Long-time chronic diarrhea problem...

Old October 2nd 03, 03:18 AM
PawsForThought

From: "Cheryl"

GAUBSTER2 composed with style:
Thanks, Lauren. I wasn't going to bother responding to that
obvious troll attempt.

Anybody that doesn't agree w/ you is a troll? That's nice.

Again with the reading comprehension problems. Well at least
you're consistent. I said a "troll attempt". ie Troll bait.
Troll(v) as in "elicit an emotional response". Do you need me to
spell it out more for you?

The attempt would come from a troll, no? Otherwise it wouldn't be
a troll attempt? You're parsing words.

lmao! You even have an argument for that! You *are* a piece of work.
An attempt to elicit an emotional response, ie troll(v) (-- the v
means it's a verb, ok?) in Usenet speak doesn't mean I called the
poster a troll. Geez are you this stupid in real life? nm, don't
bother to answer because you've finally hit useless status and I'm
going to try hard[1] to ignore your silly ass. Wait, you hit useless
status while ago but I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

[1] I still reserve the right to publically laugh at you.

and he is laughable, that's for sure. He has to be one of the most dense
people I have ever come across on usenet. If it weren't for the entertainment
factor, I would totally plonk him and be done with it.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old October 2nd 03, 03:18 AM
PawsForThought

Old October 2nd 03, 03:18 AM
PawsForThought

Old October 2nd 03, 04:20 AM
GAUBSTER2

[1] I still reserve the right to publically laugh at you.

....how "adult" of you.

Again with the reading comprehension problems. Well at least
you're consistent. I said a "troll attempt". ie Troll bait.
Troll(v) as in "elicit an emotional response". Do you need me to
spell it out more for you?

The attempt would come from a troll, no? Otherwise it wouldn't be
a troll attempt? You're parsing words.

lmao! You even have an argument for that! You *are* a piece of work.
An attempt to elicit an emotional response, ie troll(v) (-- the v
means it's a verb, ok?)

....seems to me like you are trolling right now! I'm not as emotional as you
however.

Old October 2nd 03, 05:51 AM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 04:42:54 GMT, "Philip ®"
wrote:

Might the dry food you purchase be close to it's expiration date,
often? Also, once you cut open the bag, the contents will start to
spoil by the time you get to the bottom of the bag say .... 10 days
later.

I always keep my dry kibble (Iams) on the bottom shelf of the
refrigerator. People seem surprised at this. I think it helps
preserve it. Even my Vet said she would never have thought of it, but
then said "why not? it's food". MLB

Old March 26th 10, 03:18 AM
Sheryl Sheryl is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Been really struggling with this one. I know this is a long post, but I
thought it would be good to be thorough and provide all the details.

It started over 4 months ago when my 3 year old male (nuetered) had a
urinary problem, and a prescription diet (Science Diet WD) was started to
treat it. I introduced the diet gradually over about a week, but he got
diarrhea from the new food. I let him go on this diet (probably for too
long), maybe 3 weeks or so (he was using the crawl space under house instead
of his box so I didn't monitor him). I then gradually switched him back to
his regular food which had previously never gave him the runs. This did
nothing to help (I had him on the regular food about 3 weeks).

So I took him to the vet:

Vet visit 1
=========
fecal worm check (negative)
fecal cytology (negative)
fecal direct-protozoa exam (negative)
and put on Metronidazole

No improvement in condition

Vet phone consultation
================
Put him on Science Diet ID to help with diarrhea problem and to continue to
address urinary problem.
Another round of Metronidazole
Sulfasalazine pills were now introduced

No improvement in condition

Vet visit 2
========
fecal direct-protozoa exam (negative)
fecal cytology (negative)
Yet nother round of Metronidazole
and another round of Sulfasalazine
Switched to special diet IVD duck and green peas (yes, duck and peas
predominantly. The thought is to put him on a very different diet, assuming
the problem is a food alergy). No gradual introduction here because he has
diarrhea anyway.

No improvement in condition

Vet phone consultation
================
Cat hated the duck so switched him to IVD rabbit and peas and he eats this.

After a few weeks on rabbit and peas dry food, there was a period of a week
or 2 where there was some occasional signs of hardening of feces. This
period of improvement proved temporary. Now it's back to pretty much cow pie
or slightly thicker (nothing well formed).

I also tried giving him some yoghurt, but I have to give him a very small
quantity (like 1/2 teaspoon or less) or he'll puke (he's very sensitive to
most anything other than his regular diet). Yoghurt didn't seem to help, but
I only did this for about a week and a half. I never feed him treats or
anything other than his regular food.

I was starting to get encouraged when he was showing signs of improvement,
but the improvement kind of stopped. I hate giving him all those pills (he's
been off them for a good while now), they did nothing, and now the vet wants
to explore more serious things like a disease of the intestines, or cancer,
but I really doubt these things as his attitude is normal (plays, is happy,
and has normal energy, drinks plenty of watr, though he's not happy about
his sore butt from the diarrhea). These tests the vet wants to do are also
very expensive and surgery is necessary for one of them (big bucks there).

This whole thing started with the diet change. Diarrhea was never a problem
before the diet change. Maybe it's a food alergy, I don't know.

In other threads, someone had mentioned a cooked rice diet, another
mentioned acidophilus in powder form. I really need to do something, and I'd
like to try something before going back to the vet. My gut feeling is that
there is nothing seriously wrong like a disease or cancer.

Anyone have any ideas?

(if you read this whole thing, thank you very much!)
-- Hank
Hi Hank,

I read the whole thing, and it sounds like my Sphynx has the same problem and has done the same test & meds. Did you find a solution in helping your Sphynx cat?

My adult female Sphynx cat has had diarrhea for 2plus years now. Has been constantly to the vet and three times prescribed medicines that are not working... She has been on on Prednisolone & Tylan Powder Dispensed for 3 weeks now. I do not want to give her any more medicine!! The medicine makes her stools even more watery. She also has blood in her stools & strains when going to the bathroom. I have given her some canned pumpkin which in the past has helped but now it is not helping. She now does not like to eat the pumpkin so I have to mix it with her dry food.

For the past 9 months she has been eating Hills Prescription Diet WD Dry cat food & when on medication she takes her medication with canned Iams Intestinal Low-Residue. I am wondering if I should try a raw diet for her? I've read so much about the horrible ingredients in cat food products that are not good for their digestive systems.