[OT] coca-cola and rust

Old March 25th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] coca-cola and rust

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

William Hamblen wrote:

...children substituting soft drinks for milk.

We weren't ALLOWED to! (Of course, growing up during the
Depression had its advantages - we didn't have much money
for such "extras" as soft drinks, whereas milk was
considered a necessary food.)

When I was a kid, we drank soft drinks with dinner because it wasn't
kosher to have milk with your meals (which usually had meat). I never
liked any of the sodas, but there wasn't much other choice. There was
always water, of course, but that seemed really boring. (That's what
I drink with most meals now, though.) To this day, even though I don't
keep kosher, I find the idea of drinking milk with a meal kind of
nauseating. And I really detest almost all soda. It's not really a
health thing, I just hate the taste.

Joyce
Old March 25th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:18:27 -0600, "Pat"
wrote:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

I haven't drunk a Coke (nor any other soft drink, for that matter)
since childhood, maybe age 7-8, when I witnessed my father using it
to dissolve corrosion around a battery terminal.

Pat -- my father did the same thing with a mixture of baking soda and
water.

I don't think baking soda is that bad for you (and if it is, we'll
have to stop eating anything baked!).

Would baking soda dissolve the calcium in a water heater?

I think that, for the lime (calcium chloride) deposits in a water
heater, you would need a mild acid such as Coke or vinegar. The
latter would be much cheaper, and is the traditional way to clean lime
deposits out of coffee makers and the like. Baking soda is used to
clean battery terminal corrosion because the corrosion is acidic in
nature.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old March 26th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

William Hamblen wrote:

...children substituting soft drinks for milk.

We weren't ALLOWED to! (Of course, growing up during the
Depression had its advantages - we didn't have much money
for such "extras" as soft drinks, whereas milk was
considered a necessary food.)

When I was a kid, we drank soft drinks with dinner because it wasn't
kosher to have milk with your meals (which usually had meat). I never
liked any of the sodas, but there wasn't much other choice. There was
always water, of course, but that seemed really boring. (That's what
I drink with most meals now, though.) To this day, even though I don't
keep kosher, I find the idea of drinking milk with a meal kind of
nauseating. And I really detest almost all soda. It's not really a
health thing, I just hate the taste.

Well, of course having been raised a WASP, our only dietary
considerations were financial rather than religious. ;-) I
never thought about it, but before the advent of soft
drinks, what DID a kosher household serve its kids as a
mealtime beverage? (Although if they were Russian Jews,
maybe weak tea?) Certainly, before some sort of
refrigeration, children in many cultures were served a
waterd down version of the wine or beer the adults drank,
but SFAIK, Jewish families were more abstemious (except for
the holidays).

Old March 26th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default coca-cola and rust

(Snort) Old custom in the south! Peanuts in your Coke bottle! Maybe
not in Kentucky, then. But you are NOT *that* old, even though Nehi,
not Coke, was the favored refreshment in my childhood neighborhood.
Nobody but the grownups drank tea. Matthew

Back in the late 70's I went to school in NY for a year. They called
it "soda", which was new to me as we called it "pop" back in Montana,
AND they put peanuts in the bottle. Of course I came back talkin about
soda, and doing the peanut thingy, and everyone thought I was nutty!LOL

Mythbusters did a big segment on the Coke uses myth and, according to
them, pretty much disproved everything but as a meat tenderizer. Maybe
someone else can remember more particulars about that show.

PatM

Old March 26th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote

I have a ceramic teapot.

Whenever I pour tea, some leaves always come out into the strainer.
Are you saying that pre-heating the pot before making tea will keep
the leaves in the pot when you pour the tea?

Sort of.... If you preheat the ceramic teapot, the water to brew the tea
stays hotter for a longer time, and helps the tea particles become saturated
quicker and sink down. Pouring slowly keeps them in the bottom, too.

When I'm making tea for myself, just one cup, I preheat the cup and put the
leaves in as if it was a teapot. Not quite as effective because the heat is
lost faster due to the small size of the container.

It works great for coffee, though, if you use espresso grind. Best coffee
I've ever had is made this way. You could make larger quantities of this
coffee in a ceramic teapot, too.

Old March 26th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I never thought about it, but before the advent of soft
drinks, what DID a kosher household serve its kids as a
mealtime beverage?

Good question. I grew up in the 1960s, so there were sodas readily
available.

Certainly, before some sort of
refrigeration, children in many cultures were served a
waterd down version of the wine or beer the adults drank,
but SFAIK, Jewish families were more abstemious (except for
the holidays).

Actually, Jewish families are more likely to give their kids a
little bit of wine, maybe not for dinner, but as you said, at
holidays, and also on the Sabbath. (At least, they did when I
was young - probably people are more cautious about this now.)
There was even a theory that Jews had a lower percentage of
alcoholism than other populations because the "attraction" was
taken out of it by not making it forbidden. I don't buy this
theory, because addiction doesn't come from being attracted to
the forbidden... and anyway, is it even true that Jews have fewer
alcoholics? I guess it's a stereotype, but I don't know if it's
true. Or if it is true, then it's probably a genetic thing.

Joyce
Old March 26th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
There was even a theory that Jews had a lower percentage of
alcoholism than other populations because the "attraction" was
taken out of it by not making it forbidden. I don't buy this
theory, because addiction doesn't come from being attracted to
the forbidden...

I think there's definitely something in this "forbidden fruit" theory.
Take me and my best friend growing up, the girl next door. In my house,
wine was a normal mealtime drink, at least on weekends and holidays. We
children could have some with the meal when we wanted it, probably
around age 12 or 13 - before that we drank milk or water (and didn't
even want wine). The girl next door was strictly forbidden to touch any
alcoholic beverage. Her dad didn't drink at all, and her mum only if she
was offered some when she was visiting somewhere. So they never had any
alcohol in the house.

Fast forward to our late teens. Guess which one of us was always drunk
out of her mind on weekends and at parties, and which one had to look
after her and make sure she got home? I did drink some, but I just never
saw the attraction of getting that drunk. I lost contact with her later,
but I don't think she became an alcoholic, just very fond of the drink.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Stories and pics at
http://koti.welho.com/mkurten/
Old March 26th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
Pat wrote:

But a ceramic teapot. Preheat it with boiling water before you make tea.
Pour out the hot water, then add loose tea, then add simmering hot water and
let it steep for a while. When you pour the tea, slowly, into cups, the
leaves (or flowers, twigs, roots, whatever) will stay in the ceramic pot. No
need for a strainer.

I have a ceramic teapot.

Whenever I pour tea, some leaves always come out into the strainer.
Are you saying that pre-heating the pot before making tea will keep
the leaves in the pot when you pour the tea?

I had a ceramic teapot with a built-in strainer, also ceramic. That one
broke. Now I use a stainless-steel "teabag" in my current porcelain pot.
The "teabag" is a strainer of stainless steel, formed like an egg, with
a chain with a hook to attach it to the edge of your cup if you're
making just one cup of tea. It opens into two halves and you put the tea
leaves inside. It does get gunky, but it's not rust, it's the tea that
discolours it. Doesn't affect the taste. I rinse it every day before
use, and put it in the dishwasher whenever I remember.

Old March 26th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I know what you are talking about there DNR just messing with you. I am
old enough to know better be over the hill and approaching senior citizen
discount
"dnr" wrote in message
. ..

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL:
This may seem unsympathic, Joyce....but AFAIC Coke is for drinking!
When I was a kid, we put peanuts in the bottle (you, too, Matt?)

What who me I don't know what you are talking about I don't remember my
childhood the wheel had just been invented I think :-)