Are Squirre;s Bad Neighbors?

Old May 5th 10, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Are Squirre;s Bad Neighbors?

Our four player tag team squirrels were cavorting for our amusement
this morning. Then I noticed a rather rabid looking humming bird
take out after them They headed to the other side of the yard.

At first I just thought hummingbirds are agressive and fearless. We
always known that.

But then I wondered if they were protecting their nests. Would
squirrels steal eggs or baby birds out of their nests?

Jo

Old May 5th 10, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Jofirey wrote:
Our four player tag team squirrels were cavorting for our amusement this
morning. Then I noticed a rather rabid looking humming bird take out
after them They headed to the other side of the yard.

At first I just thought hummingbirds are agressive and fearless. We
always known that.

But then I wondered if they were protecting their nests. Would
squirrels steal eggs or baby birds out of their nests?

Yes, both. If they find a nest unattended, they will not just steal one
or two eggs or babies, they will take thwem all and destroy the nest in
the process. Squirrels are cute and funny, but they are predators all
the same. The worst neighbours a bird can have.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old May 5th 10, 12:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Jofirey" wrote in message
Our four player tag team squirrels were cavorting for our amusement this
morning. Then I noticed a rather rabid looking humming bird take out
after them They headed to the other side of the yard.

At first I just thought hummingbirds are agressive and fearless. We
always known that.

But then I wondered if they were protecting their nests. Would squirrels
steal eggs or baby birds out of their nests?

Jo

Yes, that's why some bird houses are sold with "squirrel guards" (sometimes
a wood extension around the hole, sometimes a metal plate around the hole).
Of course, hummingbirds do not have that protection, with their tiny little
nests. I love to watch squirrels, but they will quickly destroy eggs and
baby birds, and they can *also* be a disaster if they get into hoomin
homes--lots of gnawing on wood and wires.

MaryL

Old May 5th 10, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message
Our four player tag team squirrels were cavorting for our amusement this
morning. Then I noticed a rather rabid looking humming bird take out
after them They headed to the other side of the yard.

At first I just thought hummingbirds are agressive and fearless. We
always known that.

But then I wondered if they were protecting their nests. Would squirrels
steal eggs or baby birds out of their nests?

Jo

They definitely steal eggs and young. Back in Tennessee I had a grapevine
wreath on my glass-paned front door. Every year a determined little
Carolina Wren would build a nest between the wreath and the door. And every
year she'd lay eggs. But also every year a squirrel would get at the nest
and take the eggs so she would abandon the nest. I like squirrels, don't
get me wrong. But they are definitely predators.

Jill

Old May 5th 10, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karla

"Jofirey" wrote in message
[...]

Oh yeah, I didn't enjoy them living in my attic at all. It's amazing how
much noise they can make. It honestly sounded like a bowling alley
overhead, and it took months to get rid of them. I didn't do anything
inhumane, I used a combination of bright light, loud noise, and moth balls.
Karla

Old May 5th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.prisons,alt.arabic.politics
harry

On May 5, 2:03*am, "Jofirey" wrote:
Our four player tag team squirrels were cavorting for our amusement
this morning. *Then I noticed a rather rabid looking humming bird
take out after them *They headed to the other side of the yard.

At first I just thought hummingbirds are agressive and fearless. *We
always known that.

But then I wondered if they were protecting their nests. *Would
squirrels steal eggs or baby birds out of their nests?

Jo

Hello,

Squirrels, raccoons fox, wolves and wild dogs, (not to mention birds
with their lice and WestNile disease, and rabbits with rabies) are
prolific Rabies and flea carriers; cats arenot. As a matter of fact
cats keep the food supply to a minimum which helps control the
aggressive and, disease-carrying animals.

Where it not for the tiny, Maltese Cat (now extinct) the entire white
race would have been wiped out by the Pneumonic and Bubonic Plague. So
what will help us next time . . . . since all cats are geting too big,
once again, as they did back then . . .

Truly

Truth will set you free, according to Jesus in John 8:32
Old May 5th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
harry

On May 5, 8:37*am, "karla" wrote:

"Jofirey" wrote in message
[...]

Karla- Hide quoted text -

Hello,

In Florida we tried chicken wire, but they chewed right through it.

The best way to get rid of them is to plant nut trees far away from
the house, barn, garage etc.- or get feral cats. Same way with moles
that can totally destroy your lawn once they get in. I have a neighbor
that is being ruined by moles, who sent one of my sweet, feral boys to
the humane society. May she burn in mole hell and she sure is, because
her back yard is sinking.- stupid btch.

Old May 5th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.prisons,alt.arabic.politics
kraut[_2_]

[...]

You never did answer the original question though!! :-)

I do not know so I won't try.

Old May 5th 10, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.prisons,alt.arabic.politics
harry

On May 5, 12:54*pm, kraut wrote:
[...]

I do not know so I won't try.- Hide quoted text -

Hello,

Give a man a fish, he eats for one meal; teach him to fish, he feeds
himself and family for the rest of his life. Consider yourself taught,
sweety.- but can you learn . . . ?????

Old May 5th 10, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message
Our four player tag team squirrels were cavorting for our amusement this
morning. Then I noticed a rather rabid looking humming bird take out
after them They headed to the other side of the yard.

At first I just thought hummingbirds are agressive and fearless. We
always known that.

But then I wondered if they were protecting their nests. Would squirrels
steal eggs or baby birds out of their nests?

Yes, they certainly do.
Let's do a deal _ USA take back their grey squirrels, in return we'll have
our sparrows.
Tweed