Hi All, Need Some Advice [feral cat?]

Old March 26th 10, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Default Hi All, Need Some Advice [feral cat?]

"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote in message
"Bill Graham" writes:

"Max" wrote in message
OK... I have been here before, about a couple of years ago seeking
advice for a cat with urinary tract issues. His name is Max. I was
operating under the name "MC".

Max and Butterball are doing GREAT!

The one thing I have to credit this group for is that you all got me
to switch to canned cat food, which I have never regretted. For us, it
worked. It turned out that Max was in reality just really fussy about
his litter box (how full or not full it is) and also very sensitive to
any scents around the house. We have been able to work completely
around the issue of his doing his business in locations other than the
litterbox, and for that I am grateful to this group.

Now I have another question.

Recently there has been a stray living on our deck. Perhaps a feral
cat... seems very young - as in maybe less than six months old.

I FINALLY was able to live trap the cat after a week + of leaving the
live trap out with the cats food, little by little bringing the food
closer to the inside of the trap.

This morning... SWEET SUCCESS!!!!

But the cat is terrified. He has not moved from the same spot inside
his new cage all day. He crouches as if to hide behind the litter box.
He/she/it hissed and growled at me as I tried to get friendly with it.

My question is... What is the best way to acclimate the cat to us, if
in fact it turns out to be a feral cat? Does anyone have direct
experience with this? Shall I get a towel and wrap him/her up and let
it know that way that I am no harm to it? Or is it better to just sit
and spend time with the cat, especially when it is eating food?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Oh.....I forgot to mention....Get him neutered as soon as
possible.....This
will greatly accelerate the taming process....

I don't think a truly feral cat can ever be tame. But it can be trained to
be as little a nuisance as the poor thing can be, given it's upbringing.
Patience and love can go a long way.

Well you would be wrong my friend. I have taken and seen truly feral cats
that have never seen a human before let alone a house and feral cats that
had been hurt by humans become lap cats. It is all with the patience and
understanding of the human plus the cat's attitude so will never be some
will just like people

Old March 26th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Matthew" wrote
"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote

I don't think a truly feral cat can ever be tame. But it can be trained
be as little a nuisance as the poor thing can be, given it's upbringing.
Patience and love can go a long way.

Well you would be wrong my friend. I have taken and seen truly feral cats
that have never seen a human before let alone a house and feral cats that
had been hurt by humans become lap cats. It is all with the patience and
understanding of the human plus the cat's attitude so will never be some
will just like people

Exactly, depends on the cat and the new 'parents' as well as the acceptance
on both ends to work it out eventually.

My own experinence is if there is a match in personality going on, then just
patience is needed.

Old March 27th 10, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Bill Graham" writes:

"Max" wrote in message
[...]

Well most people keep indoor cats, and they "tame" ferals simply by trapping
them inside their houses and feeding them until they blend in with the other
cats they have. We have one that we had to tame the hard way, because we had
all outside cats and they all had cat doors front and back to escape
through. So, we just fed him and watered him and let him come in whenever he
wanted to until eventually, after about three years, he began to think he
was just like the others. He would first come in through the open door at
night while we were sleeping, and eat and explore the house. Then I closed
the sliding glass door one evening, trapping him inside the house and he had
to learn to use the cat door in order to escape. After that, he would come
and go as he choose, and today he is just as tame as the other four cats.
but I have to admit that it took a long time that way....It's much faster to
keep them locked inside and they will tame in a couple or three months.

Old March 27th 10, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote
"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote

I don't think a truly feral cat can ever be tame. But it can be trained
be as little a nuisance as the poor thing can be, given it's upbringing.
Patience and love can go a long way.

Well you would be wrong my friend. I have taken and seen truly feral
cats that have never seen a human before let alone a house and feral cats
that had been hurt by humans become lap cats. It is all with the
patience and understanding of the human plus the cat's attitude so will
never be some will just like people

Exactly, depends on the cat and the new 'parents' as well as the
acceptance on both ends to work it out eventually.

My own experinence is if there is a match in personality going on, then
just patience is needed.

