Cat sleeping in my hair

Old June 23rd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat sleeping in my hair

Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
asleep behind my head, in my hair.

Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.

Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

Old June 23rd 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

BetsyinVA wrote:

Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
asleep behind my head, in my hair.

Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.

Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

That is SO COOL! It means he's trying to bond and communicate with
you :-) It means he's smart and loves you.

Old June 23rd 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"BetsyinVA" wrote in message
ps.com...
Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
asleep behind my head, in my hair.

Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.

Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

Just move him, and pet him after you do. (And be persistent, no
doubt he will think it is a game!) Don't encourage anything
you would not want a 15-lb cat to do. Also, start early handling his
feet so you will be able to clip his claws without a hassle. Make
feet handling part of the petting, and reward him with treats and
love. (Touch his tail, too, so he won't grow up into a cat that
turns into a demon when you touch their tale! I have oneof those
and it can be very startling when you touch that tail and don't
realize it!)

Old June 23rd 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

So cute! You are his mom, now!

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old June 23rd 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"BetsyinVA" wrote in message
ps.com...
Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
asleep behind my head, in my hair.

Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.

Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

Just be careful. Lots of us have been suffocated to death by cats sleeping on top of
us.

Adam

Old June 23rd 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

My now one year old cat still does this at times. He kneads my head for
about 5 minutes and then falls asleep on top of my head. I think this is
like a child sucking his thumb to fall asleep. Consider it a compliment. I
do.
Gail
ps.com...

Old June 23rd 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"BetsyinVA" wrote in message
ps.com...
Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
asleep behind my head, in my hair.

Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.

Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

Cats & kittens are individuals when it comes
to preferred sleeping locations. One of my
cats sleeps under the covers between my
legs every night. Another cat sleeps on top of
the headboard over my head. The other two
sleep elsewhere (not even in our bedroom).
My elderly Burmese, in the six months or so
before she died, insisted on sleeping on my
pillow right next to my head. She'd never
done that before.

If you don't like the kitten sleeping close to
your head, you might try picking her up and
moving her to another location. Do this
a couple of times and she might get the hint.

Gail F.
Wage Slave to Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa

Old June 23rd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 23 Jun 2006 06:40:05 -0700, "BetsyinVA" wrote:

Yesterday I got a new kitten. He is adjusting to our house in
increments. I slept in the same room with him last night so he wouldn't
panic (new house, he's a feral cat learning to be an indoor kitty,
plyus we had a big thunderstorm last night). I woke up to find him
asleep behind my head, in my hair.

Is this ok? He also seems very interested in my face and tried a few
times last night to walk on my face, although I quickly discouraged
that. I'm not too thrilled about having him sleep on top of my head,
either, but am happy if he wants to sleep next to any other part of my
body. My last kitty slep next to me but never went near my head.

Thoughts? Thanks, Betsy

He takes comfort from your presence.

Charlie
Old June 24th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I brought home a shelter kitten, who has now become my baby girl,
Marziale. She insisted on sleeping in my hair when I first brought her
home. At first I just moved her casually each time, petting and
reassuring her as I did so, eventually I even gave up on this, not sure
if it was getting anywhere. After about a week she migrated to just
sleeping beside me, sometimes the crook of my neck, sometimes by my
stomach, anything to be close. Consider it a compliment that the cat
cares that much about you already, you are officially part of its
family

Britt

Barb wrote:
According to Adam Helberg-
Just be careful. Lots of us have been suffocated to death by cats sleeping
on top of
us.

-- Why don't we take a poll? How many of us have been suffocated to death
by our cats? And, did it happen once, twice or more?

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Old June 24th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"sax_playa86" wrote in message
ups.com...
I brought home a shelter kitten, who has now become my baby girl,
Marziale. She insisted on sleeping in my hair when I first brought her
home. At first I just moved her casually each time, petting and
reassuring her as I did so, eventually I even gave up on this, not sure
if it was getting anywhere. After about a week she migrated to just
sleeping beside me, sometimes the crook of my neck, sometimes by my
stomach, anything to be close. Consider it a compliment that the cat
cares that much about you already, you are officially part of its
family

Britt

To cats, with their very sensitive noses, hair must be very fragrant.
So I can see how being in a human's hair might equal being very
close to them.