lessons of History

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
Don't like CHristianity? Then **** off to a muslo-nazi state and
never be bothered by Christians, Hindus, Jews, Bahais or Sikhs ever
again.


How do I get away from all of them? Do you know what its like to
have to spend your whole life with a bunch of idiots that are
willing to give their lives for some non-existent boogy man in the
sky? I keep running to one hiding place or another hoping these
idiots won't find and kill me as an offering....


There's only ONE religion currently slaughtering, enslaving, raping
and kidnapping people of other faiths in the name of their death god
all over the world, today, in the here and now.

In Iran, one of the first groups rounded up and disappeared following
the Islamic Revolution were Communists.

I predict Christianity will be completely eradicated from the
Mid-East and N. Africa sometime this century, w/the possible
exception being Israel.

Anyone who thinks Islam is at all peaceful or tolerant should try
wearing a kippah and tallits publicly in any Islamic state. They
better make sure their life insurance is paid up and their will made
out first.

I have no use for it either, but then, I have little use for any
religion, with the possible exception of those who support charitable
efforts. On of my favorite charities is also supported by the
Catholics, I believe. In general, religion has been responsible for
most of the wars and mass murderings on this planet since the dawn of
mankind. Its death record is onloy surpassed by its Gods, who,
(presumably) have been around since they created everything, and have
been murdering the little creatures for billions of years......



I can say with conviction that neither Yeshua nor Buddha EVER advocated
for the persecution or murder of anyone ever, much less had anyone
murdered in their name. All religions are not the same.

The Spanish Inqusition was a picnic in comparison to what the muslims
did and are doing in the Indian sub-continent.

Take a look at jihadwatch.com some day and read the daily litany of
islamic atrocities and persecution, the ones the MSM doesn't bother
to report.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
  #10  
Old November 1st 12, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,994
Default Churchill's Lessons of History

Sylvia M wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:


And this all has something to do about 'cats' or 'health'.
I grant you 'behavior', but isn't there a political newsgroup ?


There is. They feel that they can do what they want. I KF'ed both.

--

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lessons From Mark Edwards (or "A Triple Dose of Cat")... MatSav[_2_] Cat anecdotes 2 June 20th 12 08:52 PM
[OT] Lessons from Geese Yowie Cat anecdotes 8 November 26th 06 10:04 PM
Mr. Fleez on history... Azy Cat anecdotes 0 January 25th 06 04:22 PM
Stalking Lessons for Beatrice Pat Cat anecdotes 6 June 3rd 05 04:41 AM
Skeeter has been taking lessons Yowie Cat anecdotes 32 September 8th 04 09:10 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.