Yes. I will never forget the time my wife went out on our back deck and
actually picked up Smokey, our feral visitor, and brought him inside the
house and put him on the bed. I thought for sure he would bite her and run,
but he put up with it, much to my amazement! She has a way with animals that
is hard to believe.....Today, he won't let her out of his sight, and sleeps
by her side every night.

Old March 28th 10, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rockinghorse Winner[_2_]

"Bill Graham" writes:

[...]

Well, you learn something new everyday, and I just learned something new.
Hope you and your feral are doing well.

Old March 29th 10, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Max[_2_]

On Mar 28, 1:44*am, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
"Bill Graham" writes:
[...]

Rocking Horse Winner, I love your user name. That was the name of a
story I read when I was much younger, and I have always loved it.

Thanks all for your kind advice. Kitty seems to be coming around, and
then again... I wish I could love and hold him already!

Cshenk, I do remember your name and think you are really awesome to
take in the cats you do. I am glad you have had the success you have
had with your babies. I very much appreciate your thoughts.

I know what you mean, it sounds kind of mean, to keep kitty in a cage
all the time, however, people who have much more experience with this
than I suggested I use a small cage so he gets used to the house and
is not able to hide. My own choice would be to provide a room, or even
the whole house for him and let him adjust at a slower pace, as Bill
Graham suggests. However, I understand that could take years... so in
the long run, it seems better to get him over it more quickly.

If I let him go in a room, or the house, I would never catch him
again. How would I get him moved from one cage to the room and back
again. You know what I mean? I would have no way of getting him back
in the cage. I doubt I would ever see him again. He is that spooky. He
would simply hide under a hidey spot and never come out when I was
around. I feel it would take many years to even catch site of him
again.

Now he takes an active interest in the other cats... and he even shows
interest in me, however, if I approach the cage a little too quickly,
even with treats and foods, he still hisses.

He is very close to taking food from my hand at this point. He hasn't
yet, but we are working at that. Once he is comfortable taking food
from my hand, after a little bit I will try to pet him.

Once I can comfortably pet him I think I will feel comfortable giving
him his own room, or even the house, should he get along OK with the
other cats in this house.

I think he shows a lot of promise, lots of personality. The
expressions on his face are so funny!

Thanks so much to all of you for your thoughts :-)

Old March 29th 10, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Max[_2_]

"Bill Graham" writes:
[...]

Cshenk... Kitty has been with us for about six weeks now.

The good news is that tonight he ate his food with me sitting there.
He would not eat from my hand, but I am going to especially work on
that this week. He ate his food and didn't appear troubled by my being
there. This was the first time I was able to watch him eat at such
close range.
Old March 29th 10, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Max" wrote
The good news is that tonight he ate his food with me sitting there.
He would not eat from my hand, but I am going to especially work on
that this week.

I wouldn't push that. Most cats don't like that. You are doing great right
now! Kudos to you.

Old March 30th 10, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Max" wrote

Thanks all for your kind advice. Kitty seems to be coming around, and
then again... I wish I could love and hold him already!

All cats are loveable ;-)

Cshenk, I do remember your name and think you are really awesome to
take in the cats you do. I am glad you have had the success you have
had with your babies. I very much appreciate your thoughts.

Glad to help! It's often hard for me to explain things right the first time
so don't be bashful if I seem to be confusing. I promise to do my best to
help and understand and will ask if i am not sure what you seem to be
saying.

I know what you mean, it sounds kind of mean, to keep kitty in a cage
all the time, however, people who have much more experience with this
than I suggested I use a small cage so he gets used to the house and
is not able to hide.

I have seen that and there are plusses and minus factors to it. I've not
done it myself, but I was already an experienced cat owner before I took on
my first feral and that was a kitten in a full body cast (long story, not
for just now as not related).

I think I was too experienced to use that method by the time I heard about
it. That doesn't make you bad. I see nothing to indicate you do not mean
the best for the new one and aren't taking care of them. Although i am not
'holistic' I think cats definately catch good vibes in intentions.

I do worry at 'small cage'. If he's in there more than a few hours, it
needs to be pretty big. Like, 3ftx2ft and 2ft tall minimum. Also the metal
grate type so they can see out all around on all 4 sides. Cat raising
instinct there. They like 'small dens' but not 'can't get out and roam'.

