Sergeant's 'Gold' : Okay for our cat?

Old November 1st 04, 09:13 PM
DemoDisk

Default Sergeant's 'Gold' : Okay for our cat?

PJ has been scratching lately, but I didn't know what brand of flea
treatment to get him. On the grocery run to Wal-Mart today, I found they
had 3 brands; Sergeant's (regular and 'gold' varieties), Hartz
(nightmare stories there), and another ("Nexxum" or something, about
$7.00 ).

Is the Sergeant's Gold okay, or should I hunt around for Fronline or
Advantage?

Here's what Sergeant's has

Etofenprox...........................55.00%
Pyriproxyfen...........................2.20%
INERT INGREDIENTS......42.80%

Anything frightening there? I remember that it was pyrethrins that made
Hartz so dangerous and that they refused to recognize the problem.

Any help you can offer, thanks alot.

JM

Old November 2nd 04, 02:55 AM
cdchap911

a word of caution i used hartz on my cat Toby Keith and he had an allergic
reaction to it and went into seizures. You can certainly guess what an
emergency run to the vets office on a sunday and a few days on meds for the
seizures and several bathes to wash all the flea product off him cost. the
vet told me many cats have this reaction. as a result of this because my
cats are indoors all the time except short walks on their leashes she felt
as long as my dog has flea products on her that i would not have a problems
and i have not.

Old November 2nd 04, 08:22 AM
DemoDisk

"cdchap911" wrote in message
a word of caution i used hartz on my cat Toby Keith and he had an

allergic
reaction to it and went into seizures. You can certainly guess what an
emergency run to the vets office on a sunday and a few days on meds

for the
seizures and several bathes to wash all the flea product off him cost.

the
vet told me many cats have this reaction. as a result of this because

my
cats are indoors all the time except short walks on their leashes she

felt
as long as my dog has flea products on her that i would not have a

problems
and i have not.

Thanks for your answer. Interesting that your dog's flea protection
helps the entire house. PJ is also an indoor cat. I'd like to let him
explore the outdoors, and maybe a leash would allow that -- if I could
get him to accept a collar!

JM

Old November 2nd 04, 10:03 AM
Mimi Forsyth

explore the outdoors, and maybe a leash would allow that -- if I could
get him to accept a collar!

Please....a harness, not a collar! A cat can slip out of a collar easily. AND a
cat can get the lower jaw stuck under the collar & get very bloody while going
nuts. I've seen it & it wasn't pretty.

www.mimiforsyth.com

Old November 3rd 04, 03:37 AM
cdchap911

since the dog doesnt bring in any fleas the cats arent getting them because
they are rarely outside in grass or places they can get them...and i agree
use a harness much easier on the animal and safer