Anybody Get My Card Yet?

Old December 11th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Anybody Get My Card Yet?

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 23:57:18 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
. ..
Now that S&S have finished making whatever plans they were making,
both have had a chance to sniff the card. Sammy got to it first and
either ate the hair or made it disappear somehow. Spotty didn't get a
sniff of Texas kitty hair, but there remained enough scent that she
attacked the card.

Note: Sammy does this every year when card comes with a snip of hair.
She gets VERY interested and does that sniffing with her mouth open
thing (I know there's a term for that, just don't know what it is).
--

Could it be the Flehman response? I didn't know cats did it.

It's common in male goats, deer etc when sniffing at a female to see if
she
is ready to be mated. They lift their top lips up, there are glands under
it that can take in more scent, apparently.
It does sound a bit like that, doesn't it?

yes, since the OP I've done what I should have before posting -
google it and see what I'm talking about ;-) Here's an excerpt from
http://cats.about.com/cs/felineanato...nose_scent.htm

I learn something most days on here. I am familiar with Flehman in goats,
since I kept them for a long time but I'm surprised cats do it too. I
thought it was just something that carnivores didn't do, specific to
herbivores.

Tweed

Old December 11th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Steve Touchstone wrote:
The appearance of the cat as he brings air into
the Jacobson's Organ has sometimes been likened to a "smile," other
times to a grimace.

Caliban just looks even more dim-witted than usual when he does it.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old December 11th 08, 07:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Marina wrote:

Steve Touchstone wrote:

The appearance of the cat as he brings air into
the Jacobson's Organ has sometimes been likened to a "smile," other
times to a grimace.

Caliban just looks even more dim-witted than usual when he does it.

Poor Caliban! One day you're going to come home and find that he's
achieved world peace. In his spare time!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old December 11th 08, 10:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I've learn't something too, I thought it was only cats that did it, I never
knew goats did as well.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old December 11th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

CatNipped kirjoitti:
I'm curious about how long it's taking the post office to get cards
delivered this year - within the US versus overseas as well. Also, as soon
as I think most of them have been delivered, I'd like to post both the Word
document (for those who want to print it and put with their other Christmas
cards), and the panel-by-panel html version.

Thanks!

Got the card today. Thanks.
Laku went totally bonkers over the fluff bit enclosed, he was sniffing
like mad, started to drool and was yowling for a good while after I took
it away from him. Wonder if the fluff was from one of your girl kitties,
or if there was some catnip on it too??

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old December 11th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Dec 8, 5:19�pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
I'm curious about how long it's taking the post office to get cards
delivered this year - within the US versus overseas as well. �Also, as soon
as I think most of them have been delivered, I'd like to post both the Word
document (for those who want to print it and put with their other Christmas
cards), and the panel-by-panel html version.

Thanks!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Visit all my masters at: �http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

My aide and I opened mine yesterday. We both really loved it. The
Orange Bros were so cute. I hope the retrobution for dressing them
wasn't too bad.

Suz&Spicey
Old December 11th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Adrian wrote:

I've learn't something too, I thought it was only cats that did it, I never
knew goats did as well.

I thought it was only cats for very long - all the numerous cat books
I've read mentioned it - then a couple of years ago I saw a picture of a
horse doing it on abpa (hilarious!). Now I learn that goats do it, too.

Old December 11th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
I'm curious about how long it's taking the post office to get cards
delivered this year - within the US versus overseas as well. Also, as
soon as I think most of them have been delivered, I'd like to post both
the Word document (for those who want to print it and put with their
other Christmas cards), and the panel-by-panel html version.

Thanks!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Visit all my masters at: http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

I got your card today! Thanks! How can they stand being dressed up?

It's the price they pay, once a year, for being spoiled rotten the rest of
the year! ;

Even though I have a fireplace back home I don't have a mantle there.
Here I've got a gas fireplace that has never been used and it scares the
heck out of me. But it's got a mantle and cards on the mantle I got
your card but whose fur was that, Sammy's?

That was a mixture of everyone's hair - but naturally Sammy had the most to
contribute (not that she contributed it gladly).

I also got a card from Christine Burel. And a check for Christy's gift!
Oh dear, you didn't have to do that Christine!

And I got a couple of cards from long-lost cousins. Heh, funny they
should come crawling out of the woodwork right around this time. I was
here this time last year and didn't see a single card from them. Funny,
huh?

I was walking some cards and bills out to the mailbox and a woman walking
a couple of pekenese came by. She was bundled up in a coat, sweater and
gloves. I was wearing shorts and a short sleeve knitted top. It was 60
degrees outside. She said, "Aren't you cold?" I replied, "Hell no, I'm
going through menopause." She laughed. She was probably 75 years old. I
swear I'm the youngest person on this island.

Jill

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 11th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Christine K" wrote in message
CatNipped kirjoitti:
I'm curious about how long it's taking the post office to get cards
delivered this year - within the US versus overseas as well. Also, as
soon as I think most of them have been delivered, I'd like to post both
the Word document (for those who want to print it and put with their
other Christmas cards), and the panel-by-panel html version.

Thanks!

Got the card today. Thanks.
Laku went totally bonkers over the fluff bit enclosed, he was sniffing
like mad, started to drool and was yowling for a good while after I took
it away from him. Wonder if the fluff was from one of your girl kitties,
or if there was some catnip on it too??

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

The bit of fluff was from all the kitties, with Sammy contributing the most,
naturally (but she didn't contribute it willingly - she is very stingy with
her fur)! And, yes, there was some of the "good stuff" from the clowder's
'nip stash mixed in.

Hugs,

CatNipped

card shaved Cat health & behaviour 0 November 15th 08 08:38 AM
Would You Like A Cat Card From Me?? Kyla =^..^= Cat anecdotes 2 February 17th 08 10:52 PM
Here's my card! Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 8 October 12th 05 02:22 PM
don't sow a card Cmdr. Y. K. van Dyke Cat anecdotes 0 September 12th 05 10:49 AM