Stitches Out Today!

Old March 24th 05, 04:49 PM
CatNipped

Default Stitches Out Today!

Bandit is going back to the vet today at 5:30 to get her stitches taken out
(wish me luck holding her down and *away* from the vet during that!!!). She
seems much better, but still acting a little depressed - I don't know
whether that's from the sorry condition she looks (this is a *very* prideful
cat and having a "buzz cut" and scars over 30% of her body is very
demoralizing to her), or because she's still in pain and no longer being
given the pain meds, or because she's coming down off of the painkillers
that she's been on for 2 solid weeks (maybe a bit of withdrawal???).

I'll take pictures of all her wounds when I get her home this afternoon so
you can see how they're healing (the one on her belly has almost
disappeared!!!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 24th 05, 04:50 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Bandit is going back to the vet today at 5:30 to get her stitches taken

out
(wish me luck holding her down and *away* from the vet during that!!!).

She
seems much better, but still acting a little depressed - I don't know
whether that's from the sorry condition she looks (this is a *very*

prideful
cat and having a "buzz cut" and scars over 30% of her body is very
demoralizing to her), or because she's still in pain and no longer being
given the pain meds, or because she's coming down off of the painkillers
that she's been on for 2 solid weeks (maybe a bit of withdrawal???).

I'll take pictures of all her wounds when I get her home this afternoon so
you can see how they're healing (the one on her belly has almost
disappeared!!!).

All wonderful, looking forward to seeing the healing
pics!

Old March 24th 05, 09:37 PM
Phil P.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Bandit is going back to the vet today at 5:30 to get her stitches taken

out
(wish me luck holding her down and *away* from the vet during that!!!).

She
seems much better, but still acting a little depressed - I don't know
whether that's from the sorry condition she looks (this is a *very*

prideful
cat and having a "buzz cut" and scars over 30% of her body is very
demoralizing to her), or because she's still in pain and no longer being
given the pain meds, or because she's coming down off of the painkillers
that she's been on for 2 solid weeks (maybe a bit of withdrawal???).

I'll take pictures of all her wounds when I get her home this afternoon so
you can see how they're healing (the one on her belly has almost
disappeared!!!).

I'm happy Bandit is recovering well.

I'm sorry I haven't commented, but I just don't believe your vet. I don't
understand how heated bags could have been hot enough to cause third degree
burns yet not injure the person placing them on Bandit. Even if the person
wore gloves or used tongs - s/he still would have felt the heat. And then
she missed the second burn! The vet's story just doesn't ring true.

I hope she continues to recover uneventfully.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old March 24th 05, 09:56 PM
.oO rach Oo.

YAY Bandit!!!

Let us know how the little angel is.

--
..oO rach Oo.

Old March 24th 05, 10:24 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Phil P." wrote in message

I'm happy Bandit is recovering well.

I'm sorry I haven't commented, but I just don't believe your vet. I don't
understand how heated bags could have been hot enough to cause third

degree
burns yet not injure the person placing them on Bandit. Even if the

person
wore gloves or used tongs - s/he still would have felt the heat. And

then
she missed the second burn! The vet's story just doesn't ring true.

I hope she continues to recover uneventfully.

Best of luck,

Phil

From what I've read, these bags had rice in them and were heated in the
microwave. If you've ever used a microwave, you know that parts of what
you're heating can get very hot while other parts stay cool. Doesn't food
continue to cook for a bit even after the microwave is turned off? That's
why food packages recommend stirring what you're cooking, and letting it sit
for a couple of minutes before eating the food so the heat can even out.
Seems like if people followed the same instructions for these bags, the
burns wouldn't have happened. They probably just heated the bag up and put
it on the cat.

--
Liz

Old March 25th 05, 12:02 AM
Joe Canuck

Elizabeth Blake wrote:

"Phil P." wrote in message

I'm happy Bandit is recovering well.

I'm sorry I haven't commented, but I just don't believe your vet. I don't
understand how heated bags could have been hot enough to cause third

degree

burns yet not injure the person placing them on Bandit. Even if the

person

wore gloves or used tongs - s/he still would have felt the heat. And

then

she missed the second burn! The vet's story just doesn't ring true.

I hope she continues to recover uneventfully.

Best of luck,

Phil

From what I've read, these bags had rice in them and were heated in the
microwave. If you've ever used a microwave, you know that parts of what
you're heating can get very hot while other parts stay cool. Doesn't food
continue to cook for a bit even after the microwave is turned off? That's
why food packages recommend stirring what you're cooking, and letting it sit
for a couple of minutes before eating the food so the heat can even out.
Seems like if people followed the same instructions for these bags, the
burns wouldn't have happened. They probably just heated the bag up and put
it on the cat.

--
Liz

Either way, staff at that clinic should be aware of that and compensate
accordingly.

I too, have a difficult time with an animal coming back from the vet
more injured that it was before going in.

If it was me, I'd drop the vet and clinic in a heartbeat without giving
it a second though.

I have my own bad experience, not with a vet but with an outfit that
keeps pets in their facility if one has to be away. I took my cat there,
a very gentle and sweet Ragdoll, in her rather small carry cage. This
cage is just meant for very short transport situations, she can barely
stand up in it. I discovered this place left my cat inside the carry
cage for the duration of my trip.

