Chronic cold - please advise

Old October 28th 04, 12:33 PM
Tekunda1

Default Chronic cold - please advise

My cat has an immune disorder disease and is suffering from a constant cold,
with snot running out of his nose all the time. Although the cat (1 year) has
been having this problem since birth, the little guy is extremely lively and
playful.
I know there is no cure, since the underlying disease is the weak immune
system.
But I just would like to learn if there is anything I can do for my cat to
support his immune system, so that he can fight his cold better. I am giving
him like 4 steam inhaltions with camomille per week: I put him in a carrrier,
put a kettle of steaming water where I put in the camomille outside the cage
and put a huge blanket around the kettle and carrier. Actully my cat seems to
enjoy this procedure and his symptoms have eased. But if there is anything
besides this I can do to make life (in regards to his cold symptoms) easier for
him, please let me know.
Old October 28th 04, 03:38 PM
Mary

"Tekunda1" wrote in message
My cat has an immune disorder disease and is suffering from a constant

cold,
with snot running out of his nose all the time.

You have not mentioned taking him to the vet, why is that? There is no cure
for a cold but your cat has worse than that. He needs to see the vet. The
vet might have you use sudafed (he has to give you the dosage, you can't
figure it out yourself, it could be dangerous) or L-lysine if the symptoms
are herpes related. Your cat might have allergies that cause the congestion
and facilitate the respiratory infectiosn, and a shot a couple of times a
year could be all he needs. Please take your cat in. There are times when
the things we can do are not enough.

Old October 28th 04, 05:32 PM
Mary

My cat has an immune disorder disease and is suffering from a constant cold,
with snot running out of his nose all the time.

I have a midget skunk wtih the same problem. I give him baby decongestants. My
vet prescribed them. They're over the counter.

As your cats problem is immune related, how about some immune boosters such as
interferon and immunoglobulin? I used this with my FLV+ kitty. There are also
herbal and homeopathic immune boosters you could try. Keeping her stress free
and giving good food is always a good idea as well. Good luck.

Old October 28th 04, 08:14 PM
Dragon

(Tekunda1) wrote in message ...
[...]

Homeopathics can work well in situations like this. Homeopet has a
website and a remedy called "nose relief" that works great for my
kitty who has bouts of sinusitus now and then. There is also a remedy
called F3 for colds and flu that did wonders the few times my Burmese
had a bad enough cold that he had snot blocking his airway--always
cleared up the problem in under three days. I don't know where you
could get some of that, but perhaps you have a naturopathic vet around
who could help you out.

To be frank, I wouldn't advise going the antihistimine or decongestant
route. These kinds of medicines do nothing but treat the symptoms,
and cannot help whatever underlying issue may be causing the problem.
They're not good for people to use, so I can't imagine why they'd be
good for cats either. In any event, good luck!

dragon