Some felinely feline kitty-cat questions that are probably STOOOOOPID

Old December 16th 09, 12:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,alt.cats
Cheryl[_5_]

Default Some felinely feline kitty-cat questions that are probably STOOOOOPID

Cats Whiskers wrote:
This is an interesting conversation and I couldn't help but add my 2
cents in. You were asking if cats have dreams. My cat Stealth lays on
the outer side of the bed beside me. He was sleeping and I wasn't.
Whatever he was dreaming about made him jump three feet in the air and
land on the floor (on his feet, of course) since there was no noise, no
movement, I can only attribute it to a cat dream. So, yes, I believe
cats have dreams and will weigh in on that side of the conversation.
And if you can picture it, you probably laughed like I did. (smile)

By the way, why is everyone answering at the bottom of the message?
E-mail is meant to answer from the top, and a newsgroup is the same
format and in fact is done from your email program. It would be so
simple to open the next comment and find it at the top and not have to
go all the way down to the bottom to find it. Just thought I would
mention this so people would start answering in that manner.

Many if not most email programs are set to default to top-posting, but
on Usenet, the rule has always been to bottom-post. Otherwise, the
postings get out of order and the debate is harder to follow. Some
groups are more strict than others about insisting on bottom-posting.

I infinitely prefer bottom posting on email as well, also because it
makes it much easier to follow the 'conversation', but wishing for that
is a lost cause since the newer email programs default to top-posting
and most people don't change their defaults.

--
Cheryl
Old December 16th 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,alt.cats
Stormmmee

i haven't ever found a place to change the defaults on OE, but if you can
direct me to such a choice i would be willing to try it to see if my screen
reader would allow it... lord knows i've tried everything else, Lee

--
Have a great day

Old December 16th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,alt.cats
Cheryl[_5_]

Stormmmee wrote:
i haven't ever found a place to change the defaults on OE, but if you can
direct me to such a choice i would be willing to try it to see if my screen
reader would allow it... lord knows i've tried everything else, Lee

I haven't found a way to do it with Outlook, but I only use that for
work emails. I use Thunderbird at home and for newsgroups, and it can be
setup that way.

--
Cheryl
Old December 16th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,alt.cats
Cheryl[_5_]

Cheryl wrote:
Stormmmee wrote:
i haven't ever found a place to change the defaults on OE, but if you
can direct me to such a choice i would be willing to try it to see if
my screen reader would allow it... lord knows i've tried everything
else, Lee

I haven't found a way to do it with Outlook, but I only use that for
work emails. I use Thunderbird at home and for newsgroups, and it can be
setup that way.

And I shouldn't be responding to myself, but I forgot to mention that I
know some people have software issues etc and can't or don't bottom-post
and I don't get upset about that. I just wanted to point out to the OP
that (1) on newsgroups, bottom-posting has and is usually preferred and
(2) this preference is not just arbitrary; a lot of people find it a
much better way of following a discussion, especially one that might get
long.

--
Cheryl
Old December 16th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,alt.cats
Stormmmee

is it easy to install? is that the one that goes with firefox? cost? Lee
willing to try

--
Have a great day

Old December 16th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,alt.cats
Stormmmee

the fact you are willing to discuss it and not freak dispite the preference
you have is worth gold to me... it is a software issue for me. and for some
people with limited vision the same plus eye strain is also a factor... this
goofy text to speech stuff is a pita, even if i go to the end of a message
it just puts my response anywhere it wants... i am going to look at the
program you mentioned in the other post, if i can get it to bottom post
consistently that would be a blessing... do you happen to have a link for
download or further reading?

--
Have a great day

Old December 16th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,alt.cats
Cheryl[_5_]

Stormmmee wrote:
is it easy to install? is that the one that goes with firefox? cost? Lee
willing to try

Yes, it's from the Firefox people. It's free (which is why I use it at
home). It took a bit of adjusting-to - I tend to use an even more basic
program, but for a while the people who ran the server had their
newsgroups unavailable due to upgrading, and while I could find other
newsgroup servers, they wanted more up-to-date software. So I tried
Thunderbird. It's mostly intended for email but does newsgroups
perfectly well. I liked it better than Agent.

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

--
Cheryl

Old December 17th 09, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
moonglow minnow[_2_]

Matthew wrote:
Some people don't like top posting it is "taboo" in the WWW. Personally I
could care less if they do or not. They can gripe all they like till they
pay my internet bill it is what I do along with millions of others. If the
message gets to them than I did what I need to do ;-)

*delurks briefly*

Just a note from one of the old-schoolers... if you top-post, I'm more
likely to skip over your message, thinking you didn't write anything, or
certainly not anything important. Also, when you top post, it's less
likely to make sense order-wise which tends to make me skip things plus
it usually leaves a ton of carp untrimmed that I have to scroll past to
get to the next message. I understand people who top-post because
they're using a screen reader, but otherwise, well, I feel like you're
wasting my time, and even when it's accidental it's rude. And makes it
less likely that your message gets to me, period.

Maeve ^..^ currently supervised by Mischief
--
http://twitter.com/taheenahana
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minnow/

Seeking help for kitty with Feline AIDS jenniferm242 Cat anecdotes 5 November 17th 05 01:28 PM
STOOOOOPID question Lee Cats - misc 6 October 2nd 05 11:38 PM
new kitty questions Tiger Girl Cats - misc 10 August 29th 04 03:44 AM
Various Kitty Questions Beth Cat health & behaviour 6 March 20th 04 02:48 AM
Looking for a vet... What questions should I ask? Al Kondo Cat health & behaviour 12 October 10th 03 07:59 PM