I am such an IDIOT!!!

Old September 22nd 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

Default I am such an IDIOT!!!

I hadn't seen Abelard for a while and figured he had found a new secret
sleeping spot. Then a few minutes ago, I happened to open a closet that I
rarely use, and there he was, sitting on a box, looking up at me, as if to
say "Hi, Mom!" No complaints, he didn't run out of there, he just waited for
me to pick him up, which of course I immediately did, and carried him to
"his" bathroom for a can of food and a toilet, all the while apologizing
profusely to the poor little guy, who had been locked up for Bast-only-knows
how long!!!!

I know that closet had been open until I closed it this morning, BUT the
closet is in a room that I keep closed most of the time. Today I opened the
room to do some cleaning, and it was open for a while yesterday, but it was
closed off all night last night. So Aby could have been in there as long as
24 hours.

Old September 22nd 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:55:49 -0500, Pat wrote:

I hadn't seen Abelard for a while and figured he had found a new secret
sleeping spot. Then a few minutes ago, I happened to open a closet that
I rarely use, and there he was, sitting on a box, looking up at me, as
if to say "Hi, Mom!" No complaints, he didn't run out of there, he just
waited for me to pick him up, which of course I immediately did, and
carried him to "his" bathroom for a can of food and a toilet, all the
while apologizing profusely to the poor little guy, who had been locked
up for Bast-only-knows how long!!!!

I know that closet had been open until I closed it this morning, BUT the
closet is in a room that I keep closed most of the time. Today I opened
the room to do some cleaning, and it was open for a while yesterday, but
it was closed off all night last night. So Aby could have been in there
as long as 24 hours.

Don't feel too bad about it. Cats are notorious for sneaking into
temporarily-opened closets. It happens more than once to every catslave.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old September 22nd 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Pat" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Jake would just think of that as a particularly good nap.

Jo

Old September 22nd 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it has happened to me several times. One time could have been
disastrous, but we were lucky. I accidentally shut Skeeter (rb) in my
bedroom closet when I went away for several days. The neighbors were coming
over to feed my cats, but he often made himself scarce, so they probably
wouldn't have thought anything of it if they hadn't seen him.

Luckily for Skeeter, and for me, my kids decided to surprise me by painting
my bathroom while I was away. They came over a little over 24 hours after I
had left. My sil heard Skeeter and opened the closet. He made a beeline
for the cat door. He wasn't even interested in food until he had emptied
his bladder. He hadn't done a thing in the closet!

Now when I go on a trip, I leave the closet open a few inches. Well, I did
until my last trip. Now there's just Lindy, and she needs thyroid medicine
twice a day, so my son keeps her. But if and when I get another cat, I'll
do the same thing.

Joy

Old September 22nd 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sandy

Both of mine have been accidentally shut in the main bathroom for a day.
The time it happened to Sundance, he pushed the wastebasket over to use it
as a litter box!

Sandy

et...

Old September 22nd 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sandy wrote:

Both of mine have been accidentally shut in the main bathroom for a day.
The time it happened to Sundance, he pushed the wastebasket over to use it
as a litter box!

Wow, what a smart kitty!

Pat, I have also accidentally shut cats into closets. It's kind of hard to
avoid doing this when they like to sneak off and hide in places you wouldn't
expect them to be, and they're so quiet about it.

Over the years I've gotten into the habit of getting a head count before
leaving for work, so I know that nobody's stuck anywhere. But I'm sure
that's a lot easier for me to do than for you.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old September 22nd 08, 10:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Pat wrote:
I hadn't seen Abelard for a while and figured he had found a new
secret sleeping spot. Then a few minutes ago, I happened to open a
closet that I rarely use, and there he was, sitting on a box, looking
up at me, as if to say "Hi, Mom!" No complaints, he didn't run out of
there, he just waited for me to pick him up, which of course I
immediately did, and carried him to "his" bathroom for a can of food
and a toilet, all the while apologizing profusely to the poor little
guy, who had been locked up for Bast-only-knows how long!!!!

I know that closet had been open until I closed it this morning, BUT
the closet is in a room that I keep closed most of the time. Today I
opened the room to do some cleaning, and it was open for a while
yesterday, but it was closed off all night last night. So Aby could
have been in there as long as 24 hours.

Sounds like a BCT to me. ;-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old September 22nd 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobblespin

"Pat" wrote in
et:

I hadn't seen Abelard for a while and figured he had found a new
secret sleeping spot. Then a few minutes ago, I happened to open a
closet that I rarely use, and there he was, sitting on a box, looking
up at me, as if to say "Hi, Mom!" No complaints, he didn't run out of
there, he just waited for me to pick him up, which of course I
immediately did, and carried him to "his" bathroom for a can of food
and a toilet, all the while apologizing profusely to the poor little
guy, who had been locked up for Bast-only-knows how long!!!!

I know that closet had been open until I closed it this morning, BUT
the closet is in a room that I keep closed most of the time. Today I
opened the room to do some cleaning, and it was open for a while
yesterday, but it was closed off all night last night. So Aby could
have been in there as long as 24 hours.

One of our previous cats once got himself shut between the front door
and the screen door. Luckily we used to do a heat count (3) before bed,
and he was missing. It sure took a long time for us to find him that
time. They're so fast sometimes.

Bobble

Old September 22nd 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Sep 21, 5:55*pm, "Pat" wrote:
So Aby could have been in there as long as
24 hours.

There isn't anyone here who hasn't shut a cat in a closet...admittedly
Sarsi and Dunzi appear to have solved the problem themselves with the
wardrobe if I shut the door they open it! I have finally given up and
leave it slightly ajar so they can come and go as they wish but Dunzi
is a demon for slipping past me and getting out onto the stairs in
the building. Especially if it is dark because she's black, small and
agile. Only a couple of months ago I came in about midnight went to
bed and the next morning I got up, got ready for work, fed the cats
and said to Dave that Dunzi was nowhere to be seen but then again she
doesn't always get up for breakfast (Sarsi treats every meal like it
might be her last- Dunzi's more laid back about it- she'll stroll
along later if she is too busy at this moment contemplating
infinity..) so I said "She's around somewhere" opened the front door
and she trotted in! She must have been about about 7 hours or so! And
I am sure everyone here will recall the time she got on the
scaffolding (I don't like to think of it....even now it makes me
shake!)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old September 22nd 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

bobblespin wrote:
"Pat" wrote in
et:

[...]

When my Siamese was alive, she slipped out onto the front patio without being seen. The next morning, I oprnrf the sliding door and she cam in complaining loudly abouit being shut out all night. She spent the rest of the day telling me how I neglected her "It was dark out there and I was so alone -- I thought you would never c