Phil--question re new litterbox

Old January 23rd 05, 08:48 PM
Jean B.

Default Phil--question re new litterbox

Is the placement of the new litterbox also important? Do they
associate that with the pain they were in?
--
Jean B.
Old January 23rd 05, 11:09 PM
Phil P.

"Jean B." wrote in message ...
Is the placement of the new litterbox also important? Do they
associate that with the pain they were in?
--
Jean B.

Naa, I don't think you need to move the box as long as its in a quiet, low
traffic spot where you can still observe his litterbox behavior from a
distance. He'll be pretty stressed out when he gets home, so, you don't
want to make too many changes that will add to the stress. I'd use the
same brand litter, too.

Did you find out if he was actually blocked? Interstitial cystitis produces
symptoms similar to a partial blockage If that's the case, stress can
exacerbate IC so you'll want to eliminate or reduce as much stress as
possible.

Pass on any news you get, ok?

Good luck.

Phil. (thawing out)

"It always gives me a shiver when I see a cat
seeing what I can't" --Eleanor Farjeon
Feline Healthca http://maxshouse.com

Old January 24th 05, 12:40 PM
Jean B.

"Phil P." wrote:

"Jean B." wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the additional info.

Here's my news (some not news). All I have heard thus far is that
Ming had struvite crystals--lots of them, although, thank goodness
(and other things), he was only partially blocked. I may have
more details when I go to get him. They kept him two nights,
largely because he had so many crystals and his urine output
wasn't as high the first night as they had hoped. He is now
peeing without the catheter, and, thank goodness, they realize the
probable reason he has not used the box that much is that he is
scared to go out of the upside-down box to do that. (I REALLY
hate to see how messed up he's going to be both physically and
mentally when I go get him! Last time he went to the vet's even,
he was shedding like mad and a horrible tangly mess!)

I am picking him up this morning. I have to be prepared for him
to want to be by himself for a while I guess, even though I hope
he will come up on the bed with me for comfort. I guess I will
just have to play this by ear and go with whatever makes him most
comfortable, which, I hope, won't include his peeing on the floor.

Oh, I would add that in addition to paying attention to how long
your cat(s) stay in the potty, you (pl--not, you, Phil, because
you undoubtedly know this!) should also take note if they are
licking a lot. I did notice that and attached little importance
to it. I now see this is a possible symptom of problems, and I
guess it makes sense. The vet said once a cat has blocked, he/she
will probably reblock, that it's only a matter of time. If I note
the lagging/licking even earlier and catch things even earlier,
would the fix be easier and entail less time away from home? It's
sort-of ironic that stress can be a factor (or so I read), and
Ming has now been majorly stressed out for two days. And I don't
think he has eaten ANYTHING..............
--
Jean B.
Old January 24th 05, 05:09 PM
Mary

"Jean B." wrote
Here's my news (some not news). All I have heard thus far is that
Ming had struvite crystals--lots of them, although, thank goodness
(and other things), he was only partially blocked.

I am so glad you got him in, and that you get him back today.
My guess is that he will be in your lap in no time. Cats are
amazingly resilient.