Removing caked-on clumping litter from paws?

Old March 6th 07, 07:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Robotech_Master

Default Removing caked-on clumping litter from paws?

My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
lot as her hair gets pulled.

Is there any good way of doing this?

Also, on an unrelated subject: http://xkcd.com/c231.html

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
Old March 6th 07, 10:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Can you put her paw under the faucet?

Old March 6th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 6 Mar, 07:33, Robotech_Master wrote:
My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
lot as her hair gets pulled.

Is there any good way of doing this?

Also, on an unrelated subject:http://xkcd.com/c231.html

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW:http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

don't use clumping litter?

Old March 6th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"bookie" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 6 Mar, 07:33, Robotech_Master wrote:
My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
lot as her hair gets pulled.

Is there any good way of doing this?

Also, on an unrelated subject:http://xkcd.com/c231.html

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW:http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig
file!

don't use clumping litter?

Probably a good idea at this point but doesn't get the caked on litter off
the paws. As others have said, running the paw under the faucet is probably
the quickest way to soften up the litter and wash it away.

Old March 6th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 6 Mar, 12:59, "Wendy" wrote:
"bookie" wrote in message

ups.com...

On 6 Mar, 07:33, Robotech_Master wrote:
My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
lot as her hair gets pulled.

Is there any good way of doing this?

Also, on an unrelated subject:http://xkcd.com/c231.html

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW:http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig
file!

don't use clumping litter?

Probably a good idea at this point but doesn't get the caked on litter off
the paws. As others have said, running the paw under the faucet is probably
the quickest way to soften up the litter and wash it away.

W- Hide quoted text -

baby wipes are excellent for this purpose, I assure you!
S;o)

Old March 6th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Put warm water in a paper cup and put the paw into the cup to soak it.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old March 6th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 06 Mar 2007 07:33:39 GMT, Robotech_Master
wrote:

My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
lot as her hair gets pulled.

Is there any good way of doing this?

It's time to stop using clumping litter. Remove what is already on her
paws using the suggestions that have been posted, but stop using it right
away. Your senior cat will likely ingest it when she tries to clean her
paws and this can cause impaction.

--
Lynne
Old March 7th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
svu geek

wrote:

My geriatric kitty sometimes steps *in* her used litter instead of
kicking dirt on it. And a good bit of it is clumped between her paw
pads, but I can't really get it out of there without my cat yowling a
lot as her hair gets pulled.

Is there any good way of doing this?

It's time to stop using clumping litter. Remove what is already on her
paws using the suggestions that have been posted, but stop using it right
away. Your senior cat will likely ingest it when she tries to clean her
paws and this can cause impaction.

How exactly does impaction happen and what would happen to the cat? I
ask because one of my cat's also gets clumping litter stuck to her
paws. I never even thought about her ingesting it. If you could give
me some information on this I'd really appreciate it.

Old March 7th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 07 Mar 2007 05:52:30 GMT, "svu geek" wrote:

How exactly does impaction happen and what would happen to the cat? I
ask because one of my cat's also gets clumping litter stuck to her
paws. I never even thought about her ingesting it. If you could give
me some information on this I'd really appreciate it.

When stuff gets stuck in a cats intestinal tract, it can lead to impaction
or blockage. If this happens, it is a medical emergency, often requiring
surgery. Symptoms/signs can include vomiting, lethargy, lack of appetite,
fever and/or lack of bowel movements.

Clumping litter is not recommended for kittens because they will often eat
it, with tragic results. If a senior (or any cat) is ingesting it for any
reason, it's safest to just stop using it.

--
Lynne