My own choice would be to provide a room, or even
the whole house for him and let him adjust at a slower pace, as Bill
Graham suggests. However, I understand that could take years... so in
the long run, it seems better to get him over it more quickly.

There are many personalities in cats. What Bill and I are talking about is
a bit different. See, if i tracked right he's talking 'tamed' which just
means doesn't scratch the heck out you and lets you feed them. My posts
(WOW etc) relate to the later stages of adaption by a clearly human abused
cat who was also a high-feral rate sort. She was 'tame' within 3 weeks with
us but sleeping with the dog within 3 nights of getting here (grin).

If I let him go in a room, or the house, I would never catch him
again. How would I get him moved from one cage to the room and back
again. You know what I mean? I would have no way of getting him back
in the cage. I doubt I would ever see him again. He is that spooky. He
would simply hide under a hidey spot and never come out when I was
around. I feel it would take many years to even catch site of him
again.

Smile, Daisy was 18 months in 6 foster homes over this. By the time she
unhid on them, they gave up a week later because she wasn't a lap kitty and
didnt associate with humans well. In reality, she just needed time, gentle
voices, and hidy holes in every room (and you let the cat *be* there without
trying to coax them out). Oh, memory spark, had to remind husband on that.
He wanted to sit there before Daisy's hidy hole and coo softly at her. I
had to remind him, she'd come out when *she* was ready and just let it
happen, next week, month or whatever. I reminded him of Vamp-kitty (a
previous feral I had when we married) and how he hid when Don first moved in
and how I had Don setup 'kitty blinds' with his fishing boxes for him to
hide in. Lightbulb lit. (It actually took 5 weeks for Vamp to jump Don's
tummy in the night and nuzzle down and after that, he became Don's cat.
Murpmfp).

Yes, you won't see the cat right away. You may not see them for a week or
more. *it's ok*.

Now he takes an active interest in the other cats... and he even shows
interest in me, however, if I approach the cage a little too quickly,
even with treats and foods, he still hisses.

Yes, small gentle moves. Voice is *critical*. Dont whisper, but use your
softer 'man voice'. Sorry, instinct again and not sure where I learned that.
Female voices tend to be more an issue than male ones. Something about
higher pitch sets them on edge a tad?

I've never tried this adaption with a cage. I've always picked a room last
used by the other cats and setup 'cat hidy holes' and let the new one free
in there (extra liter box there too). For 3 days or so, I sometimes put up
2 of those child gates that use a sort of tension rod to hold up (one above
another to make about a 6ft gate). That blocked lesser room let the new one
'establish terratory' in a spot the others didnt use. Gates down pretty
fast after that time.

He is very close to taking food from my hand at this point. He hasn't
yet, but we are working at that. Once he is comfortable taking food
from my hand, after a little bit I will try to pet him.

Umm, how many weeks now? I'll add I never worried if they would take food
from my hand. Pretty sure Daisy will. Now Cash-pup? I'd wanna count my
fingers after! At this stage, dropping a ew bits for her then standing back
is normal. He will smell it came from you and if he wants more, will come a
little closer then meow a little. *bring a few mre kibble but do not try to
pet yet*.

When the cat is ready for a pet, they will come brush up to you. Dont grab,
or try to pickup. Just let it happen at the cat's speed which will be
faster than if you try to speed it.

Once I can comfortably pet him I think I will feel comfortable giving
him his own room, or even the house, should he get along OK with the
other cats in this house.

I am sory, this method is so different from my own, I don't really know how
to work it. My instincts say you will not get able to pet him while he's
still in a cage. It's a mini terratory of all his own and no one is allowed
in which I think will get worse if allowed too long?

I think he shows a lot of promise, lots of personality. The
expressions on his face are so funny!

I think so too! I think all will be well also.

Old March 30th 10, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"cybercat" wrote
"Max" wrote

The good news is that tonight he ate his food with me sitting there.
He would not eat from my hand, but I am going to especially work on
that this week.

I wouldn't push that. Most cats don't like that. You are doing great right
now! Kudos to you.

Agreed. (Max, dogs eat out of your hand, cats do not normally and it's not
lack of accptance just that you have odd ones who do if so).