OT Scary as all heck

Old September 24th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default OT Scary as all heck

For those who love the cellphone. And no wonder our kids are turning stupid

http://www.dailymotion.com:80/releva...e-microon_news

Old September 24th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I am hearing about spelling skills dropping in the world. DAH, with
texting, why wouldn't they?
g.com...

Old September 24th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Caroline S.

On Sep 24, 11:29*am, "Matthew"
wrote:
For those who love the cellphone. *And no wonder our kids are turning stupid

http://www.dailymotion.com:80/releva.../video/x5odhh_...

It's a hoax, it's a viral marketing video. Google "cell phone popcorn
hoax" (without quotes).

Or see: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tec...ne.popcorn.cnn

-Caroline S.
Old September 24th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Matthew wrote:
For those who love the cellphone. And no wonder our kids are turning stupid

http://www.dailymotion.com:80/releva...e-microon_news

Fake video to sell bluetooth headsets:

http://www.snopes.com/science/cookegg.asp

Yowie
Old September 24th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Caroline S." wrote in message
On Sep 24, 11:29 am, "Matthew"
wrote:
For those who love the cellphone. And no wonder our kids are turning
stupid

http://www.dailymotion.com:80/releva.../video/x5odhh_...

It's a hoax, it's a viral marketing video. Google "cell phone popcorn
hoax" (without quotes).

Or see:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tec...ne.popcorn.cnn

-Caroline S.

I know it is a hoax but it scary as all heck if it was true. It is a
way to scare you kids ;-)

Old September 24th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article m,
"Matthew" wrote:

For those who love the cellphone. And no wonder our kids are turning stupid

http://www.dailymotion.com:80/releva...odhh_pop-corn-
telephone-portable-microon_news

Started off as a joke, was explained as same by perpetrators - including
the way they managed to do it. I understand it may have been taken over
by somebody or other as a marketing tool.

Baird

--
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and in a divided country
that's enough to win elections. -Bill Steele
Old September 24th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Baird Stafford wrote:

In article m,
"Matthew" wrote:

For those who love the cellphone. And no wonder our kids are turning stupid

http://www.dailymotion.com:80/releva...ortable/video/
x5odhh_pop-corn-telephone-portable-microon_news

Started off as a joke, was explained as same by perpetrators - including
the way they managed to do it. I understand it may have been taken over
by somebody or other as a marketing tool.

A marketing tool to sell *what*, exactly?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old September 25th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobblespin

wrote in
:

Baird Stafford wrote:

In article m,
"Matthew" wrote:

For those who love the cellphone. And no wonder our kids are
turning stupid

http://www.dailymotion.com:80/releva...ortable/video/
x5odhh_pop-corn-telephone-portable-microon_news

Started off as a joke, was explained as same by perpetrators -
including the way they managed to do it. I understand it may have
been taken over by somebody or other as a marketing tool.

A marketing tool to sell *what*, exactly?

Bluetooth.
Old September 25th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Granby wrote:
I am hearing about spelling skills dropping in the world. DAH, with
texting, why wouldn't they?

One reason for some of the spelling oddities in English is that people
in the middle ages were only semi-literate (if they were literate at
all) so there was no standardized spelling until the late eighteenth,
early nineteenth century. Apparently the same problem has resurrected
in the 21st Century, for similar reasons.

"Duct tape" - so called because its original purpose was for sealing
joints in air-conditioning ducts (hence its silvery color) - proved so
useful for a variety of tasks that many people use it with no idea of
its origin. Naturally, given the sloppy enunciation of many regions in
the U.S., a lot of people pronounce the word without the final "t",
changing it into "duck tape" (even though that name makes no sense).
Apparently some manufacturers of the stuff have given up trying the keep
the correct label - the other day I saw rolls of the stuff at Wal-Mart
actually LABELED "Duck Tape" on the package!
Old September 25th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message m...

Granby wrote:
I am hearing about spelling skills dropping in the world. DAH,
with texting, why wouldn't they?

One reason for some of the spelling oddities in English is that
people in the middle ages were only semi-literate (if they were
literate at all) so there was no standardized spelling until the
late eighteenth, early nineteenth century. Apparently the same
problem has resurrected in the 21st Century, for similar reasons.

As well anyone who has done any work on genealogy knows. I've done
well in tracing my paternal grandfather's family (Manuel, from
Newfoundland) and my paternal grandmother (Percy, from Scotland) No
luck at all with my maternal grandfather (Sindy, West Virginia)

I have my maternal grandmother's fathers bible. He was born in 1826
in Virginia, later to become Moorefield West Virginia. Three people
recorded the births of his children. I'm guessing his three wives.
And each of them spelled their family last name differently. The
earliest was Sutherlin, then Sutherley, and last Southerly. If one
family can't agree on how their own name is spelled on a single page,
there is no hope for the rest of the language.

Jo