Purrs for Jezebel and Smokey

Old May 4th 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix[_2_]

Default Purrs for Jezebel and Smokey

Hi, all. Been a long time since I posted. We've been up to our
a** in alligators around here, what with financial problems,
family problems, and your occasional cat issue. Things seem to be
a bit better on the financial and family fronts, but have
worsened this morning on the cat front.

Yesterday, I called the vet and got an appointment for today to
bring Jezebel (17yo tortie DSH spayed) and Smokey (17yo black DSH
spayed) in.

Smokey is having a recurrence of her URI and we want them to find
out what the problem really is; the vet said to bring her back as
soon as she started making congest-ey noises, which she has.
Purrs requested for the vet to find out what's underlying these
recurring infections...we can't just have her live on
antibiotics, it's not good for her tummy. And since she lives in
the Kitty Gerontology Unit (our bedroom & bath, which has
accommodations for kitties with less than stellar continence), I
don't really want her barfing all over the place...The pee pads
are enough fun as it is. Plus she's just not happy when she gets
sick, who would be?

But I really request purrs for Jezebel, who had been acting kinda
funny but nothing notable (was eating, purring, demanding
scritchies, using the cat box...not isolating or anything) for
about a week. Yesterday morning we theorized that she had maybe
lost the sight in her remaining eye (she lost one eye in a fight
many years ago). I didn't react to light, much, and she wasn't
reacting to visual stimuli.

However, this morning I am REALLY glad we have the appointment.
She has collapsed twice unable to use her legs, she appears to be
blind and possibly deaf. We fear she is having small (or larger)
TIAs. We very much fear it is time to put her to sleep. (and both
of us have gotten this from her in the last day, that she's done,
thanks, can she leave now? but we don't want to, just don't want
to).

She is the softest cat I ever met after Belle, my heart-cat (RB).
She has the sweetest MrrrRP! and has always been a real lady.
(OK, except for getting into fights where she loses an eye.) I
will miss her. And I strongly suspect we will come home without
her today.

Sad, and leaving soon for the vet,
Deborah

--

"Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in health care is the
most shocking and inhumane."-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old May 4th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Phoenix" wrote in message
[...]

Sending lots and lots of purrs for you all, as well as some strong
understanding comforting vibe from me as well.

Jo

Old May 4th 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Phoenix wrote:
[...]

Sending our purrs for Jezebel and Smokey. May they be comforted when
their time draws close . MLB
Old May 4th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Purrs for Jezebel, Smoky, and you.

--
Joy

Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away.

Old May 5th 10, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_5_]

Ohhhh, Purrs. and prayers lovingly sent from our home to yours.
So sorry to hear all this
Love Kyla

"Phoenix"

Old May 5th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On May 4, 3:50*pm, Phoenix
wrote:
Hi, all. Been a long time since I posted. We've been up to our
a** in alligators around here, what with financial problems,
family problems, and your occasional cat issue. Things seem to be
a bit better on the financial and family fronts, but have
worsened this morning on the cat front.

Yesterday, I called the vet and got an appointment for today to
bring Jezebel (17yo tortie DSH spayed) and Smokey (17yo black DSH
spayed) in.

Purrs for everything to go as well as possible.

--
Will in New Haven
Old May 5th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix[_2_]

Default UPDATE Jezebel

We had to put Jezebel to sleep. She was about 17, a beautiful
tortoiseshell with the softest fur we'd ever encountered except
for Belle (RB).

She adopted us sometime around 1994-1995, showing up on our deck
and saying "Hi! I'm home!" To which we responded "who the heck
are YOU?" and she said "Jezebel" and marched into the house and
settled in. She ignored the dogs, got along pretty well with the
other cats in her early years. In her later years she was crabby,
pretty much whacking any other cat that got in her path. She was
John's desk cat, sitting on his lap while he worked, for the last
many years. At one point about 5 years ago, she got in a fight
outside and sustained damage to her right eye. She spent 10 days
boarding at the vet while they fought infection and saved her
eyeball, but she lost her vision in that eye. We thought for sure
we would lose her then, but she pulled through.

She had been clingy for a few days, then yesterday was acting
odd, as if she couldn't see, and her good eye did not respond to
light much. So I called the vet, thinking it was probably a small
stroke, and we got an appointment for today. This morning, she
was unable to walk, collapsing on the floor...then walking a
little bit, then collapsing again. She did not respond to
auditory cues, and her muscles had very little tone. We were
really worried.

At the vet, we learned that she was very jaundiced and had a
large mass in her abdomen. The vet said there was very little
chance of pulling her through, so we chose the kind option and
let her go.

I hate owning pets, because of this part. They do not live long
enough, and we have to make the choice to ease them out when it's
time. And it's sometimes very hard to tell when it's time.

And I often wish that we could do the same with humans, who can
at least tell us when they are done and want release.

Six cats. We've never had six cats. We went from 4 (Fearless,
Belle, Princess, Squeaky) to 8 (Spooky and her 3 stowaways,
Trouble, Tigger and Smokey).

Sigh.

Deborah
slave to....what? the Stupendous Six? Will have to think on that.
Old May 5th 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Phoenix" wrote in message
[...]

((((((((Deborah))))))))

I am so sorry. It never gets any easier, no matter how many times you go
through it.

Joy

Old May 5th 10, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
harry

On May 4, 8:31*pm, Phoenix
wrote:
[...]

Hello,

"6"?

Properly fed that would be about 30 lbs of kitty = a very small dog in
regard to a St. Bernard . . . Go fur it, kid, youare still way
behind . . .

Truly

Truth will set you free, according to Jesus in Hohn 8:32.