Introductions not going well

Old May 8th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default Introductions not going well

"blkcatgal" wrote

but they do work okay. From the first moment, my one cat took to the new
cat. They seem fine together. It's my other cat that is the problem. He
doesn't want anything to do with the new cat. He's curious and will come
up to the gate but as soon as he sees the new cat, he hisses and runs
away. This has been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I have tried
everything...feeding them on either side, treats, petting him when he
comes up to the new cat, talking nice, etc. He just isn't having any part
of it. And the new cat is getting pretty antzy in the bedroom...she wants
to be out of there. Anyone have any other suggestions for helping my cat
accept the new cat? I'm just about ready to give up, let the new cat out
and just hope for the best.

I'd relax a bit on this one for now. Even though you had the new one in the
basement for 6 weeks, for your house kitties, the new one has only been
there 2.5 weeks or so. Thats not long at all.

Whatever you do, don't 'force' the issue. The two will get along better and
easier if you let them decide when and how to meet.

You could go another week with the bedroom thing, but if you decide to let
the new one roam, thats ok. The existing kitties will probably avoid your
room for now.

Your main problem is probably spurred by jealousy of the new cat and
possibly the percieved 'honor' of getting to sleep in your room with you
grin. Especially if the existing kitties used to sleep in there but now
cant.

There might be a kitty battle, but usually it's fast and mostly loud with
little damage. Settling of pecking order sort of thing.

Old May 9th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Rene,
Have you ever heard of using Rescue Remedy transdermally...rubbing a drop
into the cat's ear? I think I read somewhere that someone used it that way.
I wonder if that is an acceptable way of using RR and if it works at all. I
found my bottle of RR and it hasn't expired yet so I did put a few drops in
my cats' water dish. Now if he would only take a drink!

Thanks.

S.
---
"Rene S." wrote in message

Yes, I am using Feliway. There's a diffuser plugged in right outside
the bedroom door where the new cat is staying. I also have a diffuser
plugged in in the living room on the main floor. I've been using
Feliway off and on for close to 5 years now. I'm not convinced that
it makes a difference, but I still use it. I haven't tried Rescue
Remedy yet but that may be a good idea too. Thanks.

You might consider getting this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Flower-Remedie...0272535&sr=8-1

I've used flower remedies on one of my cats with good results. What I
like about this book is the capulated information at the back, telling
you which remedy will help for which condition. You might try Beech
for tolerance for the original cat, for instance.

Old May 12th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On May 8, 6:20*pm, "blkcatgal" wrote:
Rene,
Have you ever heard of using Rescue Remedy transdermally...rubbing a drop
into the cat's ear? *I think I read somewhere that someone used it that way.
I wonder if that is an acceptable way of using RR and if it works at all. *I
found my bottle of RR and it hasn't expired yet so I did put a few drops in
my cats' water dish. *Now if he would only take a drink!

Yes, I have. In fact, the book I linked to describes a number of ways
to administer the remedies, including in the ear and rubbing some on
your hands and then rubbing the animal's head. If you scroll down on
this page a bit, it talks about different ways to give the dosage:
http://www.allourpets.com/holistic/bach-essences.shtml