I got picked on by blacks and Irish people for being Jewish but I must love these people

Old December 4th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

Default I got picked on by blacks and Irish people for being Jewish but Imust love these people

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 20:19:01 -0800, Phoenix wrote:

tanadashoes wrote:
"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
This online test is interesting (to me, anyway - I am certainly a
geek) (watch the line wrap)

http://www.glennrowe.net/BaronCohen/...ctrumQuotient/

AutismSpectru
mQuotient.aspx
I scored 30 on this test.....

Close, I scored 31...

Wow. Am I the only weirdo? I scored 8. And I'm a geek (I translate geek
to English, anyway, writing technical materials for developers).

I got a score of 35, placing me in the Asperger's category according to
this test. However, I have long suspected that I fall into this category.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old December 4th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Marina kirjoitti:

I, in turn, seem to be much less introvert than I thought. I scored 21.
No wonder I feel a complete outsider in this thread... No one ever
picked on me. But I didn't pick on anyone, either.

I scored 21 too. Maybe it's a Finnish thing.
But then I got picked on at school, and did some picking on of my own
too, I'm afraid...not for long tho...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old December 4th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Phoenix wrote:

Wow. Am I the only weirdo? I scored 8. And I'm a geek (I
translate geek to English, anyway, writing technical materials
for developers).

No, an 8 means you're normal! Of course, in this group, that does
make you a weirdo.

I translate geek to medicalese - I write manuals for doctors and
radiology techs who use our fancy imaging system.

Come to think of it, I believe the capacity for
joy is the biggest free lunch of all. Stef Maruch

Small world - Stef is one of my very best friends in the world!!
How do you know her (if you don't mind saying)?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 4th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in
:

I got a score of 35, placing me in the Asperger's category according
to this test. However, I have long suspected that I fall into this
category.

34 here.
Old December 4th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Dec 2, 2:28*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
*The difference is that Aspies
will do it inappropriately to everyone.

Where I used to work we had a colleague who in the opinion of another
colleague has Aspergers and as she has previously worked as a head
teacher in a school for children with autism and Asperberger's we
thought she knew what she was talking about for certain

The guy had no social skills at all- you almost had to stand 6 inches
from him before he would even greet you in the morning- he simply
couldn't make small talk at all. You would come in of a morning and
say "Hi Zac" and he would almost seem to have to refer to some sort of
internal manual before answering "Hi"

He also was terribly proud of what he called "being honest", which in
reality was downright nasty- he once asked me why on Earth he wasn;t
allowed to stab another colleague? And no matter how hard I tried it
just didn't seem to get through that "being honest" was one thing and
threatening a colleague with murder was another. To him he wanted to
stab her and didn't see why he couldn't. I had more than one
conversation with him where I was aware he was a big guy and a lot
taller than me and he was trying perhaps without realising it to get
between me and the door whilst telling me if he punched me (with hand
gestures) that was GBH but if he stabbed me (again with gestures) that
was ABH and when I told him I found his conversation intimidating he
blinked for a second, seemed genuinely surprised that I might find it
so then added he knew a Karate blow that could kill me quicker than a
bullet. He was very matter of fact that in a previous job someone had
said something he didn't like and he'd thrown the guy against the
wall and when told to stop strangling him he's dropped the guy to the
floor and kicked him in the head- to him it was more "honest" and he
seemed quite surprised when I told him he ought to have been sacked.
He sure as Hell did not like anything that suggested he wasn't being
"honest" and within his rights. He completely misread our line
manager inviting us to her 30th party because when she said he could
bring his girlfriend if he wished or some friends he took the question
to mean she wanted to have sex with him and when she pulled him up on
something he made a complaint saying she was being unfair because she
wanted to have sex with him and he'd turned her down. Oh and he
wouldn't have had sex with her because he'd tallked to some other men
at work and they all agreed as he put it in an email to her boss
"shoving my c**k up her c**t would mean I would catch something" (I
put the asteriks in- he didn't)

The worse thing through was his car obsession he talked at great
lenght about cars and completely failed to see why no one else was
interested. He was spending thousands on getting a second hand Mondeo
customised although in all the 2 years he worked with me, said car
remained in the garage who were always calling him and telling him
that if he spent another X or Y then it would go 0.1% faster or
whatever (I have a sneaking feeling he paid for the Jacuzzi in their
changing room) but never mind him having a hobby- he would insert cars
into any conversation, for example one night I was on my way out and
another colleague asked what my plans were for the evening and I said
"Not much- gotta get some cat food" and even through he wasn't part of
the conversation he immediately came in with "Cat? Catalytic converter
on cars!". You couldn't say "It'a lunch time and I am popping to the
sandwich bar to get a roll" without the words "Rolls Royce" being next
thing you'd hear. He once asked me if I was okay and I said not bad
for a Monday and he started "Monday? That sound a bit like Mondeo
that's a car made by Ford did I tell you I have a Mondeo?"

