Do domestic cats "spit"?

Old August 16th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stampir

Default Do domestic cats "spit"?

I've heard cats can trill, meow, yowl, hiss, growl and spit. I've personally
only
heard cats trill, meow, yowl, hiss and growl. When people say cats can spit,
what
exactly do they mean? I remember spitting on other kids when I was a kid but
I can't really see a kitty cat spitting on anyone or anything.

Old August 19th 08, 07:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stampir

"Cory" wrote in message
g...
In article ,
says...
I've heard cats can trill, meow, yowl, hiss, growl and spit. I've
personally
only heard cats trill, meow, yowl, hiss and growl. When people say cats
can spit,
what exactly do they mean? I remember spitting on other kids when I was a
kid but
I can't really see a kitty cat spitting on anyone or anything.

Think about how human beings can bring up a wad of saliva in their
mouths by doing a series of muscle movements. A cat spits in pretty
much the same way, I would think... and yes, FTR, I've seen cats spit
before. Cats I've seen spit are usually EXTREMELY angry by the time
they spit. Thus, IIRC, cats only spit as a last resort... meaning that
if hissing or growling doesn't frighten whatever the cat is trying to
frighten, only then will they resort to spitting.

--- Cory

--
"Life without liberty is like a body without spirit." --- Kahlil Gibran

At least I know now why I've never seen any of my feline friends
spit -- I've never seen them really mad. I don't think I really
want to.

I've actually only seen my feline friends hiss only a couple of times.
For some reason, I've seen Big Red growl a lot too -- he growled a
lot when he was kitten and got carried away w/playtime. He still growls when
a stranger comes into the house.

Old September 20th 13, 08:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

I have a cat that spits the fact she does makes me wander if she is a domestic or part wild she does it when over excitin durin playing it sounds like a "pop" and is always after a hiss
Old September 22nd 13, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Debby Hanoka[_2_]

Yeah, they sure do. When you put Lilith Kitten Mahoney (my spayed tabby and white) in the same room with Rosco P. Catrane (my sister's neutered yellow tabby) -- mind you, they've lived in the same house since Rosco was six months old -- there is INDEED spitting. It's all from Lilith. She HATES her cousin-cat with a passion. Lilith is a sedate twelve-year-old senior citizen kitty now. Rosco is an eight-year-old who is yet to outgrow kittenhood.

Debby