A Med For Tapeworms?

Old January 9th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
B Kat

Default A Med For Tapeworms?

Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like moving
pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
tapeworms.

Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.

Old January 9th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"B Kat" wrote in message
Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like moving
pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
tapeworms.

Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.

Go to a veterinarian. Over-the-counter meds are ineffective and are
sometimes dangerous. If you already have a regular vet, you may be able to
get the meds if you describe the situation and/or take a stool sample for
analysis. I always prefer to take my cats in when I have any questions, but
you have precisely described tapeworm.

MaryL

Old January 11th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"B Kat" wrote in message
Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like moving
pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
tapeworms.

Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.

Most OTC wormers are older drugs andnot as safe as the newer drugs you get
from the vet. The few bucks you'll save isn't worth the risk.

Old January 15th 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike S.

Phil P. wrote:
"B Kat" wrote in message
Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like moving
pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
tapeworms.

Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.

Most OTC wormers are older drugs andnot as safe as the newer drugs you get
from the vet. The few bucks you'll save isn't worth the risk.

There is an OTC Praziquantel (the same stuff you get from the vet)
that is perfectly legal to buy. I contacted the FDA and asked about it
and they said it's legal.

Old January 16th 07, 10:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
"B Kat" wrote in message
Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like

moving
pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
tapeworms.

Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.

Most OTC wormers are older drugs andnot as safe as the newer drugs you

get
from the vet. The few bucks you'll save isn't worth the risk.

There is an OTC Praziquantel (the same stuff you get from the vet)
that is perfectly legal to buy. I contacted the FDA and asked about it
and they said it's legal.

I know OTCs are legal- that's not what I meant.

Which brand are you referring to? I want to take a look at the formulation.

Old January 17th 07, 10:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike S.

Phil P. wrote:
"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Phil P. wrote:
"B Kat" wrote in message
Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like

moving
pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
tapeworms.

Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.

Most OTC wormers are older drugs andnot as safe as the newer drugs you

get
from the vet. The few bucks you'll save isn't worth the risk.

There is an OTC Praziquantel (the same stuff you get from the vet)
that is perfectly legal to buy. I contacted the FDA and asked about it
and they said it's legal.

I know OTCs are legal- that's not what I meant.

Which brand are you referring to? I want to take a look at the formulation.

The only brand I know of is Trade Winds. Their website -
tradewindsforpets.com

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood what you were talking about. It just
sounded like you didn't know that there was a legal OTC tapeworm pill.
I know that there are many websites that sell products that are
supposed to get rid of tapeworms and those products are unsafe because
they use older or uncommon main/active ingredients (something other
than Praziquantel). That's what I thought you were saying.