I once sat him down and in great detail explained that I regarded cars
as a tin can with wheels on and he stared at me as if I had just said
I was the bearer of the one ring or something or possibly Gary
Glitter's pimp- he really hust could not get how someone could have a
cat instead of a car...

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old December 4th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I've seen no symptoms of Aspergers as I know it in this thread. What
you
are all describing is fascinating aspects of your own personality where
you
pursue an interest that is very important to you.

You are allowed to be a geek. It doesn't mean you have Aspergers.

This online test is interesting (to me, anyway - I am certainly a geek)
(watch the line wrap)

http://www.glennrowe.net/BaronCohen/.../AutismSpectru
mQuotient.aspx

I scored 30 on this test..... I would describe myself as an introvert,
for sure, but, wow.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Interesting - I scored a 26, above average.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 4th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

[...]

[snip]

This guy might have had Asperger's, who knows, but even if he did, he
clearly had a few other serious problems, like major hostility. That
guy was dangerous!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 4th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

William Hamblen wrote:
On 03 Dec 2008 22:27:46 GMT, wrote:

I really don't obsess about that stuff very much any more. Can a
person outgrow autism? If it's due to a brain injury or developmental
issue, how could that change? I think it's probably more likely that
a person who seems to "outgrow" childhood autism probably didn't have
it to begin with, but simply had behavior patterns that looked a lot
like it, the way I did.

Everybody has their quirks, but autism is a devastating condition.
I've known a few autistic people and they were severely disabled.

We're talking about "Austism spectrum" - full blown clinically Austism can
render a person severely disabled, but there is a 'spectrum' and not
everyone who sits on the spectrum are at the severe end and/or severely
disabled.

Dr Temple Grandin has 'high functioning' full Austism and its debatable
whether she's *dis*abled or just has a very different set of abilities than
average.

People with Asperger's syndrome also fall into the the "Austism Spectrum
Disorder" category, although, again, its debatable as to whether they are
actually disabled or just do and think things differently than most. There's
also mild cases and severe cases of Asperger's - I'm suggesting that at
least the milder cases of Asperger's are what previous generations used to
call "Geek". I could be wrong.

Yowie
--
"because its more fun to be evil" - Jarppi, _The Dudesons_

Old December 4th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:
Lesley wrote:

[...]

The Aspies I know - and they're *diagnosed* Aspies, not the ones I
*suspect* - kooky, quirky and quite obsessive about their pet subject(s),
but they are extremely gentle people (as are the ones I *suspect*, as well).

Sometimes I do have to sit and explain why something they've said wasn't
appropriate, but at least I know what they said was not intended to hurt.
Once explained, they tend to add it to their 'rule book' and don't do it
again. Then again, the diagnosed Aspies I know are aware that they don't
pick up on things that others naturally understand, they appreciate being
told that whatever it was wasn't appropriate (although they also usually
want to know *why* it isn't appropriate) and endeavour not to do it again
because they have no wish to hurt or otherwise upset people.

My favourite Aspie is also extremely good at explaining behaviour to me that
I find mystifying, because he's sat and thought about it and researched it.
He also has to have yoghurt and tahini on absolutely everything he eats and
carries them both with him at all times, and the yoghurt has to go on first.
He's also obsessed with finding the best 'deal' on absolutely everything.
He's not a 'tight arse' as such, but will go to extreme lengths to get the
cheapest price on things. He takes haggling to an extreme sport and haggles
with *everything* which can be embrassing when haggling is not appropriate.
He also hates wearing shoes.

With the tahini & yoghurt, the haggling, and the lack of shoes, we just
dont' take him out to eat at any sort of 'sit down' restaurant - it jsut
doesn't work. But he is *brilliant* at roleplaying and I love him dearly. He
got diagnosed when his son was diagnosed.

Yowie
--
"because its more fun to be evil" - Jarppi, _The Dudesons_

Old December 4th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Dec 3, 11:33*pm, wrote:
Small world - Stef is one of my very best friends in the world!!
How do you know her (if you don't mind saying)?

I don't think Fast Eddie is in the newsgroup :-) and I got the quote
from another newsgroup we both frequent; have met her in person a
couple times when they were here for Orycon.

Deborah
thinks "normal" is a setting on the dryer