How can they ship 40 pounds of litter for $16?

Old March 6th 15, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Default How can they ship 40 pounds of litter for $16?

Looking a gift horse in the mouth, I asked how they can afford to ship
40 pounds of litter for $16. This is Chewy's response, probably not
meant to explain anything.

"FedEx works just as hard as we do to make sure all of our Chewy family
members are happy with their orders. The specific costs just come down
to the contract we have with FedEx."

I wasn't asking about their shipper. I guess it will remain a mystery.
Amazon shipped very heavy litter for free, for a while, but then they
stopped. Walmart does too, but... The time I ordered from Walmart they
weren't even put in a box. After of course being banged around during
shipment, the top of the litter packages were clumsily taped up,
probably by UPS.

One reason I asked is because FedEx just sent Chewy a delivery exception
saying one of the 40 pound litter shipments was destroyed in transit.
There is no way they are making a profit on that.
Old March 6th 15, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sylvia M[_3_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

My 4.4 pound bag came in a cardboard box, buffered by LOTS of brown
wrapping paper crumpled to protect it very well. I was pleased, however,
Pit2nya won't accept it and munch it as a treat yet...I might have to mix
it with other kibble.

Sylvia