When I came back the blanket at the bottom of the cage was soaked in
urine, there were stools at the back that she tried to cover up, she
could barely walk.

I was furious. Would I go back? Hell no!
Old March 25th 05, 12:57 AM
CatNipped

"Phil P." wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Well, this vet is not the only one it happened to. This link Elizabeth
posted shows a burn very similar to Bandit's from a similar rice filled,
"organic" heating bag.

http://www.vasg.org/supplemental_heat.htm

So I tend to believe her. My understanding is that heat conduction is
variable within these "organic" heating devices - they keep heating up even
after they're removed from the microwave, so the heat builds up - and it
builds up in some spots more than others.

The vet has discarded the devices, and all her subsequent treatment of
Bandit has been impeccable and caring. If every doctor or vet who ever made
a mistake (or in this case employed a vet tech who made a mistake) were not
used again, there wouldn't be any doctors or any vets left in practice.

Unlike Joe's experience, this wasn't done deliberately, and everything in
their power was done to make it right. I think she deserves a second
chance.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 25th 05, 02:30 AM
Phil P.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Of course it has. She fully realizes she's treading on very thin ice and
can't afford another accident. Ever notice how carefully people drive after
a near miss or seeing an accident and then go back to their normal driving
habits a few hours or days later.

If every doctor or vet who ever made
a mistake (or in this case employed a vet tech who made a mistake) were

not
used again, there wouldn't be any doctors or any vets left in practice.

I think this is much more serious than an innocent accident. I don't
understand how she could miss the second burn while treating the first
burn - it wasn't a simple burn - it was a third degree burn that required
surgery.

Unlike Joe's experience, this wasn't done deliberately, and everything in
their power was done to make it right. I think she deserves a second
chance.

I might have, although I doubt it, given her a second chance if not for
missing the second burn while treating the first burn. That means she
didn't even think to examine Bandit for other burns.

I guess I'm just not as forgiving when it comes to vets.

I'm just thankful Bandit is ok!

Phil

Old March 25th 05, 02:51 AM
CatNipped

"Phil P." wrote in message
.net...

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I don't understand how *I* missed the first burn until it was gangrenous.
Part of the reason is Bandit's extremely thick Maine Coon-like hair. Even
when you look closely it's hard to see skin under it. It was only after the
hair fell out that the burn became apparent. I was looking at her closely
and didn't see the second burn either - *OR* the third one.

I'm not a vet, but I'm not totally ignorant, I would have been at least as
qualified to determine there were other burn as the vet was - I'm was with
her 24 hours a day (I've taken off two weeks of work to take care of her -
the frist week half days when I only had to medicate, but the second week
full days when I was having to do the hydrotherapy every 4 hours). After I
found the second burn I was checking closely and constantly for any other
burns and I missed the third one. I'm glad the vet caught it when she did
the surgery for the second burn.

I guess I'm just not as forgiving when it comes to vets.

Believe it or not, neither am I - I forgive things done to *ME* before I
forgive things done to my babies. But I've been working with this vet
*very* closely since this happened (she has called me twice a day, every day
since it happened - every night from her home). This wasn't even the vet
who did the original dental, yet she still felt horrible about all this (and
not just because it might hurt her business - she hasn't come across like
that). I don't know, this is just a gut feeling I get from her from all the
interaction that I guess I'm not conveying well through these posts.

I'm just thankful Bandit is ok!

Thank you, Phil, I am too! Now I just need to get *my* Bandit-inflicted
wounds well!!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Phil

Old March 25th 05, 02:26 PM
CatNipped

".oO rach Oo." wrote in message
.. .
YAY Bandit!!!

Let us know how the little angel is.

Little angel my ass!!! Did you *SEE* my wounds??!!! There's a reason her
nickname is "Bitch Cat From Hell"!!! ;

LOL - the doctor called out Augmentin 500mg for me for the bites and
scratches (which is Clavamox - the same thing I had to shove down Bandit's
throat for over a week, so I guess she's getting her revenge in spades!!!)
;

Hugs,

CatNipped

.oO rach Oo.

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Bandit is going back to the vet today at 5:30 to get her stitches taken
out (wish me luck holding her down and *away* from the vet during
that!!!). She seems much better, but still acting a little depressed - I
don't know whether that's from the sorry condition she looks (this is a
*very* prideful cat and having a "buzz cut" and scars over 30% of her
body is very demoralizing to her), or because she's still in pain and no
longer being given the pain meds, or because she's coming down off of the
painkillers that she's been on for 2 solid weeks (maybe a bit of
withdrawal???).

I'll take pictures of all her wounds when I get her home this afternoon
so you can see how they're healing (the one on her belly has almost
disappeared!!!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Stitches Out Today! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 15 March 26th 05 11:55 AM
Extra Talkative Today jmcquown Cat anecdotes 7 February 11th 05 07:50 PM
Today is Duffy's adoption anniversary+birthday MaryL Cat anecdotes 19 February 2nd 05 07:43 PM
Today gracecat Cat anecdotes 52 October 13th 04 02:01 PM
Roxy is being a sweetheart today! Marina Cat anecdotes 1 December 22nd 03 02:30 PM