problem...Dyna's tooth/teeth

Old August 14th 04, 07:18 AM
Sylvia M.

Default problem...Dyna's tooth/teeth

Sorry for not posting in cat chat...
I'm too upset to play....

Took Dyna to vet today for rabies shot.
He looked in her mouth and found a tooth with a problem.
Said that it wasn't a cavity, but rather "calcium erosion"
was just above where the gum would usually be, which
had the gum growing into it, affording some temporary protection.
He showed me that when he barely touched it, she winced,
indicating that it did pain her.

On next Monday morning we set up to take her in for 1) a cleaning,
2)x-rays, like to see if there were others
3)extracting this big, sharp,long back tooth)
He indicated major surgery to remove this tooth,
because it has 3 roots, and he would have to go in,
take crown off, and extract each root, then clean out the jaw bone.
4) And there may be others too, which he'll do at the same time, if
necessary.
So she will be under anesthetic for some time...I'm so worried!

In the meantime I have a 200mg antibiotic pill to give her twice
daily.It is just barely short of half an inch in diameter.
Powdering it isn't working, not even in her favorite foods.

Anyone have experience with extractions due to 'enamel erosion'?
He said about half the cats get it.

TIA for sny experience and information you all may offer.
(I also posted to health+behavior)
Purrs also accepted, especially on Monday Morning.

Sylvia

Old August 14th 04, 03:54 PM
Miss Violette

I have no experience with this but violette will be getting her teeth
cleaned at the same time as the growth removed, I am very concerned about
the "going under" as the human doctor almost did me in with it once, I am
sure these guys are already praying for you and Dyna, soft, who so
understands your concern

Old August 14th 04, 04:43 PM
Dan M

Anyone have experience with extractions due to 'enamel erosion'?
He said about half the cats get it.

TIA for sny experience and information you all may offer.
(I also posted to health+behavior)
Purrs also accepted, especially on Monday Morning.

Sylvia

No experience with that. Only dental problem we've had is that Cleo
tends to build up massive tartar deposits.

We'll be purring up a storm, especially on Monday AM!

Dan
Old August 14th 04, 05:03 PM
Sylvia M.

The only important info I found so far,, is that a product called "Iso"
really Isoflurane, a gas, is the superior anesthetic...they don't come out
as groggy for a day, and it can be stopped as needed...it is more expensive
because they can't re-use the 'tank?' even though not emptied. I'm gonna
ask for it...
Sylvia

Old August 14th 04, 05:58 PM
Mlle. Anaïs

Dyna, yoo poor dear!

I'ze so sorry to heer dis nooz! I'zl be purrink fur you, and asked da
hooman sekretary to email Anti Sylvia bout dis!
--

Purrs,
Mlle. Anaïs

anais+at+electric-ink+dot+com

Old August 15th 04, 05:15 AM
Dan M

Sylvia M. wrote:

The only important info I found so far,, is that a product called "Iso"
really Isoflurane, a gas, is the superior anesthetic...they don't come out
as groggy for a day, and it can be stopped as needed...it is more expensive
because they can't re-use the 'tank?' even though not emptied. I'm gonna
ask for it...
Sylvia

Excellent choice! That's one of the things I always ask. If a vet I'm
working with ever tells me he plans to use ketamine, I'll take my cat
out and never see that vet again.

From what I've read, isoflurane is definitely the way to go.

Dan

Old August 15th 04, 04:14 PM
Sylvia M.

Links...that reminded me to so a medical"teeth' search, and a cat
'teeth'.health,
search, oh ans I have the SPCA cat book and Eummies.. and a couple
more...duh!
Ill post if I find anything much
Sylvia

Oh, and purrs in advance for Violette, I'll be on vacation starting Aug 31.
Sylvia
"Miss Violette" wrote in message
I read a bunch about it on"rpc beh' Phil over there should have some good
links if nothing else. I am almost freaked at the whole process, Miss
Violette goes September 1 herself, soft

Old August 15th 04, 05:15 PM
Miss Violette

I was thinking, Miss Violette and OEJ are missing both front teeth in the
middle in the bottom, TV is missing one of these, the vet says this is
genetic, I am sure they were there at one time and have fallen out. Vet
says it is not a problem and that the one genetic area that nature has not
done well with is their teeth, soft, remembering this conversation from a
while back

Old August 15th 04, 06:14 PM
Ray or Fran

Sorry Sylvia, I don't have any advice. So far (knocking on wood), only
Puddi has even had to have her teeth cleaned (twice in 12 years). Punkins
(also 12)teeth are pristine. Lots of positive thoughts through the ether
for Dyna and of course for your nerves.

Fran and the purring girls

--
Remove "spam" from addy to reply