Question about neutering

Old July 2nd 05, 06:29 PM
juli t via CatKB.com

Default Question about neutering

Hello!

This may seem like a silly question (sorry!) but I can't seem to find the
answer anywhere.

I was given a cat half a year ago from a friend. I can only guess, but I
think he's about six. I was told that he was fixed, however, it occured to me
the other day that he might not be! So, my first question, is how do I tell?
It looks like he has all his 'parts'... also I've caught his a couple times
getting 'friendly' with a blanket... However, he doesn't really freak out
about going outside, no loud meowing, and he doesn't spray at all. He's not
at all aggressive..

My second question, would it be too late to get him fixed now? Is it a
dangerous operation if he's not a kitten? Is there an age where they stop
going out on the prowl? It's just strange to me because it seems like he's
not fixed, but the behavior he has is one of a neutered cat...

Yikes!

It'd be terrible if he wasn't fixed already. I feel really silly for not
noticing this sooner... oh my...

Thanks!
Old July 2nd 05, 07:46 PM
William Hamblen

On 2005-07-02, juli t via CatKB.com wrote:

I was given a cat half a year ago from a friend. I can only guess, but I
think he's about six. I was told that he was fixed, however, it occured to me
the other day that he might not be! So, my first question, is how do I tell?

You could get personal with the cat and look and feel for the testes.
It isn't hard to tell. You need to take the cat to the vet anyway to
be checked for worms and get immunized. Ask the vet to check.

It is not dangerous to castrate a cat at age 6.

--
e-Harmony.com called the cops after I sent in my personality profile.
Old July 2nd 05, 08:47 PM
PawsForThought

I was given a cat half a year ago from a friend. I can only guess, but I
think he's about six. I was told that he was fixed, however, it occured to me
the other day that he might not be! So, my first question, is how do I tell?
It looks like he has all his 'parts'... also I've caught his a couple times
getting 'friendly' with a blanket... However, he doesn't really freak out
about going outside, no loud meowing, and he doesn't spray at all. He's not
at all aggressive..

My second question, would it be too late to get him fixed now? Is it a
dangerous operation if he's not a kitten? Is there an age where they stop
going out on the prowl? It's just strange to me because it seems like he's
not fixed, but the behavior he has is one of a neutered cat...

Most likely he's been fixed, but you'll never really know for sure
until you take him to a vet. It would probably be a good idea anyway
to get a health check done. The vet can listen to his heart, check his
organs (including the one that is the subject , check his teeth, etc.
I get my cats a yearly full blood panel which can sometimes detect
things that can go unnoticed in a physical exam.

Lauren

Old July 2nd 05, 10:56 PM
KellyH

"juli t via CatKB.com" wrote in message
[...]

Does he have a big head? Like is it big and square, or does he have a
regular somewhat triangle-looking head? The reason I ask is that if he was
not neutered before sexual maturity, he would have a big "Tommy" head with
jowls.
Also, does his urine smell like normal cat pee, or does it absolutely stink
to high heaven? If it smells awful, he is not neutered. There is no
mistaking tom cat pee (one of the reasons I don't understand how people can
live with an unneutered male).
If you can do it, you can also, ahem, feel his sack. If it feels empty,
he's neutered. When the vet neuters a cat, they take the testes out but
leave the sack. To the untrained eye, it can still look like he has balls.
Or, you could have the vet check at his next appt.

I'm pretty sure your cat is neutered. You would notice the yowling, the
smell, etc if not.

-Kelly