It's here!!! (not really OT)

Old January 19th 05, 03:32 PM
Victor Martinez

Default It's here!!! (not really OT)

Well, our Threadclimber 5000 arrived yesterday! We spent about a couple
of hours assembling it and we both put in a 30 min workout on it. It's
different from any other exercise machine I've tried, but it does seem
to be a good workout. It comes with a hear rate sensor and I was pleased
to discover I am in good enough shape that my heart rate never went
above 120 (Tom's was over 140 when he was working out). I guess yoga
does give you good cardiovascular benefits...
Anyhow, we're now trying to figure out how to keep the cats from it
before they discover the threads make a nice scratching surface.
The machine came in 3 huge boxes, so the cats now have an awesome toy
made up of 1 large box with 3 large holes (cat size) and 1 small hole
(paw size). They spent *hours* in and out of it yesterday, playing
footsies through the little hole. It was fun for the whole familiy!
We're leaving the box in the living room for the time being.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 19th 05, 07:40 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-19, Victor Martinez penned:
Well, our Threadclimber 5000 arrived yesterday! We spent about a couple
of hours assembling it and we both put in a 30 min workout on it. It's
different from any other exercise machine I've tried, but it does seem
to be a good workout. It comes with a hear rate sensor and I was pleased
to discover I am in good enough shape that my heart rate never went
above 120 (Tom's was over 140 when he was working out). I guess yoga
does give you good cardiovascular benefits...

Before you go patting yourself on the back toooo much ...

I'm pretty sure that it's entirely healthy to have a high heart rate when
you're working out. It's when you're at rest that it's a concern.

Here's some light reading on the subject:

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1973.html

When you're at rest, a slow, steady heart beat is good because your heart's
only chance to rest is between beats. When you're actually moving, your heart
needs to work harder, of course.

As an example, take Lance Armstrong. According to this article, his resting
heart rate is 32bpm, but he can get up to around 200 when he's really exerting
himself:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?020715fa_fact1

(some poking around online shows that the numbers may be around 40 and 190,
but you get the idea)

So, if you're 40 (number plucked from the air), your max rate might be 180, so
your target rate during exercise would be (if you follow the averages, which
you certainly might not!) 90-135. Bear in mind, though, that having a rate
higher than that does *not* indicate that a person is unhealthy.

Or, to put it another way ... it's possible that you need to push yourself a
little more on this thing to reach your target heart rate. On the other hand,
if you're not accustomed to exercise, please do take it slowly and don't push
yourself too hard.

I personally find the heart rate thing to be a pain, so I go by Covert
Bailey's suggestion, which is an optimal aerobic workout allows you to speak
words and short phrases, but does not allow you to carry on a conversation.
If you're so short of breath that you can't say, "Hi, how are you?", then
you're on into an anaerobic workout. Which is what Lance is almost certainly
doing when he pushes 200 bpm.

All of this is completely amateur and you shouldn't believe a word I say,
except that you might want to do some research yourself and talk to your
doctor.

Ooor you could mention your goals (weight loss? Increased fitness? etc) and I
will happily babble my amateur knowledge, as I love talking about this stuff.

Anyhow, we're now trying to figure out how to keep the cats from it
before they discover the threads make a nice scratching surface.
The machine came in 3 huge boxes, so the cats now have an awesome toy
made up of 1 large box with 3 large holes (cat size) and 1 small hole
(paw size). They spent *hours* in and out of it yesterday, playing
footsies through the little hole. It was fun for the whole familiy!
We're leaving the box in the living room for the time being.

Wow, sounds like an awesome fort for the kitties!

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 20th 05, 03:22 PM
bonbon

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:32:16 GMT, Victor Martinez
wrote:

[...]

Cats and cardboard. Can't go wrong there. Sounds like the whole
family is having fun with the new toys.

I want a new toy.

And nothing wrench like or trowel like or anything to do with
concrete.

-bonbon
Old January 20th 05, 05:55 PM
CatNipped

wrote:

[...]

Are you still laying concrete??!! You're such a tiny little thing, it's
hard to picture you doing that - but, going by the fantastic job you did
with the cat trees (you should post a picture of the one you did for your
daughter, BTW, it blew me away), you are a very handy wench!! ;

Still trying to plan a day for us to get together again, but RL is kicking
my @$$ lately!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 24th 05, 03:58 PM
bonbon

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:55:55 -0600, "CatNipped"
wrote:

"bonbon" wrote in message
.. .

I want a new toy.

And nothing wrench like or trowel like or anything to do with
concrete.

-bonbon

Are you still laying concrete??!! You're such a tiny little thing, it's
hard to picture you doing that - but, going by the fantastic job you did
with the cat trees (you should post a picture of the one you did for your
daughter, BTW, it blew me away), you are a very handy wench!! ;

Still trying to plan a day for us to get together again, but RL is kicking
my @$$ lately!

Well, it's no wonder with that mountain of work they keep heaping on
you at your job. Hey, maybe you ought to find a copy of "Writing The
Professional Resume" or something like that, and leave it
conspicuously sticking out of that mountain of work for when your boss
walks by (or heads over to give you some more duties). After a couple
of days (to let it register) I'll bet he calls you into his office to
discuss a pay raise.

Yep. I'm still at it. Just finishing up the master bath in that
enormous, beautiful house. The shower area (sunken) is all done in
natural slate, with steps leading up to the 2 to 4 person tub, and the
tub is surrounded with lava rock spreading to cover two walls
to create a cave effect. Within the lava rocks, there will be three
waterfalls. It's looking pretty nice, but I tell you, that lava rock
is unforgiving stuff. MEOWCH!!!!

Hugs,

Back at 'cha.

CatNipped

-bonbon

Old January 24th 05, 07:03 PM
CatNipped

"bonbon" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:55:55 -0600, "CatNipped"
wrote:

"bonbon" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Hmmmmm. Good idea!!!

Yep. I'm still at it. Just finishing up the master bath in that
enormous, beautiful house. The shower area (sunken) is all done in
natural slate, with steps leading up to the 2 to 4 person tub, and the
tub is surrounded with lava rock spreading to cover two walls
to create a cave effect. Within the lava rocks, there will be three
waterfalls. It's looking pretty nice, but I tell you, that lava rock
is unforgiving stuff. MEOWCH!!!!

Oh WOW! That sounds absolutely gorgeous - can you sneak some pics?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Hugs,

Back at 'cha.

CatNipped

-bonbon

Old January 25th 05, 12:28 AM
Victor Martinez

bonbon wrote:
enormous, beautiful house. The shower area (sunken) is all done in
natural slate, with steps leading up to the 2 to 4 person tub, and the
tub is surrounded with lava rock spreading to cover two walls
to create a cave effect. Within the lava rocks, there will be three
waterfalls. It's looking pretty nice, but I tell you, that lava rock

Sounds very, very nice! How much is something like that? I bet it's
pricey...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he